Should I get a Google Nexus 7 or wait for the next one that's rumored in July?

charles_27

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, I am currently looking for a 7 inch tablet and I saw that the Nexus 7 is relatively cheap. I was wondering what your opinions were on whether I should buy one or I should wait a few months? Thanks guys :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just get it... don't chase the dragon.

There will always be a new version coming out... fact is that the current nexus 7 is not only the best tablet out there, it's one of the cheapest. Get a 32g model and be happy with it.

Sent from my SCH-I200

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Other than used, not sure. The margins on that tablet are so small to begin with, there isn't a lot of room for retailers to come in at a lower price.

Sent from my SCH-I200

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This is the worst time to get one. Just wait a few weeks and see what Google announces at I/O. I agree there is always something better around the corner and to not always be waiting for the next best thing, but it is the worst purchase you could make at this point. I don't understand how anyone could recommend buying a device 3 weeks before a new version is going to be announced. You could always get the current version for even cheaper once the new one is announced.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Rumor has it that once the new Nexus 7 is announced, that the current 16gb model will drop to $99.00

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I cracked by Nexus 7 screen last night by sitting on it :( Sucks that I'll have to wait til July to buy the new one, but I don't think it makes much sense to replace it now. Luckily I have an iPad for my job. I will force myself to use it until the newer N7 is released. But I absolutely hate iOS so it won't be easy.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
What flaws are there? And could a new Nexus 7 really be much better? The screen is already IPS and pretty good resolution. I don't think a full HD IPS would make a big difference. A new quad-core qualcomm won't make it much snappier than it already is. Then you have to worry about it being made by another manufacturer, who may come out with a higher specced but shoddier product. And what about availability? Don't you have to wait til July or something?

I am also debating whether to get this tablet now or not.

I was wondering how durable it is. I plan to give it to my parents. My mom wants to use it in the kitchen for cooking recipes, and as a big GPS unit.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, its not a 'toughbook' or anything along those lines. Get a screen protector and maybe a nice case and it'll hold up.

If you wanted something more indestructible, I'd almost think that one of those 7 inch android tabs aimed towards kids might be the most durable, but I can't be 100% on that (and the specs might stink and look like Spongebob got squashed)

Come to think of it... does anyone even make a halfway decent, high durability tablet?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463