Any better keyboards to try

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with swype. It is so fast to type, has great predictive text and easy to replace incorrectly predicted text. It takes a while to get used to, but once you nail it, it can be faster than writing.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I got a couple of keyboards to try from google play. How do you enable them. I see them in the settings but when I check them the android stock keyboard still comes up. How do you disable the android keyboard. I see it has a check mark that cannot be deleted.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Once they are enabled, open any app that pops up the keyboard. In your notification window, you will see an icon for a keyboard. Tab on it and it will let you select other input methods.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the stock keyboard, I have used the latest Swype Beta, Swiftkey 3, and Swiftkey Flow Beta.

I constantly find myself going back to Swype Beta, for me at least, it seems to work and look best. I am really impressed with the Swiftkey "brains", but there is just something about Swype Beta that I prefer. Maybe the shortcuts? Not sure, but it just feels right when I use it.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I also tried Swiftkey flow beta and I like the appearance options, but the main problem I have with it is it is pretty hard to fix incorrect words. In Swype, you can tab on any word that you have written and it will present you with alternatives. It is so simple and easy to do, but in Flow, it doesn't work like that and you have to delete the word and try again.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am a fan of the Swiftkey keyboards but recently downloaded and used a new one called Kii keyboard. The prediction engine isn't quite as good as swiftkey but you can customize it like crazy. You can download different keyboard styles and do tons of changes to key size. I would still be using it if the predictions were a bit better.

If you do try Swiftkey I suggest using the "light" theme. It looks so much better than the dark themes IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(5486833)

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Smart keyboard has a slider where you can adjust the key size ( mostly in height ) and the keys are larger than the android keyboards to start with. It also has options to adjust keyboard layout ( arrow keys, dot com key, etc. ) to your taste. Smart keyboard also has spell checking and predictive text. I got it because androids keyboard keys were to small for my big fingers and it works good for me. There is a free version you can try out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Diknak, I found the installer and installed the keyboard. Now I have to learn to use it :).

Do any of you worry about "Attention: This input method may be able to collect all the text you type including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers. It comes from the app Swype Beta 1.4. Use this input method?" I must say it startled me and makes me wonder if I should keep the Swype keyboard but maybe all keyboards can do the same and I just don't know it?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That is a generic warning message that Android will give you for any keyboard that you install. It is just a cover-your-ass message from Android.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Diknak, I found the installer and installed the keyboard. Now I have to learn to use it :).

Do any of you worry about "Attention: This input method may be able to collect all the text you type including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers. It comes from the app Swype Beta 1.4. Use this input method?" I must say it startled me and makes me wonder if I should keep the Swype keyboard but maybe all keyboards can do the same and I just don't know it?

You're installing a keyboard; it has access to everything you type on your device while using said keyboard. The warning is there for user awareness, and while you should certainly keep it in mind when installing input methods, it isn't something to be overly-concerned about when using any of the more popular and well-respected keyboards for Android. I would include Swype and SwiftKey in those categories. It's the same line of thinking as "LauncherX can track every application you install, open, and add shortcuts for," or "YBrowser can track every page you visit and the content you download."

It's something to be aware of, but the potential for exploitation is intrinsically linked to the core function of the application. Browsers handle your browsing data, launchers know which applications you use on your phone, and keyboards know what you type.

Doesn't mean they keep track of it. :)

liljew

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Although it's routine, you should be wary of sideloading ANY app if you don't have reason to trust the source. You can protect yourself somewhat by not logging into the crowdsourcing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TapATalk

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that you can always use an external USB keyboard - perhaps the same one you are already used to - and mouse on the N7 with only an OTG adapter and hub needed. A powered hub would minimize the small battery drain involved. If you are a touch typist and perhaps even a two finger typist, a full size keyboard may be much faster than a screen based one, with no compromise in size or loss of keys.

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I also came to recommend swiftkey, but see it was the first reply already. SO, I'll just hijack this instead! Any way to add swype functionality to Swiftkey?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I also came to recommend swiftkey, but see it was the first reply already. SO, I'll just hijack this instead! Any way to add swype functionality to Swiftkey?
Yes you can download the new Swiftkey Flow keyboard. It is still in Beta but it's free. Just go to www.swiftkey.com/flow for the link. You have to side load it.

You can also check out Kii keyboard in the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol