pros and cons of nexus 7?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The 16GB wifi only iPad mini (cheapest version) was released at $329. That's 165% of the cost of the same size/option of the Nexus 7, $199. A quick price check indicates these prices still hold. The versions that would possibly be "worth it" are the ones with 4G; those start at $459 for the smallest version. That's 230% the cost of a Nexus 7, or the cost of two Nexus 7's + $60. Add another $200 to get to the most expensive mini. "Not much more cash" starts at $130 more and increases to $460 more, depending on options chosen.

The screen resolution is better on the Nexus 7 (216ppi vs 163ppi), the processor is better and it has Jelly Bean.

The two advantages that the iPad mini has are that it's rated for better battery life (wifi only versions, approximately 15% better in tests) and it has a camera on the back of it, for those who like that. The mini just isn't a device that makes sense with it's pricing when compared to the Nexus. Being an arguably equal device (pros and cons of each, depending on if you need a rear camera, more or less on board storage, access to your already purchased apps, etc), I don't see the value justification.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I like my Nexus 7, but if I'd bought my Nexus 4 first, I most likely would have passed on the 7.

Why? Because frankly, it is a slower, less capable Nexus 4 with a bigger screen. And while some extra screen real estate is nice, out of the 110+ plus apps I have installed on it, I can count on one hand the ones that actually look or feel any different. IMHO, this is abysmal for a tablet. Bear in mind this is not the Nexus 7's fault, but the sorry state of development for it... which I keep hoping will change - but so far has not. The lastest reminder of this is the official Roland Garros app for the French Open, which works great on my Nexus 4, but isn't even compatible with the Nexus 7.

For an extra hundred or so on a Nexus 4 you get a phone, faster CPU, more RAM, better rez display, back facing 8mp camera with 1080p video, and higher build quality.

Just something to think about. BTW, I still use my N7... but pretty much only when the N4 has to go on the charger. (c;

It may not be a very good tablet, but it's certainly far better than the other 7" competition.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with a iPad mini. Don't get me wrong the nexus 7 is a good device but, the iPad is better and not much more cash. Take for instance deleting photo albums, deleting old gmail's you have to go online from a PC and remove them from there. Also my peeve at the moment is the local app it won't show you the nearest thing it'll only show you what your circles think of it or how its rated, crazy. Yes you do get early releases, they got a word for that beta testing, no thanks if I'm testing something I want paying or compensating for it. Most of early releases are buggy. A friend once summed it up perfectly. I said "yeah but I get 4.2.1 earlier than you do" he replied "yeah and with a bit of luck it'll work by the time I get it" I felt devastated because I knew he was right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yea, I'd be happy if 4.3 will fix bugs & improve performance. keep the new bells & whistles for KLP. Battery life can be managed in a number of ways.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the post I promised from yesterday.

After 24 hrs, I love my iPad. Battery life is amazing. After leaving for work yesterday, this thing has been off the charger since 5PM yesterday. It's now 11.16 AM and my battery level is at 90% with three hours usage. WOW! I don't have to charge this iPad everyday like I did with the Nexus 7. There were a few days where my Nexus 7 could go nearly three days without a charge but that only happened a few days then it went back to draining 10% in just a few hours.

The keyboards between the two devices is also night and day. On the Nexus 7, it was so frustrating to type out long notes or posts. The sensitivity on the Nexus 7 keyboard was so bad that the Nexus would sense my skinny fingers and too many times would type a letter next to the one I was actually touching. It would make things so much harder than they had to be that I would prefer to use my voice to dictate rather than typing. The Nexus 7 is very good at dictation and usually is good at understanding me. I have never had this problem on any iPhone keyboard and I do not have that problem on my iPad Mini.

How about some screen shots? Notice how the apps on the iPad are used in landscape while the apps in the Nexus 7 are portrait.

9News app on the iPad. This is the apps homepage. This app is amazing on the iPad.

photo7x.png

Now how about the home page on the 9News app for Android?

screenshot2013060711302.png

Boring that Android app.

How about the Sirius XM app?

photo8w.png

You can even show the album artwork of whatever is playing on each channel:

photo9z.png

Now the Nexus 7 version:

screenshot2013060711462.png

Channel listing:

screenshot2013060711484.png

There are plenty more apps that I have discovered were the iPad version is 100 times better than the Nexus 7/Nexus 4 versions.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the post I promised from yesterday.

After 24 hrs, I love my iPad. Battery life is amazing. After leaving for work yesterday, this thing has been off the charger since 5PM yesterday. It's now 11.16 AM and my battery level is at 90% with three hours usage. WOW! I don't have to charge this iPad everyday like I did with the Nexus 7. There were a few days where my Nexus 7 could go nearly three days without a charge but that only happened a few days then it went back to draining 10% in just a few hours.

The keyboards between the two devices is also night and day. On the Nexus 7, it was so frustrating to type out long notes or posts. The sensitivity on the Nexus 7 keyboard was so bad that the Nexus would sense my skinny fingers and too many times would type a letter next to the one I was actually touching. It would make things so much harder than they had to be that I would prefer to use my voice to dictate rather than typing. The Nexus 7 is very good at dictation and usually is good at understanding me. I have never had this problem on any iPhone keyboard and I do not have that problem on my iPad Mini.

How about some screen shots? Notice how the apps on the iPad are used in landscape while the apps in the Nexus 7 are portrait.

9News app on the iPad. This is the apps homepage. This app is amazing on the iPad.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3903/photo7x.png

Now how about the home page on the 9News app for Android?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9412/screenshot2013060711302.png

Boring that Android app.

How about the Sirius XM app?

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1457/photo8w.png

You can even show the album artwork of whatever is playing on each channel:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7721/photo9z.png

Now the Nexus 7 version:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2369/screenshot2013060711462.png

Channel listing:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3850/screenshot2013060711484.png

There are plenty more apps that I have discovered were the iPad version is 100 times better than the Nexus 7/Nexus 4 versions.

When you're right, you're right. Now lets compare the Google Play Music app :) Actually, to be honest, many people like the iOS versions of G-Mail, Google Maps, etc. better than the Android versions too.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I hate the Nexus 7/4 music player. I don't even use either device for music. I know there are other alternate players in the play store but I love the player on my iPhone 4S. In my opinion, nothing will ever beat that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I hate the Nexus 7/4 music player. I don't even use either device for music. I know there are other alternate players in the play store but I love the player on my iPhone 4S. In my opinion, nothing will ever beat that.

Really? I love the new version. Weird :)

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When you're right, you're right. Now lets compare the Google Play Music app :) Actually, to be honest, many people like the iOS versions of G-Mail, Google Maps, etc. better than the Android versions too.

I am finding this true too. I'm a new iPad convert and find that the iPad versions are often much better than the Android version of the app. But it's a thing that won't matter unless you look at which apps you would use.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine is ok. If I were to do it over, not sure I would have purchased it. It's slower than my Galaxy Note II and iPad. Especially Web browsing. I did a test pulling up different websites, and the Nexus 7 came in last place every time. Wasn't even close.
Wish it had more Ram, faster processor, and a rear camera. A rear camera would be useful for taking quick pics to upload to Instagram, as well as using the mobile deposit feature to deposit checks to my bank account.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I own 3 tablets - an iPad 3, a PlayBook (don't use that anymore) and the Nexus 7. I like the throw in your bag or pocket size of the N7. Perfect for taking out and about or travelling. At the price they're selling for it wouldn't hurt as much if something unfortunate happened to it. It lacks a rear camera, which isn't too big a deal since my phone has one. It does feel at times though that I'm just using a huge phone. The N7 apps have been for the most part just up scaled phone apps. Gets the job done regardless, just not as elegant or tablet optimized as a lot of iPad apps.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I own 3 tablets - an iPad 3, a PlayBook (don't use that anymore) and the Nexus 7. I like the throw in your bag or pocket size of the N7. Perfect for taking out and about or travelling. At the price they're selling for it wouldn't hurt as much if something unfortunate happened to it. It lacks a rear camera, which isn't too big a deal since my phone has one. It does feel at times though that I'm just using a huge phone. The N7 apps have been for the most part just up scaled phone apps. Gets the job done regardless, just not as elegant or tablet optimized as a lot of iPad apps.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Upscaled apps are my biggest complaint about my N7 and second is the battery life. I can use my iPad Mini for hours and hours with the display ON and with the Nexus 7, after a few hours on the display on, I start thinking I have to start turning it off like when I am using music apps. Can't seem to read a book too long on the N7. My N7 is the cellular version so maybe that drains the battery more but then, so is my iPad Mini.

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The cellular version might drain battery faster. I get 7_8 hours of on screen time with my WiFi version.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if you are reading a book or listening to music that is on your device, throw it into airplane mode and you will save a lot of battery life. Even if you just turn off your cell data when not on WiFi, it will save a lot of battery life since that is very draining. The absolute worse is when you are somewhere that has no/weak signal and your device is constantly searching.

Jose Freire

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
i think you?re infiltrated here to say bad things about nexus7...go to a ipad forum and say the good things that you think...persons like you have to take a clinic consult first...tkz...

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Upscaled apps are my biggest complaint about my N7 and second is the battery life. I can use my iPad Mini for hours and hours with the display ON and with the Nexus 7, after a few hours on the display on, I start thinking I have to start turning it off like when I am using music apps. Can't seem to read a book too long on the N7. My N7 is the cellular version so maybe that drains the battery more but then, so is my iPad Mini.

If your apps are all just upscaled phone apps, then you're not doing a good job at looking for tablet alternatives. TABLIFIED lists about 3,000 tablet apps. My Nexus is stuffed full of great looking tablet apps. In fact I doubt there's anything I want my nexus to do for which there is not a tablet app available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12