Memory Leak?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the balance is from system processes that don't get listed, in order to protect you from accidentally closing a crucial process.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You'll just drive yourself nuts doing this. If your system isn't being bogged down, don't focus on this issue, because you're just at odds with how Android works. In general, the OS will try to keep most of the RAM occupied, so closing processes will just prompt the OS either to restart the same process (if it's used a lot) or start another commonly used process, in an attempt to be ready for your next function.

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
You'll just drive yourself nuts doing this. If your system isn't being bogged down, don't focus on this issue, because you're just at odds with how Android works. In general, the OS will try to keep most of the RAM occupied, so closing processes will just prompt the OS either to restart the same process (if it's used a lot) or start another commonly used process, in an attempt to be ready for your next function.
Yea I guess so. And about closing a crucial process I think I did that already. I disabled the clock and the upper right wouldn't move forward in time until I rebooted. Even windows will continue to keep an inaccurate clock if you disconnect from the internet...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea I guess so. And about closing a crucial process I think I did that already. I disabled the clock and the upper right wouldn't move forward in time until I rebooted. Even windows will continue to keep an inaccurate clock if you disconnect from the internet...

Yes, the clock in Windows will continue if you disconnect from the internet, but so will the clock in Android. Now, if you were to disable the clock in Windows (not sure if that's possible, but for argument's sake) just as you're doing in Android, then I'm sure it would glitch as well!

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Stop force closing things. The more free ram you have the worse. Android is nothing like Windows because in android free ram is just wasted ram, so it is written to keep as much ram occupied as possible.

You shouldn't notice your system get bogged down, but if you ever do a simple reboot to refresh the ram will solve it.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the clock in Windows will continue if you disconnect from the internet, but so will the clock in Android. Now, if you were to disable the clock in Windows (not sure if that's possible, but for argument's sake) just as you're doing in Android, then I'm sure it would glitch as well!

PC time is based on a CMOS time crystal clock hardware circuit (that at one time also controlled the CPU speed. We used to overclock early pcs by substituting a higher clocked crystal.) The clock runs (and keeps time) as long as you have a battery in the slot on the motherboard.

In addition, you can synchronize your network clocks with W32Time service.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
unless you know more than android predicts and are certain to be finished with an app until next shutdown...this is not hard to do since often crap that reloads has nothing to do with what you want and more to do with what google and other app writers want...

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Cached processes don't use any battery or cpu so why bother closing them? You are just wasting your ram.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
yeh, so ?

what about the uncached processes ? In any case, closing an app does not generally clear memory but instead simply drops the mapped register pointers. If Android loads something into RAM, it uses CPU cycles and battery - if it writes the cache into storage it uses CPU cycles and battery....I don't understand what is to be gained ...this logic is just so much BS.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but if the app is loaded into RAM and stays there waiting to be used, without anyone trying to constantly close it, shouldn't that on balance conserve CPU usage and battery? Besides, I thought that the idea of keeping apps in RAM wasn't so much to save battery or CPU cycles, but rather to allow the app to start up quickly and efficiently.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but if the app is loaded into RAM and stays there waiting to be used, without anyone trying to constantly close it, shouldn't that on balance conserve CPU usage and battery? Besides, I thought that the idea of keeping apps in RAM wasn't so much to save battery or CPU cycles, but rather to allow the app to start up quickly and efficiently.

yes, i understand all that even if I disagree with certain aspects of those 'facts'. My point was that my intelligence about future use of a particular app is vastly superior to that of Android's since I generally know when I am done using an app for the foreseeable future. The second half of my point was that it is more efficient to close those apps you are done with so that they DON'T bother to load into cache since they will NOT be used.

The overall point is that in theory, this Android behavior is laudable, but in reality humans often know better than the "machines" and should take advantage of that fact. In any case, people telling me what is best for me and my hardware is the worst sort of advocacy and not necessarily factually based.

It's like global thermageddon, where the opinions masquerading as fact far outweigh and distort the actual reality.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member