Notification text chopped off

Eaton Scrapple

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Lots of times I will get news notifications with long messages. HOW do you scroll them to the left to read the "faded out" part of the message on the right? Swiping with a finger seems to DELETE the notification. OK, if you press the notification you go into the app itself...but the app doesn't display the notification either.

What's the gimmick...It says like "BREAKING NEWS...ATOMIC SATELLITE DEBRIS IS ABOUT TO FALL ON... and you can't see the end of the message. So you swipe it, the message is gone. You press it and it opens the app but by then the notification is stale or wasn't a news story at all as such. Now the notification is gone and you are left hanging.

I figure there is some gesture I'm missing here.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Holy crappolo, did you ever find out where the atomic satellite debris fell? Hopefully not near my house!

But on to much more important things. Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about, and it can be a bit frustrating. This is especially true with the news apps that don't take you directly to the story after tapping the notification, yet the story is too new to have made their home page. CNN is a good example of this, while USA Today, while not going directly to the story, at least opens up a page with the full headline

As far as I know, the text cut off is just the way it is. I suspect this is more the fault of the app developer than the OS. Just as some apps have notifications that let you pull down to expand and reveal the rest of the information (Appy Geek is a good example, along with Gmail), there's no reason why the developers of other news apps can't do the same thing. They probably haven't given it a lot of priority because, until Jelly Bean, such a function wasn't possible.

Try the app News Republic for expandable notifications. Actually, I'm not positive it has this, but it's from the same dev that makes Appy Geek, so it likely does. I might reinstall it, since I think they recently improved it with a redesign, similar to Appy Geek.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.mobilesrepublic.appy&token=D9x1u1Sf