Youtube Buffering on Nexus 7

Ishmayl

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Buffering HD videos on the default youtube app on my Nexus 7 is terrible. Basically, it will buffer up to about 10-15 seconds of the video, and then stop buffering, so when the video catches up, it has to pause while it buffers the next few seconds. It makes watching HD videos quite literally unbearable.

It's not my internet, I can watch the youtube videos fine on my computer, and on the Nexus, I can watch Netflix, Vimeo, Blip, & other HD videos just fine as well - just not youtube.

I've been searching for answers everywhere. The two most commonly-recommended solutions are:
1 - uncheck your Wi-Fi optimization (in Advanced Wi-Fi settings), &
2 - Reinstall the youtube app.

I have done both of these, and neither works for me. Some people on the various message boards say one or the other works, but then invariably always come back later and say "it's not working again."

So, are there any other solutions I'm missing, and has anyone here figured anything out? It's pretty damned ridiculous that Google's flagship device can't play their freakin flagship video service...

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine works fine on HD videos. Perhaps your WiFi network has issues. People on shared WiFi nets , school or Starbucks, have reported similar issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ward510

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've found that a certain amount of buffering goes on when I use my pc, but nothing like as bad as it is using my N7. I now tend to use Realplayer to download anything of interest and those videos I want to keep go in the Library.

BornLarssen

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I've been having the exact same issues as the thread starter. In my case, between 30 sec and 1min 20-40 seconds of a HD video works fine and then it will endlessly try to load the rest of the video. The YouTube app itself also seems unstable and slow.

I've tried the mentioned fixes without any luck. In addition to reinstalling the YouTube app, I also cleared out the cache for good measure. I also did a factory reset, no luck.

It's definitively not our internet; we have another Android device that functions perfectly on the same network, and this tab has been completely fine until recently (~1 week). We also run YouTube on our Apple TV (in the background as I'm typing this) which does not have any issues. In short, it's clearly something local with the Nexus 7, and it doesn't appear as any recent update broke it (it updated after the trouble began which did nothing good or bad).

Additional info: The issue is also present in Chrome, stock and Puffin browsers. Rebooting the device into "Safe Mode" has no effect.

Last edited:

daveswildcamping

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem, whilst tethering from my Galaxy s3, soon as I played the video it would pull the speed right down, it wasnt just the nexus now it was playing a youtube video on the phone to whilst tethered to the nexus, soon as I disconnected the tethering to the nexus the mobile speed would recover and play the video correctly on the phone with no buffering.
I thought this must be a wifi problem with the nexus I tried speedtests to try and figure out the problem.
What solved the problem with me on the nexus was in the youtube app, I went into the settings/general and unchecked the "high quality on mobile" setting and everything is good the videos still play in HD good quality and now theres no buffering.
This setting is still checked in my Galaxy s3 but doesnt have a problem on the phone, I can only thing its a bug in the youtube app for the nexus.

Hope this works for you.
Nexus 7 3G

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
What solved the problem with me on the nexus was in the youtube app, I went into the settings/general and unchecked the "high quality on mobile" setting and everything is good the videos still play in HD good quality and now theres no buffering.
Just an FYI... There is no such setting on non-3G Nexus 7 devices.

daveswildcamping

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
My nexus does have this setting I just purchased it yesterday it has Jellybean 4.2 on and the same setting is on my Gallaxy S3 within the youtube app settings under general.
checkout my video, the video doesnt show the setting im on about but hey its good viewing anyway.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I modified my router's QoS settings and set my Nexus 7 to high priority. I recently set it to normal, because I don't want to be the family's internet-hog.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My nexus does have this setting I just purchased it yesterday it has Jellybean 4.2 on and the same setting is on my Gallaxy S3 within the youtube app settings under general.
checkout my video, the video doesnt show the setting im on about but hey its good viewing anyway.
http://youtu.be/sOVJM3_csEg
I don't doubt you. That's why I specifically referred to the non-3G Nexus 7. The 3G version apparently has this setting, since you say it does. The WiFi version doesn't, since that's what I have (with latest JB build), and the setting isn't there.

BornLarssen

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update. After doing everything I previously mentioned, my tab still didn't cooperate for a few days and then magically started working again. Fricking modern technology - such a headache sometimes. Thanks a lot for all the helpful input from everyone :)

Ishmayl

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've attempted to set the QoS to High Priority for the nexus, that doesn't appear to have helped yet. I've downloaded Freedi, and while I think it plays videos better, it doesn't have the same api, and I can't log in to view my favorites or anything, so it's extremely inefficient - I spent as much time hunting down the videos as watching them. Ah well, guess it's just "a thing."... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol