So I had to download Armin Van Buuren's new CD from Google music because it wasn't on Amazon MP3. Now I want to copy the music to my office computer but I can't find the music even though it is one the device. Does anyone have any pointers? They straight up hid that ****. I won't be buying music from Google again anytime soon. This is just dumb.
    05-06-2013 09:57 AM
    By default, when you purchase music on the device, I'm pretty sure Google keeps the music on their server and streams it to your phone. This keeps you from filling up your phone's storage. If you log into the Play store on your PC with the same account you used on your phone, you should be able to download it directly to the PC. I believe there's a way to force it to download to your device, instead of streaming, but off the top of my head I'm not quite sure how.
    Ry and Eduardo06sp like this.
    05-06-2013 10:04 AM
    Yes, I know but it's already on the device however, when browsing through the folder structure it is not showing up. So I can't copy and paste it from my tablet to my office machine. I'd go to Google play from here but it's blocked by the company firewall so that option is out. I think they've hidden it on the device somewhere.
    05-06-2013 10:25 AM
    yea, even when you pin songs from google music it doeesn't put them into a folder structure like if you had just copy/pasted music. While this isn't technically true thing of the music as being added into the apk. it exists in a hidden folder with an odd name, and the music is oddly named (this is how any non iOS iPod stores music as well).
    05-06-2013 11:07 AM
    Those sneaky bastards. Sure wish I could do with my music as I please. Oh well. I've learned my lesson and will not buy from them again.
    05-06-2013 11:42 AM
    Nah, you can grab the MP3 from the google music website, or with the music manager app installed on a PC or mac, and it works very well. That your work blocks that access doesn't mean that that access doesn't exist and doesn't work.
    05-06-2013 12:01 PM
    It's just overly-complicated. The music is on my device but I can't browse the file structure and click and drag. It's pretty lame.
    05-06-2013 12:18 PM
    It's just overly-complicated. The music is on my device but I can't browse the file structure and click and drag. It's pretty lame.
    its not complicated. its simply encrypted to prevent piracy. they are doing this due to pressure from the music industry.
    These are the thing the label company look for before licensing musics.. atleast you have the option to download from web or using music manager.
    you cant even do this with most songs on iTunes.
    Ry, B. Diddy and Eduardo06sp like this.
    05-06-2013 12:24 PM
    Right... But it's limiting me. I'll just have to get it from my home PC.
    05-06-2013 12:43 PM
    ***** EDIT *****
    What I wrote below this edit is still correct. However, the downloading app that lets you bypass Google Music Player, which I mentioned in the first paragraph, now seems to work with Jelly Bean. I just tested it on my N7 with success.

The app syncs with your Google Music library, then let's you browse your music under artist, song, album, playlist, and genre categories within the app. Its interface is very clean and straightforward. Once you find the song, album or playlist you want, long press on it to download it, and it will download in mp3 format (or I assume whatever format you uploaded to Google Music). The download is located by default in the /sdcard/Music/Cloud Music folder, though you can change the default download location.

Unfortunately, the app doesn't have a search function yet, so if you have a lot of music it might be somewhat inconvenient to locate it. Also, it is limited to 50 downloads before you have to buy the $3.99 unlock key, which seems fair enough and allows you to try it for free to make sure it works for you. The app is called Cloud Music Importer and is located here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...music.importer
    ***** END EDIT *****

If you use Music Player to pin (download) songs to your Nexus 7, the songs are placed in the directory /sdcard/android/data/com.google.android.music/files. However, you won't recognize the file name upon seeing it. It also is encoded in such a way that only Google Music Player can play it back. It does not have an mp3 extension. (There was an app on the Play Store that would convert pinned songs to mp3, but the last I looked it didn't work with Jelly Bean.)

If you can get to the Google Play Store website through your internet browser, you can download the mp3 version of the song either to your desktop/laptop or to your Nexus 7:

1. Go to the My Music section of Google Play. On the N7 the My Music section will default to the mobile version. You need to request the desktop site by tapping the menu icon (stack of four horizontal lines) at the top right corner of the page and choosing "Desktop site".
    2. Locate the song you want to download, then select it.
    3. Click or tap on the Download button. A message will appear that tells you each song can only be downloaded twice (in mp3 format), unless you use the Music Manager software to download, which allows unlimited downloads. Music Manager is only available for Windows and maybe Mac, so if you're using your Android device, or otherwise don't use Music Manager, you'll want to be aware of this limit.
    4. On the N7 the downloaded file will go into the directory as specified on your browser. The default directory using Chrome is /sdcard/downloads. Other browsers might use a different directory, but you can change it in their settings.

That's it! Of course, if, as you stated, you can't get to the Google Play website using your company's internet connection, you'll need to do this at home. But then again, that's probably where you should be doing this anyway, and is likely the reason your employer has blocked Google Play. Ah, but who am I to judge?!

By the way, an alternative music store that I like is Amazon. Amazon prices seem a little cheaper overall than Google, while the Amazon MP3 app works well on the N7 and lets you download mp3 copies of your music directly from the app. However, with Google Music you can upload 20,000 of your own songs (not purchased from Google) to store in its servers. Amazon doesn't allow nearly that many, though obviously you can store unlimited songs that are purchased from Amazon.
    05-06-2013 12:55 PM
    Here's a workaround to download your songs to your device, after which you could then transfer them to the office computer:

1. Go to music.google.com on Chrome on your N7. You'll get the mobile-optimized site first.
    2. From Chrome's settings, select "Request Desktop Site."
    3. Wait for Google Music to reload, this time with the full desktop site.
    4. For the track you want to download, hit the arrowhead to bring up the options. Select Download (just as you would on your desktop).
    5. The track will now download to the Downloads folder of your N7. The title of the file will be some Google code name, rather than the actual name of the song, but you can easily rename it.
    6. Now transfer that file to your office computer, and it should work fine.
    7. Repeat until the whole album is downloaded.

Personally, I like Google Music, because their tracks are 320 kbps bitrate, which I think still beats the other music services. The above issue is only a minor annoyance to me.
    MJKearney and Stormydesignz like this.
    05-06-2013 11:33 PM
    Here's a workaround to download your songs to your device, after which you could then transfer them to the office computer:

1. Go to music.google.com on Chrome on your N7. You'll get the mobile-optimized site first.
    2. From Chrome's settings, select "Request Desktop Site."
    3. Wait for Google Music to reload, this time with the full desktop site.
    4. For the track you want to download, hit the arrowhead to bring up the options. Select Download (just as you would on your desktop).
    5. The track will now download to the Downloads folder of your N7. The title of the file will be some Google code name, rather than the actual name of the song, but you can easily rename it.
    6. Now transfer that file to your office computer, and it should work fine.
    7. Repeat until the whole album is downloaded.

Personally, I like Google Music, because their tracks are 320 kbps bitrate, which I think still beats the other music services. The above issue is only a minor annoyance to me.
    Diddy! I know my previous response was long winded, by isn't that basically what I already suggested? Trying to one up me, eh? If it's advice war you want, then it's advice war you'll get! (Of course, I'm not really mad, just bummed and need to vent at something because the Warriors just lost in double OT to the Spurs.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-07-2013 01:59 AM
    Diddy! I know my previous response was long winded, by isn't that basically what I already suggested? Trying to one up me, eh? If it's advice war you want, then it's advice war you'll get! (Of course, I'm not really mad, just bummed and need to vent at something because the Warriors just lost in double OT to the Spurs.)
    Oh for the love of ... you're right, I just didn't read your post carefully enough. Sorry, all credit for this solution should go to MJKearney. My bad--I'm feeling a bit jetlagged from a recent flight, so my brain ain't working too good.
    MJKearney likes this.
    05-07-2013 02:49 AM
    You're both right!
    05-07-2013 10:01 AM
    You're both right!
    As usual!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-07-2013 01:21 PM
    Hmm, maybe I'll make a habit of stealing MJKearney's advice. Gotta steal from the best!
    05-07-2013 01:25 PM
    Hmm, maybe I'll make a habit of stealing MJKearney's advice. Gotta steal from the best!
    Thanks, but far from true. As a community, though, I think we're pretty damn good!
    B. Diddy and zero3187 like this.
    05-07-2013 09:32 PM
    I would much rather deal with Google music issues than this: Google Music...UGH!-androidcentral.png
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-21-2014 10:47 PM
    Womp womp.
    01-21-2014 11:20 PM
    Sorry to say we won't do that.
    It's just not commercially viable for Google to allow you to retain your own personal folder structure. To be able to be commercially viable, offering the huge space and great services we give, we need to override your own personal structuring, because it's meaningless anyway, and you need to be flattened to one of our standard profiles. Otherwise our rather simple and greedy ad- and mining software just doesn't understand. No revenue = no free google.

I apologise. Hope you understand. Computer says "No", for the moment.
    We're working on it though!

Regards, Nick

P.s. I'm replying on behalf of the entire internet business community, I'm not affiliated with Google Inc. in any way. Well, I am a bit actually. I'm a paying slave -oops- customer.
    12-27-2014 08:12 PM