Text messaging (and potentially voice) app for Nexus 7

George Zhao

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!

So basically, I'm studying abroad in a foreign land for one semester and I don't want to buy a smartphone. I do have a nexus 7 and use it constantly, but had only used it for internet browsing mostly. I'd like to be able to find a compatible SMS and perhaps voice-capable application that I can use to keep in touch with people. I've tried WhatsApp and Viber and they aren't compatible with the N7.

Would be most appreciative if you guys had any recommendations (I'm sure there must be something)! Free is preferable, but not imperative. Thanks in advance!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I use Talk a tone with google voice (all free, except there are international rates I think with google voice)....

The google voice we're speaking of is setup via your gmail account, not the google voice app, which I think is limited and won't function as a "phone" with the nexus 7...

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend "textPlus"--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.gogii.textplusgold&token=afMMj6-m
It assigns you a standard North American # so they receive as they would any normal SMS & on your side it comes in normally too within that App itself

Or you could use "SyncSMS"--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.d0lph1nk1ng.syncsms&token=A7A5eZ0a
Just be sure to set it up before travelling making sure it works & then whenever someone TXT's your cell (that you leave turned on & charging in North America) it'll sync to your tablet abroad within that App & you'll be able to reply as if you were using your phone at home.

I've used both options as I have several devices & a couple lines - both options have worked great when I've traveled. Just keep in mind you'll need a Data (3G/Wi-Fi) connection to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

George Zhao

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look at Groove late on in the day--that's just for calling to the states and Canada right? So wouldn't work for calling/receiving calls in hong kong (that's where I am), right? Groove would at least be useful for interview calls back home.

Unfortunately I'm already abroad, and did not leave a phone at home charging, so that means no SyncSMS.

And forgive me for being a technological troglobite, but from what I'm inferring there isn't just a way to utilize my tablet to send/receive local text messages?