Error Preventing me from updating to 4.2.2

Jamil1992

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I recently bought a Nexus 7 8GB from a friend. Before giving it to me he did a factory wipe, but somehow I don't think everything was removed. Recently I've been getting alerts to update to the newest version of Android 4.2.2. Each time I try to install the update, here's what happens. The tablet says that it is installing the update. Then it reboots and I get to this screen that says
Code:
ClockworkMod Recovery v5.8.0.2
Finding update package . . .
Opening update package . . .
Verifying update package . . . 
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

From here I get some recovering options like "reboot system now", "install zip from sdcard," etc. I'm new tablets/android and have no idea what to do. I don't even know what ClockworkMod is. If it's an app, then it should have been wiped during the factory wipe, but I guess not. Is there any way to resolve this? Thanks for any help.

Jamil1992

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Strange. I am pretty sure it's not rooted because I've received messages from some apps claiming that since I don't have a rooted device the app won't work. I'll take a look at the video, though. Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of folks on this forum who know tons more than I do about rooting and Clockworkmod, so I'll defer to them. Good luck!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Your friend had changed the recovery/bootloader on the device to Clockworkmod, which *does not* get removed on a factory reset, think of it as like a PC BIOS. You need to flash it back to the stock recovery and the update will run just fine. You can find lots of guides in the N4 forums on how to do that.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
They are correct even if your not rooted the cwr rewrote the stock recovery. What you will need to do is reflash the nexus back to stock unroot and relock boot loader. I'm going to get flamed for this but down load wuggs tool kit to your PC and follow his directions every thing u need is in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

I had the same error when attempting to update to 4.2.2 last night. I solved this by flashing the stock recovery back and installing the factory 4.2.2 image. This, of course, wiped out everything but I had my settings, app data and homescreen layout saved on the cloud so it was easy to sync everything back. All the how-to videos can be found on YouTube.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the same error when attempting to update to 4.2.2 last night. I solved this by flashing the stock recovery back and installing the factory 4.2.2 image. This, of course, wiped out everything but I had my settings, app data and homescreen layout saved on the cloud so it was easy to sync everything back. All the how-to videos can be found on YouTube.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

you didn't need to do a full factory wipe, just flashing back to stock recovery would have allowed you to get the 4.2.2 OTA update.