Shut Down / Sleep App

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for an App which will either shut the Nexus 7 tablet down on a timer basis,ie at 1:00am or at least put it to sleep after a specified time.
My tablet is not "rooted" - would just like to listen to podcasts, etc in the evening as I fall to sleep. It would be nice to conserve battery life
and also not have to transfer podcasts to my mp3 player, which has a timer. thanks

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for an App which will either shut the Nexus 7 tablet down on a timer basis,ie at 1:00am or at least put it to sleep after a specified time.
My tablet is not "rooted" - would just like to listen to podcasts, etc in the evening as I fall to sleep. It would be nice to conserve battery life
and also not have to transfer podcasts to my mp3 player, which has a timer. thanks

Just throwing out ideas, but I believe you could turn on airplane mode and still listen to your podcasts.. I turn my S3 onto airplane mode overnight, and only lose 2-3% over 8 hours of sleep..

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I fought with this problem on a previous tablet and the only solution I came up with did require root. I used an app called taskbomb to set a timer and had it call another app called quick shutdown (just going by memory here, I think that's what it was called). It was the quick shutdown app that required root.

The better solution is to have a sleep timer built into the app you are listening with. I actually requested a sleep timer feature from the developer of the main music app I use and he coded it within a couple days! But I think that's pretty unusual. If you are not tied to a particular app for listening, I would look in the play store for something with a sleep timer. (I can't really recommend one since the app I mention above is dsub which requires you are running a subsonic server)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about actually powering down your N7, but some apps will turn off WiFi, which is a big battery hog. I use Battery Widget Reborn that lets me specify when to stop and then restart WiFi, Bluetooth and background sync. I'm sure other battery apps have similar functionality.

I have it set to turn off WiFi at 1:00 am. and turn on at 8:00 a.m. I leave Bluetooth on because I use a Bluetooth headset to listen to music while falling asleep sometimes. Then I have the sleep timer on my music app set to stop playing by the time I've fallen asleep. I haven't figured out an automated way to remove my headset from my head yet. When 8:00 a.m. rolls around, WiFi comes on and all my notifications start pouring in, clogging up my N7 and making it slow as a snail for a couple minutes. But at least the battery hasn't gone down much overnight.

The app Tasker also can do all of this and much, much more, but it has a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463