Play store says "This item cannot be installed in your device's country." even though Im in U.S.

OTPVER

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Play store says "This item cannot be installed in your device's country." even though Im in U.S.

So I tried to download some new apps on my nexus 7, but when I opened the play store it only shows 14 really weird apps, like radar and a third party translator. Even when I search for apps in the search bar it shows up with no results, even though the app obviously exists.

I have tried clearing the cache and data on the store to no avail. Ive also tried to re-install the program with no results. It seems like the problem is with my gmail account, since when I try to look up apps via the play store on my desktop, it shows the exact same apps and nothing else, even when searched. When I go to an apps store page via a link, it takes me to the page, but then an error message shows up on my devices compatability saying that "This item cannot be installed in your device's country." But I live in the U.S., so I dont see what the problem is.

I tried it on my phone, and it works perfectly on it, so I have no idea what's going on. Help would be greatly appreciated.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Play store says "This item cannot be installed in your device's country." even though Im in U.S.

Some thoughts, maybe helpful, maybe not:

Are you using a proxy server for your internet connection? If so, then perhaps this server is based in a country with limited Google support. Ditch the proxy so that Google sees you are connected within the United States. After doing so, you'll probably need to clear the cache of your N7 as well as computer browser.

Under Settings > Accounts > Google > Location Settings, make sure you have the switch on to allow Google apps to use your location.

Under Settings > Personal > Location Access, make sure you allow other apps access to your location, and have WiFi and mobile network location checked.

Is your Gmail address based in the USA? Perhaps this makes a difference. And when you set up the N7, I assume you chose the USA as your location.

Finally, call Google support at 855-836-3987.

macv36

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Play store says "This item cannot be installed in your device's country." even though Im in U.S.

In my case it was Canada, I'm in Vancouver, BC and the annoying message did not wanted to go away, I tried several things but what worked for me was to look for the app on the phone browser (CBC.ca -> Olympics app) but when link opened instead of selecting the play app (google default), I choose web (stayed on my browser) where it asked me to login, then finaly I was able to see the Install button.
Hopefully this will help some other people to install the apps from their own country.

ZanTab

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site

I live in Gibraltar, which is a small country, so small that Google's copyright lawyers probably have not heard about it. But we are an affluent European nation and naturally my credit cards are located here. Virtually any app that I try to install is "incompatible with" my device or "unavailable in" my country. Most good apps are not even displayed in the Play Store. Ironically their add-ons or expansions are usually displayed and can be installed, but what good is that? Wherever possible, I download APKs from developer's site or APK distributor sites and sometimes there is a risk of malware, but what can I do? I don't want to root my phone or do anything illegal, but Google does not give me a chance. This complete geographical isolation is not only gratuitously offensive but stupid (I can pay good money like anyone else, which developers are losing!), but it is a price I pay for Google's ignorance. Not for long, hopefully. After 3 years of sticking to Android (I don't like the Apple ecosystem), I see that the Windows environment is maturing slowly at last and I may switch later this year, giving up Android for good. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol