Nexus 7 as a GPS

Glenn May

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I am considering picking up a Nexus 7 as a GPS for my truck. I need to buy a new GPSr anyway and this seem(ed) like the best option. do more, about the same money, easier maps to update.. Although I am a little concerned about the 32gb limit (Actually wanted the 16gb for price point) and since I really do not want to burn a million gigs of data a month, Figure loaded maps would be the best bet.

Just curious if anyone has used their device for this, what suggestions are made, etc. Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks
Glenn

p.s. I have a TF101 that I have used to do this in the past.. The 10" screen is awesome but maintaining stability is difficult and it takes up WAY TOO much room.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
They've added the ability to have offline maps, but there are still a lot of functions that just don't work so well without an internet connection. If the primary use is to be a GPS unit, I would look at something else.

IgorPunck

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
there are free GPS apps for Nexus 7 that work well. Stock Maps app didnt work well for me (Canada), requires data plan. GPS apps are close to 400+ mbs so make sure to pick up a 16 or 32gb model.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There are a ton of dedicated GPS apps with maps that are downloaded to the device. the N7 would likely do well with one of those, though I personally don't have any experience with it.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought Tom Tom North America on sale a couple of weeks ago on the Google Play Store. So far it has worked great on my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4. Map/data is downloaded initially and after that a wi-fi connection is not needed to use the program with GPS navigation. It acts just like a regular auto GPS. It even has the same style menu. I have used TomTom and Garmin auto GPS units and felt right at home with the Android version. I love it on the big screen of the Nexus 7.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I had forgotten about the GPS Apps being available. Some (like Tom Tom) are not particularly cheap, but may be worthwhile. Read reviews carefully, but one of those maps may make the Nexus 7 an excellent GPS.

atgreen

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've used NavFree for a while with good results. I navigated through Las Vegas the other day and it was pretty much up to date on the constant construction through down town. No wireless is needed after the initial download.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Before giving my opinion I need first to disclose that I own both a nexus 7 and a 5" Garmin with bluetooth, life time maps and traffic. (I load weekly in the Garmin the red light camera poi to alert me when approaching an intersection with a RLC)

For shorts trip I mount the nexus but for longer trips I prefer the dedicated GPS, main reason is screen glare, the Garmin dull finish screen handles the sun better.

Just my 2?

Sent from planet earth

ziffos

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 works perfectly as a Sat Nav - I fully recommend it.

I also recommend NAVFREE sat nav app - it is FREE and allows FREE map downloads and FREE voice downloads and does NOT need data signal to allow it to work.

It is excellent - give it a try.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I used it for two weeks on my recent vacation in a rental car, and it worked great. The only problem is that even when plugged in to power, the battery will run down. However, you can get through a day of driving. I use Sygic.

DSC_0891_edited-1.jpg

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I also use Sygic and it works out pretty well. You store the map on the device so it doesn't require a net connection.

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is the nexus 7 a good buy when your in the market for a smaller tablet??? I'm hearing there's no flash player can u watch Netflix? And videos on the internet??

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

nd7p

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Copilot. Not too expensive, and lets you store maps off-line. If your N7 is running down in the car, you could need a bigger charger. Mine stays charged to 100% on a 2 Amp unit.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Is the nexus 7 a good buy when your in the market for a smaller tablet??? I'm hearing there's no flash player can u watch Netflix? And videos on the internet??

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

You can still install a flash player, I once did it on my Nexus 4 but removed it a few days later.

Netflix works fine through the Netflix app. Never tried through the website.

liljew

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I used it for two weeks on my recent vacation in a rental car, and it worked great. The only problem is that even when plugged in to power, the battery will run down. However, you can get through a day of driving. I use Sygic.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/hpilot123/DSC_0891_edited-1.jpg

I'm thinking that your car charger is only putting out the USB standard 0.5 A. If you can find one with a 2 Amp output you should solve your discharge problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Sygic and CoPilot live both work, both download the maps. I prefer the Google Nav app so I open up the hot spot on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and tether to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz