Public Wifi

HalOfBorg

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 and an Acer Aspire One netbook. They both connect to my home wifi no problem (WPA2).
The netbook connects at the hospital also no problem. (WPA)

The nexus connects sometimes, even works for maybe a minute, then goes "connecting....saved.....connecting....saved....."
It throws in the occasional "connected" every now and then, but goes right back to the "connecting....saved....." stuff.

The signal meter shows about 1/2 most of the time, sometimes more. When it connects, it seems to slowly drop until the connection is gone.

Is there something I can do? Some way to find out what is going on?

I have the latest Android installed on it.

rmn_cats

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I can't help you, but I wanted to say that I have the same experience. There are a few places where my 1st Gen Kindle Fire picks up the wif with no problem, but my N7 either can't detect it at all or goes through the same process yours does. I think that the N7 wifi antenna is just not that great.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest downloading the Wifi Analyzer app. When you run it it will show the name of the Wifi service the N7 detects, the channels each service is using and the strength of the signal. If the display shows multiple copies of the same service name with nearly the same strength (and especially if they are on the same channel or overlapping channels) then you are going to have a problem. I would bet if you moved a few meters to where one signal is dominant they problem will disappear.

Now as to what you do about this you have a few options. One is to move someplace where there minimal signal overlaps. Another is to speak to the IT folks and ask them why they have this issue with their network (a good wifi survey may not have been performed).

The N7 definitely seems to have an issue in handling signal overlap and my 2 cents it is related to the radio's firmware and hardware, so not trivially fixed.
I had to reset my home routers to different non overlapping channels to get the network to work properly. On the upside it also made all of my other devices work better and the handoff between wifi zones much better.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
WiFi Analyzer improved my LAN too. I use repeaters and chose channels based on the frequency usage graphs. No problems with Nexus tablets or anything else now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084