To buy or not to buy?

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have heard many good and many bad things about the nexus 7... I'm very close to buying one but before I do I thought I'd ask people that own them...

Would you recommend the nexus 7?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
This probably isn't the best place to ask such a question; we're a little biased here! But to answer in as objective a manner as possible, I'd say it depends specifically on your needs and how you'll use it. If the N7 specs meet the your needs, then I'd say it's the best tablet you can get for the price, even 9 months after its introduction. However, if you have about 3 more months, I'd recommend waiting to find out the specs on the next version, rumored to be announced in May and available in the the summer.

Overall, the N7 is a well rounded media consumption and gaming tablet, and does okay with content creation. The screen is above average, battery life is satisfactory, it's very comfortable to hold, and you get the stock Android experience, which also means getting the newest Android version first.

It does have its hiccups, though. It can get a little laggy, especially when WiFi is very active. The build quality, though good, isn't going to blow you away. The speaker is average at best. People in the forums have complained about WiFi connectivity problems to Bluetooth issues to battery performance to the unit not coming on, plus other assorted problems. However, I don't think any of these problems are exclusive to the N7, nor as widespread as the forums make them out to be.

If the specs don't meet your needs, then, despite the great value offered by the N7, you should buy something else. For example, perhaps a rear camera, SD card slot, or HDMI out connector are important to you. The N7 doesn't have these items, so it therefore wouldn't meet your needs.

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't ask for a better answer, thank you.
The missing features you mentioned aren't too important to me; tablets are a daft way to take photos, 32gb is a decent amount especially when combined with the cloud, and I am too lazy to hook it up to the tv... I was considering waiting but since the n7 will get the software anyway I don't know if there is masses of point.

The lag thing is worth knowing, but other than Ingress I'm sure I'll survive, so thank you, it looks like I will be joining the fold

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the club!

I only notice the lag when I have been disconnected from the WiFi for several hours and when I first reconnect, so many services start syncing data that it causes a noticeable slowdown for about 20 seconds or so.

This can be helped by reducing the number of apps that automatically sync data.

koldmiser

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 2nd gen ipad and couldn't be happier. The processor and amount of memory make it a great portable device (and portable gaming device ; ) ). I've had a few issues with streaming video being slow, but other wise this is a great device.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have heard many good and many bad things about the nexus 7... I'm very close to buying one but before I do I thought I'd ask people that own them...

It depends a lot on what you're expectations for the device are. It won't replace your laptop for a lot of things. However, it is great for reading, watching video and casual gaming. In addition, the Nexus 7 will run the latest vanilla build of Android. Which is great if you are familiar with Android, but can be a bit of a learning curve for those unfamiliar with the OS. For instance, I recommended the tablet for my tech-savvy father, but did not recommend it to my grandmother.

If you have proper expectations for what the Nexus 7 will do for you, I wholeheartedly would recommend it.

zxcv106106

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

nike-just-do-it2.jpg

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I own:

Motorola Xoom
Galaxy S3 phone
Asus Transformer TF700 Infinity Prime
Kindle Fire
Nexus 7 (16GB)

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy 10.1

Of all these devices, my favorite is the Nexus because of its convenient size and overall capabilities. In addition, it is "snappiest" performer amongst them all. I bought it on an impulse and initially felt very guilty. No regrets now, though!

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I see your question in a different light to those who replied. What would you get instead of the Nexus 7? It is the best. And it's the best of a big and lively market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.2 using Tapatalk

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I see your question in a different light to those who replied. What would you get instead of the Nexus 7? It is the best. And it's the best of a big and lively market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.2 using Tapatalk

Honestly? I don't know. I had kinda already decided on the N7 but wanted to hear what people with the device thought of it before selecting my cash.

I had an s3 that got damaged and I thought to replace it I'd get a dumb phone and a n7 to do the smart bits (and some of the laptop bits since it has a more usable screen size than a phone)... so I guess the alternative is an s3 and be tablet-less

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech