Nexus 7 as a GPS

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I second CoPilot. It's dirt-cheap (like $10 for a USA/Canada map I think), AND it has offline POI's. That's the best thing IMO--if you don't want to waste data looking for somewhere to eat near your current location, just use copilot. It's a lot faster/less sluggish than the stock maps (I never really liked stock navigation, it was always glitchy for me).

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I second CoPilot. It's dirt-cheap (like $10 for a USA/Canada map I think), AND it has offline POI's. That's the best thing IMO--if you don't want to waste data looking for somewhere to eat near your current location, just use copilot. It's a lot faster/less sluggish than the stock maps (I never really liked stock navigation, it was always glitchy for me).

The only problem is that most of the time it will not even load on my N7 - the screen just flashes for a second, and then nothing. I paid for it, but it is useless...

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've used my N7 with google maps/nav in a car a number of times. If you have a smart phone you can put a wifi hotspot on it (I use foxfi but there are plenty others) and then the data connection issue for the wifi only versions of N7 is moot. I also download a map for the area where I am traveling. It seems to work well for those times when you are out of cell phone range. The big advantage of google maps/nav is you can do searches for more info about where you are traveling. This is especially good for trips when you are looking for a good place to eat or alternate route or "hey xxx is coming up, is that worth a side trip?" kind of questions.

I've used several dedicated GPS units in the past and I much prefer google nav. Though, I tend to use it on my phone, not tablet.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The only problem is that most of the time it will not even load on my N7 - the screen just flashes for a second, and then nothing. I paid for it, but it is useless...

That's weird, I wonder why it won't work? It doesn't play nicely with my phone, but it works great on my N7. You got the $10 USA version, right?

Spaz888

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
There are not a "tonne" of GPS apps that work on the Android like previously posted. However, the Nexus 7 has a really good GPS chip. A lot of people who have Android use Sygic.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
That's weird, I wonder why it won't work? It doesn't play nicely with my phone, but it works great on my N7. You got the $10 USA version, right?

Yes, that is right. Sometimes if I reboot it will work for a while. Sygic, that is also installed, may be messing it up, but I don't really know for sure. I hate to re install because it took so long to download the map data.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
TomTom USA's screen resolution specs were recently upgraded to work with the Nexus 7 and is on sale for $27.99. It requires storage for a 2.2gb download but that allows routing and searching POIs without needing Wi-FI or cellular data connections. It comes with lifetime map updates and can be used on other Android devices. It has been working great on my Nexus 7.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Try NAV FREE, it's free as the name implies, allows you to download any maps that you might want and it doesn't require a cell network to work. I've used it several times and it works great.

Sent telepathically from my padded cell via an HTC DROID DNA

Spaz888

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
TomTom USA's screen resolution specs were recently upgraded to work with the Nexus 7 and is on sale for $27.99. It requires storage for a 2.2gb download but that allows routing and searching POIs without needing Wi-FI or cellular data connections. It comes with lifetime map updates and can be used on other Android devices. It has been working great on my Nexus 7.

Really? That is a great price! I would encourage people to jump on that. The only thing that concerns me is mounting your Nexus 7 but for a Note2 or Galaxy 3, I'd get it for sure.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I wanted to try them, but their ratings on the Play Store are really bad...

-BA-

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yup CoPilot user here too and the Brodit active cradle works perfectly with it.

DSC07261.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I found an interesting problem when using the N7 in my car. My polarized sun classes completely blank out the screen!

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Is the nexus 7 a good buy when your in the market for a smaller tablet??? I'm hearing there's no flash player can u watch Netflix? And videos on the internet??

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Yes. It is an excellent buy. There is a Netflix app so no problem watching Netflix (or YouTube for that matter).