Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
How about a bit of a work around?

Not sure if this would work, but get taker from the market. Make a task to specifically turn on and off the app, set a shortcut to that task on the desktop.

Not sure if it would work but it is an idea

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

You could also get a tag. Program it, stick it in the car, and it would turn off all apps and start the ones you want running while in the car. ( if that's what you programmed it to do.) :):thumbup:

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I still believe that swiping an app away does not close the app. I've experimented with several apps, and swiping doesn't always remove it from Running Apps. I suspect that when people see the memory clear after swiping it away, it is more of a coincidence.

If you have concerns about data usage, it might be helpful for you to turn off mobile data or wifi when you're not using it, unless it is necessary for you to have uninterrupted connectivity for email alerts or something similar. There are plenty of toggle apps out there that allow you to turn off mobile data or wifi with a single tap.

swiping an app away will close the app. the apps which wont close are the service apps which always run on the background.

try gmail for example. to see if apps are closed or not use any task manager. i used ATK.

1. open gmail.
2. open ATK to verify if app is running
3. swipe the app and then open ATK again. gmail would be closed.

I just tested this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
swiping an app away will close the app. the apps which wont close are the service apps which always run on the background.

try gmail for example. to see if apps are closed or not use any task manager. i used ATK.

1. open gmail.
2. open ATK to verify if app is running
3. swipe the app and then open ATK again. gmail would be closed.

I just tested this.

Still doesn't work for everything. I just tested swiping away Yahoo Sportacular, which Lookout Zapper shows as a killable task, and it didn't close it. This is on my RAZR Maxx running ICS, though, not my N7.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Still doesn't work for everything. I just tested swiping away Yahoo Sportacular, which Lookout Zapper shows as a killable task, and it didn't close it. This is on my RAZR Maxx running ICS, though, not my N7.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

the one that dont close are service apps just like windows services in windows.
it doesnt mean they are not closing. they close and reopen again because of the nature of their implementation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell if Sportacular is a service or not. Lookout Zapper lists it as "1 process, 0 services," and has a lightning bolt next to it signifying that it is a killable task, but as I mentioned above, if I swipe it away from the Recent Apps list, it remains. Oddly, it doesn't show up at all under the main Settings/Apps/Running Apps list.

But the fact that many apps run as services makes the whole idea of swiping away an app to close it unreliable anyway, since it will really only close the app maybe half the time (unless you know which is a service and which isn't).

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Swiping away applications will just make the thumbnail close.

Android likes to keep its ram full. Let's say you open Facebook, Twitter and Gmail everyday. You open Facebook, then finish. By just pressing the home button, you're keeping each application cached (stored) in your ram. Now, you open Twitter. You're done, so you push the home button, making it a cached process in your ram. Finally, you do the same thing for Gmail. The next day, your Facebook application will load up fast, since it is cached (stored) and ready to be opened. The same thing will happen to Twitter and Gmail. That's why you don't close each application.

Let's say you decide to close each application. The next day, you'll open Facebook and it will have to start the application again completely. This takes more processing power, which is bad. This is why you don't want to close every application.

You should also know that whenever your ram is full, Android automatically closes your old processes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jesus4gaveme03

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I understand that swiping the apps away doesn't necessarily close them, but using my Nexus 5 all day creates a rather long list of apps to choose from to "switch quickly" from one app to another. Coming from a Galaxy device, which includes a clear apps button, when I finish a group of apps, let's say for driving, I could just clear them away and have a shorter list to choose from for my next set of tasks, let's say shopping, etc. Not to mention, swiping away a long list one by one takes too much time and can get annoying. Is there a way to do this on the Nexus?

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my Nexus 7 - still running stock rom - and installed Xposed Framework/gravity box.
It allowed me to add the "clear all" button in the multitasking view.

Posted from my SGH-I337M

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So i've tried searching the internet as well as on this forum and i can't find any post or anyone showing how i can clear all apps at once.

Is there a way to do this on the N7? or am i missing something and i just have to deal with swiping them away one by one?

To get to where you can clear all inside the recent activities list with one click, use Xposed + Gravity Box...

If you want a faster experience (this improved mine quite a lot) go to settings/apps/all and disable the Google apps you never use. (Tap on app, clear cache, force stop, then disable) it's amazing what disabling a few background apps can do to your tablet speed.

YES!!! Always a must...

You're right on that one. :):thumbup: ...I've been doing a little exploring in settings, and found that in settings/developer options, at the bottom there is an option to make it so that apps close whenever you leave them. "Don't keep activities" is the name in jelly bean.

That's a new one for me. Thanks. Implemented immediately. :D

jagbirs

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Recent apps list is STUPID. Within about 2 days I get about a hundred cards in it and is useless for anything.

You can clear it by factory reset!