Poll: Buy Nexus 7 now or wait for Nexus 7HD 3 months

What should I do

• Total voters

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Maybe BB 10 OS will soon come out along with a new Playbook with 2 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, OTG, micro sd slot, Bluetooth 4, 8 megapixel rear camera and 12 Hour battery. It will bootup in 15 seconds. Then you can run your Android on it and maybe Apple too. You can forget about Nexus then. Oh it might not be this year but maybe next year or the year after or ...... .

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you can wait the 3-4 months, wait and get the latest model. It only makes sense, IHMO. Pricing will probably be similar, and the upgrades will probably be worth the wait.

frankly1100

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What, if any, improvements have Google and ASUS been rumored to make that will convince a current Nexus 7 user to upgrade to the "newer" Nexus 7? I myself am thinking of going Nexus across my mobile devices a Nexus 4 to replace my currently semi-broken Galaxy S3, a Nexus 7 to replace my iPad Mini, and a Nexus 10 for my iPad. I know it's unlikely but a new Nexus 7 with a rear-facing camera would seal the deal for me. But as no word has been given and some reports have said that it still will have no rear camera, I'm not going to hold my breathe. Though nothing is final until it's announced so I guess I'm keeping my fingers crossed. A Nexus 7 with rear-facing camera would definitely give the iPad Mini serious competition, I'd even go as far as saying it could out sell the iPad Mini. So, here's to hoping.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone:for the input. I have devided to return it and get Nexus 7 HD.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'm late but yeah wait and see at this point. Tegra 3 isn't getting any younger, and it's kinda laggy on 4.2. I don't plan on upgrading until they stop updating it but I also bought mine a month after launch, if I didn't own one already I'd wait too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Will the HD version have HDMI out?

HDMI would be the only thing that would make me want to buy a new N7. I would like a WiFi that could support Miracast like the Nexus 4 phone but not sure that Miracast will work as well as a HDMI port. Other than mirroring my N7 to my HDTV I think my current N7 is just great.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus S launched in 2010 with 2.3 Gingerbread, received ICS 4.0 in the beginning of 2012 and JB 4.1.2. following that. That keeps it current up to where the HTC One was launched in 2013. 3 years of updates is by far above normal in Android and that's what we're looking for.

Assuming the Nexus 7 won't be updated this year or next year is just silly; the Galaxy Nexus went from 4.0 to 4.1 and then 4.2, based on the Nexus S it'd be safe to assume it'll be on KLP too. That puts the N7, which started on 4.1, onto KLP and the next two iterations based on a 3 upgrade cycle, and I haven't seen anything to suggest they're not trying to beat that as a standard.

Google actually seems to be doing the opposite, and trying to get all Nexus devices up to the newest build as fast as possible. Thinking about it in the terms of how Sammy, HTC and other OEM's treat their Android based mass consumer devices is a mistake. Google's money doesn't come from you upgrading, it comes from your participation in their universe as much as possible. The features to do that are on the latest and greatest software, not tied to any hardware.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
please explain ? you mean nexus 7 will not get more updates next year ? really. this policy sucks. i was not aware of it.

Their statement was completely nonsense and not based on the history of Nexus. I hope this wasn't the deciding factor in you returning your current N7. If I hadn't purchased one and wanted one, I'd wait for the new one, but otherwise the current one is a great device and, based on actual history, should be supported well into 2015 for another couple of major OS releases.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Their statement was completely nonsense and not based on the history of Nexus. I hope this wasn't the deciding factor in you returning your current N7. If I hadn't purchased one and wanted one, I'd wait for the new one, but otherwise the current one is a great device and, based on actual history, should be supported well into 2015 for another couple of major OS releases.

N7 is cool indeed. I have decided to return it because N7hd is just two monts away, n7 had some minor bleeding issue and case was cracking. I am concerned about built quality of current generation N7. There seems to be many users with screen bleeding, screen lifting etc. Let's hope next gen n7 will have these problems fixed

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The build quality is fine, you just got a bad one. I've had mine since a month after launch, no issues whatsoever. That being said, waiting for the next generation is right choice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
N7 is cool indeed. I have decided to return it because N7hd is just two monts away, n7 had some minor bleeding issue and case was cracking. I am concerned about built quality of current generation N7. There seems to be many users with screen bleeding, screen lifting etc. Let's hope next gen n7 will have these problems fixed

Unfortunately these are the exact same type of issues we've been seeing since the first tranformers over a year ago. I keep hoping Asus will address them with new models and upgrades. So far, no luck.

Source: I've owned and returned 4 asus tablets in the past, all with similar or identical defects.

Yet, I remain optimistic as I do like their products.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately these are the exact same type of issues we've been seeing since the first tranformers over a year ago. I keep hoping Asus will address them with new models and upgrades. So far, no luck.

Source: I've owned and returned 4 asus tablets in the past, all with similar or identical defects.

Yet, I remain optimistic as I do like their products.

i think this is problem with asus in general. i do own asus tablet and i do like it but i feel built quality is not that great. but then the price was pretty cool. at the end asus is good company. better than acer or hp. perhaps not as good as apple.

SteveBB10

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Maybe BB 10 OS will soon come out along with a new Playbook with 2 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, OTG, micro sd slot, Bluetooth 4, 8 megapixel rear camera and 12 Hour battery. It will bootup in 15 seconds. Then you can run your Android on it and maybe Apple too. You can forget about Nexus then. Oh it might not be this year but maybe next year or the year after or ...... .

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

I love the playbook but blackberry 10 is still no where near the playbook yet. And I doubt it will have a 8 mp camera .

I say wait for the HD it will be worth it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I love the playbook but blackberry 10 is still no where near the playbook yet. And I doubt it will have a 8 mp camera .

I say wait for the HD it will be worth it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.

Agreed

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I just realized that nexus 7 new screen resolution might be total overkill especially with so many apps being designed still for phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sean473

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me throw a bit of a wrench. What if you could get a refurb Nexus 7? I'm looking at one whichc would save me almost 50 quid.. I've heard that Nexus 7 is pretty good and the lag issue with 4.2 can easily be solved (its to do with google currents)