Buying a nexus 7, need your help!!!

Vaibhav Sharma1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, i have come across many posts in which people have reported that their devices have been bricked and im kinda scared that i might brick mine.

so what are the most common ways(accidentally or otherwise) in which the n7 gets bricked also people say that a backup should be made, so my question is, what kind of backup should i make and how?

im buying an n7 and i will be going to law school after sometime so thats the only device ill have so my other questions are

1.Can i download and watch mkv movies directly on the n7?
2.will need a laptop for backing up and restoring?
3.what are the advantages of rooting(other than being able to add custom roms and stuff)

thanks

(srry for the noobish questions)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you brick your device only if you do things which you had no clue. nexus devices for the most part cannot be bricked or I can say its easily recoverable.

the posts you see people saying they bricked their nexus 7 are people who dont know what to do next.

1. yes, MX player will play most videos. xbmc for live streaming
2. backup restore will be done on the device itself but if you want to save it to PC for safe keeping then yes.
3. point no 2 is one advantage of rooting.rooting give the option to backup and restore your whole system.

Last edited:

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes (as mentioned MX and other apps)
2. Maybe, if you take advantage of google's many free services, then no, not really. Though I can't imagine going to collage with just a tablet, but I suppose it's possible.
3. Mostly so you can use a memory stick via the USB port and a OTG cable. There are other reasons, but they are more of a individual nature.

Vaibhav Sharma1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
ok, thanks lot guys! also will i need to backup my device before installing official updates(like keylime pie which i think is releasing in march) and people are complaining about the 4.2,x updates so i should avoid that right?

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ok, thanks lot guys! also will i need to backup my device before installing official updates(like keylime pie which i think is releasing in march) and people are complaining about the 4.2,x updates so i should avoid that right?
You can't update to key lime pie if you don't update to 4.2.1.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with 4.2.1

No you don't need to backup before installing updates. But it won't hurt

Vaibhav Sharma1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You can't update to key lime pie if you don't update to 4.2.1.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with 4.2.1

No you don't need to backup before installing updates. But it won't hurt

oh... im cause a lot of people have complained about bluetooth problems,battery problems,sluggish interface,etc.

(srry for asking so many questions, im not very rich and thats im using a tab only plus if i screw it up ill have to send it to the US for repair/replacement which isnt very cheap)

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Often times the problems you mention are from conflicting programs, downloads or just overloading your n7. There are many tips on this forum that should help you around most issues. Live wallpapers and widgets on every page slow the device down and make it sluggish. IMO your biggest concern should be protecting the screen as far as keeping cost down should be almost the only reason to have to send it here.

Vaibhav Sharma1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Often times the problems you mention are from conflicting programs, downloads or just overloading your n7. There are many tips on this forum that should help you around most issues. Live wallpapers and widgets on every page slow the device down and make it sluggish. IMO your biggest concern should be protecting the screen as far as keeping cost down should be almost the only reason to have to send it here.

k thanks n yeah ive just received my n7 and its running on 4.2 and till now ive faced no probs.