Wanted: current alternatives to N7

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am disappointed by my N7's lack of a rear camera (note: I knew that it didn't have one before purchasing, thought that I could live with just a front cam... I can't)

And I know that a new N7 is rumored for I/O time frame... and that new tablets get announced ...

As of this writing, what 7" tablets exist for less than $250 that have a rear facing camera?

I know about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 v2... any others?

Anyone care to share their opinions of the N7 vs the Galaxy Tab 2 or tablets with a rear camera?

If I switched to a Galaxy Tab 2, what would I miss/lose that I have with my N7 now?

Thanks....

Because it likely be asked, here is why I want/need a rear camera on my 7" tablet:

-------------

I personally want a rear camera because:

I sell a lot online (Listia, Amazon, eBay, CraigsList, etc) and both Listia and eBay have fantastic Android apps that allow the pictures to be easily taken on the fly...

Neither support the front camera...

Also, I shop a lot on Amazon... their Android app is super handy for scanning barcodes and looking stuff up... it doesn't support the front facing camera...

Etc...etc...etc...

Both my phone and iPad 4 have rear cameras... I find myself having to grab one or the other every time I want to post something which is inconvenient...

-------------
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Acer A110 has good specs, but being an owner of the older A100, I'd be concerned about viewing angle and battery life, both of which are poor on the latter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

RodLS

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Why do you want a camera on a tablet? In my opinion taking a picture with a huge tablet looks silly. For that reason I'm glad they left the camera off.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Why do you want a camera on a tablet? In my opinion taking a picture with a huge tablet looks silly. For that reason I'm glad they left the camera off.

I updated the original post while you were posting this legitimate question...

See OP for my answer... thanks

And yes, use a tablet for general photography needs is silly... IMHO...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm also eyeballing the Tab 2 7.0, and will probably buy one if I can get confirmation that I can use the Square card swiper on it. I still really like my N7, but payments is part of why I bought it, only to find it didn't work. If anyone can confirm Square works on it, please say so. I'm sad to be looking at non-Vanilla Android, and a lower resolution screen, though.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Before this, I had the Acer A100 and it ended up getting too cold and it stopped working. It was in my pocket for 2 hours when I was outside in 30 degree weather. . . so it was very unexpected.

The A100 has terrible viewing angles, a very lack luster battery life, terrible update support, and the overall screen quality is not as good. You have to be holding the A100 or it won't register touches correctly (like if it is on a table). I think it is a grounding issue, but I'm not real sure. It FELT like a sub $300 tablet, where the N7 does not. Also, it is heavier and thicker.

I hope that the next gen Nexus has a rear camera.

Quelch

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Buy a Canon IXY 30 camera or similar and take high quality pictures
Photos from any phone or tablet camera are mediocre
High quality images make you look like a quality business with quality products

Image is everything !

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm also eyeballing the Tab 2 7.0, and will probably buy one if I can get confirmation that I can use the Square card swiper on it. I still really like my N7, but payments is part of why I bought it, only to find it didn't work. If anyone can confirm Square works on it, please say so. I'm sad to be looking at non-Vanilla Android, and a lower resolution screen, though.

From what I have been reading there won't be a Note 2 7 inch but instead an 8 inch form factor. So I am considering that as well...

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Buy a Canon IXY 30 camera or similar and take high quality pictures
Photos from any phone or tablet camera are mediocre
High quality images make you look like a quality business with quality products

Image is everything !

You make a reasonable point. I have a nice digicam... but as far as I know, the eBay app down samples the resolution ... I know that the Listia app does for sure... and Craigslist does for sure.

The convenience of not switching devices for each item that I post will be a big benefit.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
That's kind of like asking for an alternative to women...

So Gay, apple or be like the poor guy trying to start a whore house. Just run it by hand until you get on your feet....... :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I play around with a Galaxy Tab at Costco (either 7" or 10"), I'm always struck by how sluggish the homescreen swiping is. I figure that it's due to Touchwiz, but it's a real turnoff. Does anyone else notice this?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I play around with a Galaxy Tab at Costco (either 7" or 10"), I'm always struck by how sluggish the homescreen swiping is. I figure that it's due to Touchwiz, but it's a real turnoff. Does anyone else notice this?

I think that it is more due to the fact that both have crappy insides more than touch wiz. I had a note10.1 and my boyfriend still has one and no issues with lag at all. I think the new note 8 tablet will be a really good one to hop on

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I think that it is more due to the fact that both have crappy insides more than touch wiz. I had a note10.1 and my boyfriend still has one and no issues with lag at all. I think the new note 8 tablet will be a really good one to hop on

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

I picked up a Note 10.1 at CostCo yesterday to play with... wanted to see if the dual view was useful, etc...

It is definitely not as fast as my N7 but I wouldn't call it sluggish. It seems to be having some WiFi issues intermittently...

I will definitely return it. The 10in form factor isn't what I want for my daily driver... I hardly ever use our iPad 4s for that reason.

Some have complained that the Note 10.1 feels cheap and plasticky... it feels fine to me and I love it's contour compared to the iPad which is awful to hold, IMHO. Too sharp.

The bottom line is that I will give the Note 8 a look... I am pretty certain that it will be more than I want to spend... if Samsung could price it at the current GT2 7.0 price, that would be killer...

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I am disappointed by my N7's lack of a rear camera

I remember seeing a camera orientation changing device for one of the older iphones. It's basically just a small tunnel with 2 mirrors. I used to have a toy that did the same as a kid. Might look into rigging one up if this is the only thing bugging you. You could fashion one out of 2 disco-ball 1 cm or less pieces of mirror, cardboard and tape. Go over it with some black spraypaint or electrical tape and noone will even know you made it yourself. "OH where can I get one of those?!"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca