How do you bookmark or install the Play Store's Nexus 7 Guidebook?

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Google Play store has a free "Nexus 7 Guidebook" that gets pretty good reviews. Unfortunately, unlike most of their free apps, it only says "read" instead of "install", and I don't see any way to bookmark/favorite it either. Is there any way to install it permanently on my N7 or do I always have to go to play store, look it up, and then (finally) read it? :confused:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
1. Open the Play Books app.
2. Go to the My Library section. (To get to it, swipe the navigation bar out from the left side of the screen.)
3. Find the book you want for offline reading.
4. Tap on the menu button (3 vertical dots) under the book's cover.
5. In the pop up window tap on "Keep on device".

The book will be downloaded in what I believe is a proprietary format, so you'll need to view it using the Play Books app. To remove the offline version, follow the above steps, but tap "Don't keep" in the pop up window. The book will still remain available online.

You can't place a shortcut to a specific book on your home screen, but you can add the Play Books widget, which lets you easily flip through covers of all the books you have, then tap the one you want to read.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded it in .pdf format. It will then open in Adobe reader or if you prefer use a file viewer like Ghost Commander with which you can open it in a bookreader of your choice which supports pdf. I have done so in UB Reader which supports .pdf and also .epub. The Nexus manual is now available from the shelf in UB Reader app. As far as bookmarks etc that will depend on which book reader you are using.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Open the Play Books app.
2. Go to the My Library section. (To get to it, swipe the navigation bar out from the left side of the screen.)
3. Find the book you want for offline reading.
4. Tap on the menu button (3 vertical dots) under the book's cover.
5. In the pop up window tap on "Keep on device".

The book will be downloaded in what I believe is a proprietary format, so you'll need to view it using the Play Books app. To remove the offline version, follow the above steps, but tap "Don't keep" in the pop up window. The book will still remain available online.

You can't place a shortcut to a specific book on your home screen, but you can add the Play Books widget, which lets you easily flip through covers of all the books you have, then tap the one you want to read.

That's exactly what I needed to know, MJ. Thanks.

**There's another thing I'm trying to figure out now. Once I'm reading a specific page in any chapter of this Guidebook, how do I get directly back to the table of contents? For instance, if I'm reading page one of chapter 2 ("Explore your tablet"), and I hit the back arrow, it just takes me directly back to the book's main icon. Then, if I press that icon, it takes me right back to chapter 2's "Explore your tablet" page again. Any suggestions as to how I can leap from any page in the book directly to the table of contents ?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I needed to know, MJ. Thanks.

**There's another thing I'm trying to figure out now. Once I'm reading a specific page in any chapter of this Guidebook, how do I get directly back to the table of contents? For instance, if I'm reading page one of chapter 2 ("Explore your tablet"), and I hit the back arrow, it just takes me directly back to the book's main icon. Then, if I press that icon, it takes me right back to chapter 2's "Explore your tablet" page again. Any suggestions as to how I can leap from any page in the book directly to the table of contents ?

when in book press menu[3 dots on top right]-->contents

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Tap near bottom of page . You will see scrollbar at bottom and other settings at top.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
when in book press menu[3 dots on top right]-->contents
Still1, the top right 3 vertical dots doesn't have "contents" listed on my N7, but the 3 horizontal lines with a dot at the end of each of them (right between the magnifying glass and Aa) does immediately give me a drop down menu of the Table of Contents, so that's probably what you meant? Anyway it works. Thanks. :)