New Nexus 7 owner with a question or two

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
If you change the volume there's a settings button on the volume bar that comes up and if you press the button it will bring up the notification volume as well.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Greetings, just got a Nexus 7 32gb and love it! Sold my iPad for it so I could have only one ecosystem to buy into (have a Galaxy S III as my phone) and so far I can't see myself going back to anything Apple. Couple questions though:

1) It comes with like 5 blank pages, no icons on them, and these are simple to remove on the GSIII, but I can't figure out how to delete them on the Nexus.

2) As this device only has 1GB of RAM, I would like to monitor it closer and make sure that when it gets low, I know it, and can quickly close apps that are running. Does anyone know of any notifications or widgets that bring RAM usage onto the screen so I don't have to go into Settings everytime?

3) The wife is getting annoyed at being woken up by email notifications in the middle of the night. On my GSIII, I just have to swipe down from the notification bar and there is a "mute" feature. I can't find one on the Nexus 7 and I really don't want to have to turn my volume down every night. There has to be a better way.....right?

On 1 are you talking about the homescreen panels?

2 not sure

3 silent mode or go into whichever email app you use and go to the settings and turn off the notification sounds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

droidprototype

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this closes apps or not but in the multitasking menu on the bottom right of the screen you can swipe away apps and they disappear. I always clean up my open apps there just to keep things neat...

And congrats on your new N7!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea, you don't have to bother closing apps with a memory cleaner on android. And actually on newer versions forcing some apps to close could cause some instability, and/or they'll just re-open in the backround anyway. Don't worry too much about it.

I'm a big fan of Nova Launcher, use it on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I keep it looking almost exactly like stock Android, except that I disable wallpaper scrolling(i hate it) and I set the app drawer to be transparent to I can see the wallpaper in the app drawer. That is probably the *only* think I like about Touchwiz UX on the GS3. But you can also change other things like homescreens, etc.

And for turning off sounds/notifications, there are about a thousand toggle widgets that will do that for you. I personally use Beautiful Widgets. I use it for both a clock/weather widget as well as toggle widgets for wifi, bluetooth, auto rotate, and silent mode.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
#1: You can install an alternate launcher, such as Nova Prime and change the number of screens.

#2: You don't have to close apps. ICS and JB do a great job of managing available memory. :)

#3: There are apps available. Take a look at these and see if they meet your needs:

Silent Widget

Silent on charge (just as it says, plug it in to charge and then it silences itself).

I also use AutomatIt Pro and wrote an action that when the device is turned face down, then it silences.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 7 uses the stock Android launcher for the home screens which doesn't allow you to add or delete the home screens, but you can install a different launcher if you want extra features, Nova Launcher will let you do what you want, but there are other launchers.

Nova Launcher is the BEST. Give you even more control that basic android OS. Give it a try and then buy the upgraded version for even more great features. I have spent the extra and I love it.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use Slider Widget for a volume level of each notification

Use 1 Tap Cleaner Pro. Can do it manually OR set it to do automatically It lets you know on front how much is used

***So did I read correct above (and other posts) I am the opposite, I want to add screens. I need to use another launcher.. How about Infinite scrolling, can the Nexus 7 do that, or do I need...you guessed it, another launcher :) Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech