Is Google Nexus 7 tablet the only tablet with micro-USB charging outlet ?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm intrigued by the Google Nexus 7 tablet. I also like the fact this tablet is charged by the widely used micro-USB outlet, which is the same outlet that many Android phones use. My question is this. Is this the only tablet that uses a micro-USB charging outlet? Is there a Google Nexus 10" screen tablet that uses the same outlet? Are there other tablets that use the same outlet? If so, what are the other tablets? I'm interested in getting a tablet, and I prefer getting one that is powered by a micro-USB outlet. Thanks! Casey

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 10 is charged by micro USB as well. Takes forever to charge but yeah convenient I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
yea, I think most 7" tablets charge via micro USB. A lot of 10" tablets use a proprietary plug because their batteries are so massive a proprietary charger can provide more power than even a 2.1a charger using micro USB.

The batteries on tablets like the Nexus 10 and iPad. are twice as large as a tablet like the Nexus 7, which is why it would take the N10 twice as long to charge as the N7 :)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you're referring to current tablets only, but the HP Touchpad uses a micro USB port for charging & data.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Note that the N7 also has the pogo pins on the side which also can be used for charging with the dock charger soon to be available in US. The Blackberry Playbook also has the pogo pins. Many people prefer to use the pogo pin charge method routinely to avoid overuse of the USB port which is relied on for other things. The main omission of the N7 for some is the lack of an HDMI port.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I was impressed with the 32GB version of the Nexus 7. Anyone know if there will be a newer version of the Nexus 7 coming out soon?
What's this rumour of a $99 Nexus tablet I've seen on the internet? By the way, the reason I'm interested in micro-USB charging is because I have many batteries and chargers that use micro-USB, including my Samsung Note 2 phone. That means I don't have to worry about power or the device dying in the middle of nowhere. Conversely, that's also why I'd rather not get a tablet that uses proprietary charging cables/outlets. I'm also partial to Google operating system. Thanks! Casey

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of warning though, just because the end of the cable is micro USB doesn't mean that all chargers are created equal. The actual charger needs to be able to charge at 2.1A to charge the Nexus 7 in a reasonable amount of time. Almost all phone chargers I know of charge at 1A, I think I've seen 1.2A somewhere before. So while they will provide power, it is definitely not ideal.

As for the next nexus tablet. There are always rumours about the "next" device, because there will always be the next device. will a $99 Nexus 7 come out? Maybe, maybe not. IF it does it'll be a stripped down version of what we have now to get the manufacturing costs down, or possibly discounting the current N7 to $99 when the next one is announced. But again, that's just an educated guess on my part. The only people who know are Google and whoever is building the next thing for them.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a word of warning though, just because the end of the cable is micro USB doesn't mean that all chargers are created equal. The actual charger needs to be able to charge at 2.1A to charge the Nexus 7 in a reasonable amount of time. Almost all phone chargers I know of charge at 1A, I think I've seen 1.2A somewhere before. So while they will provide power, it is definitely not ideal.

As for the next nexus tablet. There are always rumours about the "next" device, because there will always be the next device. will a $99 Nexus 7 come out? Maybe, maybe not. IF it does it'll be a stripped down version of what we have now to get the manufacturing costs down, or possibly discounting the current N7 to $99 when the next one is announced. But again, that's just an educated guess on my part. The only people who know are Google and whoever is building the next thing for them.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding amps needed to sufficiently charge the tablet. I do have some special adapters that are 2.1 amps that are specifically meant for higher output. One adapter is from TomTom the makers of GPS units that makes a car charger specifically for higher output of power. Plus I have another adapter from Verizon or someplace that is USB powered that is also 2.1 amps. So hopefully these adapters that put out more power will charge the tablet. I also have various USB powered batteries that output anywhere from 2,000 milliamps to 16,000 milliamps, but I have no idea if these will sufficiently charge the tablet. I'm planning on taking the tablet for weekend camping trips and I might not have electricity power, but will have USB powered batteries that will hopefully work. Plus my camper van has an auxillary battery with a 1,000 watt inverter so I can plug in small appliances for charging. I also have a couple portable solar powered battery chargers by Orange Joos and Gorilla (something?) that has a micro-USB adapter for charging devices. I know the Orange Joos solar charger can charge an iPad (or so the manufacturer claims), so I'm guessing it should also be able to charge an Android tablet as well.

I don't mind buying a $99 Nexus tablet, which would essentially make it a disposable device for my occasional usage. Otherwise, I don't mind paying a couple hundred dollars for the current Nexus 7 tablet. I do wish the Nexus 7 offers a MicroSD card slot, but alas it doesn't. An HDMI output would be nice, but not totally necessary since my Verizon Samsung Note 2 already has an HDMI outlet that I can mirror onto a television unit. As for a rear camera, that would be nice too, but I don't see myself taking many pics with a tablet. I do however take many pictures with my Note 2 phone, since the quality is quite good. I don't even do any type of video conferencing, so even the front camera is of little use for me. Storage is always the biggie, so I'm hoping the 32 GB model will last for at least some years before I run out.

As for internet access, I would use my Verizon Samsung Note 2 phone to provide internet access to the Nexus 7 tablet via the PdaNet+ and FoxFi apps installed on my phone which works great! I had already tested this at a Staples store, and had 2 tablets connected to my phone for internet access simultaneously. I'm sure I could have wirelessly tethered even more tablets, since I don't know what the limit is, but I'm guessing maybe several devices simultaneously for internet access through my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm