No default weather app/widget??

bronsonelliott

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is there no default (built-in) weather app in the Nexus 7? I notice one came on my Samsung Galaxy S3 so figured the Nexus would have one.

I realize the Galaxy has some Samsung stuff built but looking at everything the Nexus does have it seems like an odd exclusion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Look at it as a blessing. The N7 is thankfully free of bloatware or other proprietary apps/widgets that may not do exactly what you want them to do. Unwanted preinstalled apps like this only take up storage space, and you can't uninstall them unless you root. There are so many good weather apps and widgets on Google Play, many of them free, that I'm sure you'll find what you want without difficulty.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Swiping up from the home button brings up Google Now. The top card for me is usually weather. For me on the tablet this is enough, although I do like Notification Weather also, which puts it on your notification bar and as a top slot on your notification drop down. I reeaaally love that app.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I generally like Palmary Weather on my devices but on my n7, I'm using Transparent Weather Clock which is a nice weather/clock/battery combo widget.

bronsonelliott

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm kind of a weather junkie so I'd like an app that has a good widget included so I can put it on my home screen. I'd also like the widget to update regularly as well as have the ability to be refreshed manually. And lastly, the app needs to have a radar module included.

I've played around with the Weather Channel app but the one drawback I've noticed is that my GPS must be turned on or the widget doesn't refresh. Not sure if I'm just missing a setting but that seems unusual. I'm usually always home or close to home so I'm fine with giving it my home zip and letting it tell me the weather there.

Also, the refresh time seems to be very slow. Seems like it once per hour. Ideally I'd like that to be a setting I can control.

Tried a couple of other weather apps as well but nothing has really stuck.

What else is everyone using?

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm kind of a weather junkie so I'd like an app that has a good widget included so I can put it on my home screen. I'd also like the widget to update regularly as well as have the ability to be refreshed manually. And lastly, the app needs to have a radar module included.

I've played around with the Weather Channel app but the one drawback I've noticed is that my GPS must be turned on or the widget doesn't refresh. Not sure if I'm just missing a setting but that seems unusual. I'm usually always home or close to home so I'm fine with giving it my home zip and letting it tell me the weather there.

Also, the refresh time seems to be very slow. Seems like it once per hour. Ideally I'd like that to be a setting I can control.

Tried a couple of other weather apps as well but nothing has really stuck.

What else is everyone using?

I have 1weather, which has all of the things you're looking for. It has home screen widgets, lock screen widgets, current conditions, extended forecasts, and a radar map that you can pinch zoom in and out of. It displays the current temperature in the notification area, and when you swipe on that, you get a thumbnail sketch of current conditions and the day's forecast.

No, you do not have to use GPS to set a location, you can just use zip code or city, country.
13%2B-%2B1

You can refresh the info manually or set it up to update every 15 min, 30 min, hourly, etc.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.handmark.expressweather&token=nqIWAjzR

It's free and the ads aren't ridiculous. I think you'll like it.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I like the look of HD Widgets, but if you want to get into the details of the weather, you have to have an internet connection.

I prefer eWeather HD because it updates the weather based on your defined interval and it downloads everything, so no internet connection is required.

The widgets are also pretty customizable.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Diddy in that I'm glad our vanilla Android doesn?t force feed a weather app on us. The closest it comes to that is Google Now, and that card can easily be disabled, though I kind of like it.

There are so many weather apps out there that it can take a lot of downloading, trying out, and uninstalling before finding the one that you like and works best for your needs. If you're like me, though, it's almost impossible to find the perfect app to meet all my criteria, so I ended up with way more apps than I needed. And I'm not even a weather junkie!

Keep in mind that a weather app is only as good as the weather sources that it uses to get the information to you. Some apps are very limited and don't give you a choice of weather stations to use for a particular location. This can be a problem if you live in an area that is some distance from the weather station the app uses for your location, or you live in an area with microclimates. Some apps only use official weather service sites, often located at airports. If you live in a rural area, it's possible that location is 50 miles and 5 degrees of temperature from you. So keep that in mind when choosing an app.

Here's what I have left after testing quite a few, but certainly not all, the weather apps on the market. Keep in mind that I'm more concerned with weather in the USA, so my focus was more on apps that work well here. However, I also track world locations where friends live, so each app had to have world weather capability.

BeWeather Pro: The best thing about this one is that it allows you to choose from among many unofficial weather stations, often located at schools or operated by hobbyists, as well as official weather service stations. This is only available in the pro (paid) version, though, and is probably more useful in the USA because of the large number of such alternative stations. BeWeather also has beautiful weather animations that give this app a special look, and a simple, easy to use layout, but it's a little bit lacking in detailed weather stats. The widgets are well done and customizable. Weather alerts are very customizable, including the alert sound (I use a sneeze), and can be enabled for locations other than your current location. You can add the temperature in the notification bar and customize it by choosing a color and weather location, as well as a different color for the notification tray. The free version, besides not being able to choose the precise weather station, has ads, and also fewer widget and icon options. For some reason, however, BeWeather only allows 10 locations to be stored. Others may also have limitations, but I've not tested them.
uploadfromtaptalk1360618757043.jpg

eWeather HD: This is probably the coolest looking app, with lots of information and graphs and different ways to look at the weather data. It also has some unique and very customizable widgets, plus a nice earthquake alert feature. It's a bit complicated in terms of understanding the layout and customizing exactly the information you want to see, but once you figure it out, it's quite detailed. The alert system is very customizable with lots of alert types to choose from, but I think it only applies to your current location. It's radar map is top notch, probably the best of these apps. The notification bar options are also the most extensive of all these apps, enough to significantly clutter your notification area! Its biggest drawback is the lack of weather station locations available, though you can make a choice as to which you want to use. The default station usually makes the most sense, but that could be 40 kilometers from your location. You can also choose between the US provider or Forseca.com for forecasts. I have no idea which is better or what the difference is! Also, there's no free version, so you'll have to check it out quickly in order to get a refund if you don't like it.
uploadfromtaptalk1360618811787.jpg

WeatherBug Elite: This has what I consider to be a more traditional weather app look, meaning not too fancy, but with plenty of information and easy to navigate and view. It allows you to choose from local weather stations beyond the official ones located at airports, though the list isn't as extensive as BeWeather. It offers weather cam views, a video weather report, and lifestyle forecasts (I guess that forecasts what your lifestyle will be). Weather alerts can be enabled for all locations, though they aren't very customizable. A unique alert feature, though, is for lightening, which is only available for your current location, and only in the USA. The temperature for a specified location can be placed in the notification bar, with only three color choices. The widgets are uninspired. The free version has ads and maybe some minor feature locks, but I forget what those are.
uploadfromtaptalk1360618846791.jpg

The Weather Channel: This app also has a traditional look, with pretty basic weather details and the most uninspired presentation of this group. But it offers a few unique items, like a Twitter feed, Weather Channel videos, a fun photo gallery (lots of user supplied weather and nature photos in different categories, especially pets outside), and a pollen report. Severe weather alerts are limited to a single location (doesn't have to be your current location), but a pollen alert is also available, probably only for the USA. This free app does not have ads, which is quite nice. Unfortunately, its widget options aren't very good, and the notification bar option is poorly implemented (thanks for the correction, @t-rex). But the worst thing is you have no options regarding the weather station it uses, nor does it indicate where the station that it uses is located. Still, it might be accurate enough for your location.
uploadfromtaptalk1360618884294.jpg

AccuWeather: The AccuWeather app is probably the least feature filled of all these apps. It's similar to the Weather Channel app, though looks nicer with its dark background and better graphics. It has video reports, plus a lifestyle forecasts guide and a useful AccuWeather news feed. Weather alerts are available for a single location only, the one you designate as your "home" location. It has basic notification bar capability, showing the temperature for either your current or "home" location. However, as with the TWC app, widgets aren't very good, and you have no choice of which weather station to use or indication of its location. The free version has ads that aren't too intrusive. The paid version only removes ads, but it's currently only USD $0.99.
uploadfromtaptalk1360618923345.jpg

World Weather Clock Widget: As the name implies, this is a widget-only app, but tapping on a widget brings up a nice weather information chart and radar for that widget's location. The widgets are very customizable and come in various sizes and configurations. There's a slight learning curve to customizing, but once you understand the options, setup is pretty quick. I set widgets up for places around the world where I've visited or have friends, so besides seeing the weather, it let's me quickly see the time there. You can't specify the weather station to use, but for the purposes of these widgets that's not very important. The best thing is that this app is free and without ads of any sort! In the photo below, the red widgets are from World Weather Clock, and the bottom row widgets are from BeWeather.
uploadfromtaptalk1360618950673.jpg

Of these, what do I recommend? I like BeWeather for its weather station flexibility and beautiful weather animations, which looks fantastic on the N7, and eWeather HD for its detailed weather information and extensive customization. WeatherBug Elite is very close to the top, as it has some other features like weather cams and weather station choices. World Weather Clock is also a favorite, but I look at that less as a weather app, and more as a well done and free widget with time and weather information, so I don't compare it to the others.

If I needed to free up space on my N7, AccuWeather would be the first to go (even though I foolishly spent a buck on it to get rid of ads), then The Weather Channel. They're decent, basic apps, but nothing special, and don't allow any weather station choices or location information.

Someone else recommended 1Weather, which I tried. I didn't really like its overall look, so got rid of it for that reason alone, regardless of its functionality. I say this because, despite my recommendations, it really comes down to personal choice and needs. But the most important consideration should be, does it give you weather information for your area that's seems accurate, and is it presented in a way that is useful to you?

There are plenty of other weather apps out there, including very localized ones, but I've promised myself to quit looking at and testing them, and instead to perhaps get a life. I'm still giving that some thought.

Last edited:

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Diddy in that I'm glad our vanilla Android doesn?t force feed a weather app on us. The closest it comes to that is Google Now, and that card can easily be disabled, though I kind of like it.

There are so many weather apps out there that it can take a lot of downloading, trying out, and uninstalling before finding the one that you like and works best for your needs. If you're like me, though, it's almost impossible to find the perfect app to meet all my criteria, so I ended up with way more apps than I needed. And I'm not even a weather junkie!

Keep in mind that a weather app is only as good as the weather sources that it uses to get the information to you. Some apps are very limited and don't give you a choice of weather stations to use for a particular location. This can be a problem if you live in an area that is some distance from the weather station the app uses for your location, or you live in an area with microclimates. Some apps only use official weather service sites, often located at airports. If you live in a rural area, it's possible that location is 50 miles and 5 degrees of temperature from you. So keep that in mind when choosing an app.

Here's what I have left after testing quite a few, but certainly not all, the weather apps on the market. Keep in mind that I'm more concerned with weather in the USA, so my focus was more on apps that work well here. However, I also track world locations where friends live, so each app had to have world weather capability.

BeWeather Pro: The best thing about this one is that it allows you to choose from among many unofficial weather stations, often located at schools or operated by hobbyists, as well as official weather service stations. This is only available in the pro (paid) version, though, and is probably more useful in the USA because of the large number of such alternative stations. BeWeather also has beautiful weather animations that give this app a special look, and a simple, easy to use layout, but it's a little bit lacking in detailed weather stats. The widgets are well done and customizable. Weather alerts are very customizable, including the alert sound (I use a sneeze), and can be enabled for locations other than your current location. You can add the temperature in the notification bar and customize it by choosing a color and weather location, as well as a different color for the notification tray. The free version, besides not being able to choose the precise weather station, has ads, and also fewer widget and icon options. For some reason, however, BeWeather only allows 10 locations to be stored. Others may also have limitations, but I've not tested them.
View attachment 60089

eWeather HD: This is probably the coolest looking app, with lots of information and graphs and different ways to look at the weather data. It also has some unique and very customizable widgets, plus a nice earthquake alert feature. It's a bit complicated in terms of understanding the layout and customizing exactly the information you want to see, but once you figure it out, it's quite detailed. The alert system is very customizable with lots of alert types to choose from, but I think it only applies to your current location. It's radar map is top notch, probably the best of these apps. The notification bar options are also the most extensive of all these apps, enough to significantly clutter your notification area! Its biggest drawback is the lack of weather station locations available, though you can make a choice as to which you want to use. The default station usually makes the most sense. You can also choose between the US provider or Forseca.com for forecasts. I have no idea which is better or whether difference is! Also, there's no free version, so you'll have to check it out quickly in order to get a refund if you don't like it.
View attachment 60090

WeatherBug Elite: This has what I consider to be a more traditional weather app look, meaning not too fancy, but with plenty of information and easy to navigate and view. It allows you to choose from local weather stations beyond the official ones located at airports, though the list isn't as extensive as BeWeather. It offers weather cam views, a video weather report, and lifestyle forecasts (I guess that forecasts what your lifestyle will be). Weather alerts can be enabled for all locations, though they aren't very customizable. A unique alert feature, though, is for lightening, which is only available for your current location, and only in the USA. The temperature for a specified location can be placed in the notification bar, with only three color choices. The widgets are uninspired. The free version has ads and maybe some minor feature locks, but I forget what those are.
View attachment 60091

The Weather Channel: This app also has a traditional look, with pretty basic weather details and the most uninspired presentation of this group. But it offers a few unique items, like a Twitter feed, Weather Channel videos, a fun photo gallery (lots of user supplied weather and nature photos in different categories, especially pets outside), and a pollen report. Severe weather alerts are limited to a single location (doesn't have to be your current location), but a pollen alert is also available, probably only for the USA. This free app does not have ads, which is quite nice. Unfortunately, its widget options aren't very good, and there is no notification bar option to show the temperature. But the worst thing is you have no options regarding the weather station it uses, nor does it indicate where the station that it uses is located.
View attachment 60092

AccuWeather: The AccuWeather app is probably the least feature filled of all these apps. It's similar to the Weather Channel app, though looks nicer with its dark background and better graphics. It has video reports, plus a lifestyle forecasts guide and a useful AccuWeather news feed. Weather alerts are available for a single location only, the one you designate as your "home" location. It has basic notification bar capability, showing the temperature for either your current or "home" location. However, as with the TWC app, widgets aren't very good, and you have no choice of which weather station to use or indication of its location. The free version has ads that aren't too intrusive. The paid version only removes ads, but it's currently only USD $0.99.
View attachment 60093

World Weather Clock Widget: As the name implies, this is a widget-only app, but tapping on a widget brings up a nice weather information chart and radar for that widget's location. The widgets are very customizable and come in various sizes and configurations. There's a slight learning curve to customizing, but once you understand the options, setup is pretty quick. I set widgets up for places around the world where I've visited or have friends, so besides seeing the weather, it let's me quickly see the time there. You can't specify the weather station to use, but for the purposes of these widgets that's not very important. The best thing is that this app is free and without ads of any sort! In the photo below, the red widgets are from World Weather Clock, and the bottom row widgets are from BeWeather.
View attachment 60094View attachment 60094

Of these, what do I recommend? I like BeWeather for its weather station flexibility and beautiful weather animations, which looks fantastic on the N7, and eWeather HD for its detailed weather information and extensive customization. WeatherBug Elite is very close to the top, as it has some other features like weather cams and weather station choices. World Weather Clock is also a favorite, but I look at that less as a weather app, and more as a well done and free widget with time and weather information, so I don't compare it to the others.

If I needed to free up space on my N7, AccuWeather would be the first to go (even though I foolishly spent a buck on it to get rid of ads), then The Weather Channel. They're decent, basic apps, but nothing special, and don't allow any weather station choices or location information.

Someone else recommended 1Weather, which I tried. I didn't really like its overall look, so got rid of it for that reason alone, regardless of its functionality. I say this because, despite my recommendations, it really comes down to personal choice and needs. But the most important consideration should be, does it give you weather information for your area that's seems accurate, and is it presented in a way that is useful to you?

There are plenty of other weather apps out there, including very localized ones, but I've promised myself to quit looking at and testing them, and instead to perhaps get a life. I'm still giving that some thought.

You can get the temperature to appear in the notification bar on the weather channel by holding down on the location and setting it as home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I just use an app called NOAA weather. It is a simple weather app, no fancy animations or features. Just shows the weather for the next 7 days, alerts, and a basic radar which covers about a 200 mile radious. Used to use weather channel and weather bug, but I felt was too over the top for quick weather info. Had many force closes and location issues. Here is the Android Central review of the app from last year as well, and the Play Store link. There is a free version and a paid, I think I paid $2 for it.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You can get the temperature to appear in the notification bar on the weather channel by holding down on the location and setting it as home.
Indeed! Thanks for the correction. Too bad it's hidden like that. Also, if you want severe weather alerts or pollen alerts, you must set a location as home. Unfortunately, this means you're enabling the notification bar to display the temperature, even if you don't want it. Since the temperature icon is not well done, and the notification tray is rather ugly, it's too bad this is the only way to get alerts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad