Nexus 7 v Galaxy Note 8.0

bellasumu

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So I owned a Nexus 7 and it got stolen...after I kind of raged and cried about it, I started thinking about whether or not I should buy it once more or go with the Galaxy Note 8.

My question is this:

While I have no problem with the price (as I can pay both the price for the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Note 8), I want to know which one would be best for a college student in the long run.

When I owned the Nexus 7 I basically used it to browse the internet, watch TV/Movies (using Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, etc), check my email, keep up with my calender, and make notes on sermons, classes, or just random daily things. I intend to continue doing this with whatever tablet I buy in the future, with an increase in note taking and research browsing because of college.

The Nexus 7 handled all of these pretty well with a bit of drag on the videos and a little bit of stuttering here and there. It also got a bit slower after a few months of use (but what device doesn't do that after a while?)

What attracts me to the Galaxy Note 8, however, is the stylus, which would be good for note taking, and which also provides countless of uses in the tablet as a whole. There's also the fact that the Galaxy Note 8 has an exportable memory which is useful in situations where I would need to pass information from my tablet onto another computer (without having to pull out a cable or send it to myself through email). However, I also heard (through many reviews that I read and watched) that the Note 8 has a really lacking battery life compared to other devices.

As of yet I have not held the Note 8 in my hands, but I suppose it would be something like holding the Ipad mini (maybe? perhaps? not really?).

There's also the fact that I've heard that the Nexus 7 gives more 'bang for your buck', and though I love the information I'm hearing about planners (which would be soooo useful) and something about having multiple screens on the Galaxy Note 8 (which would also be incredibly useful), I wonder if I should really get the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 instead of just repurchasing the Nexus 7.

Reminder that I'm not particularly tech-y (of course I have better than average knowledge of tech) and I though I know the difference between the speeds of processors and the amount of ppi on a screen (I have a friend who is very happy to explain and re-explain), I also don't really care as long as the tech works well when I need it and for what I need it.

So, out of these two tablets which would be the best (in the long run) for a college student?

techno_techie

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Note 8 has a lot of functionality. And while the price is steep, the larger screen and s-pen can be a boon. I've researched and researched but I can't justify $380 for the 8 after paying $250 for my then 16GB Nexus. Research and play with them - Best Buy and Fry's have displays - and Fry's has a very large selection.

What's been helping me in my comparison search is reading the reviews for the Galaxy Note 8 on Amazon-several students have reviewed it.

ncvikingx97

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
While the note 8 is expensive, I would recommend the note 8 for a college student. You have access to a stylus, which is great for taking notes, extra storage , a bigger screen, and a faster processor/GPU for any projects/games. I really like my note 2, and while I don't use all of the features, if I had need to I would prefer the note. I have heard some interesting things about both screens, and while the nexus has a slightly higher resolution screen, you may prefer the amoled(pretty sure its Amoled). Hope this helps :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You mean Galaxy Tab 8? The most recent version of the Note is the Note 2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It is a Note 8 Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (16GB, White): Computers & Accessories It came out a few weeks ago with out much fanfare here in the US I guess. I have been thinking of getting one of these but I need the 32gb. I don't know if they have the 32gb yet or not.

Edit: I just looked at the Samsung site and they have removed the reference to a 32gb version of this. Don't know if they let you install apps on the sd with this. I would say no but they did release an update for S4 and they let you move the .apk file of the app to the sd card which just is not what I want or need.

Last edited:

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
For the next week Barnes and Noble has the Nooks at almost fire sale prices. HD at $129 and HD+ at $149 . These supposedly can be rooted. The plus is a larger screen and has a high density screen. So how do these options compare?

from a BB Playbook or HP Touchpad or N7

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The Note 8 has a lot of functionality. And while the price is steep, the larger screen and s-pen can be a boon. I've researched and researched but I can't justify $380 for the 8 after paying $250 for my then 16GB Nexus. Research and play with them - Best Buy and Fry's have displays - and Fry's has a very large selection.

What's been helping me in my comparison search is reading the reviews for the Galaxy Note 8 on Amazon-several students have reviewed it.
My beef with a NEXUS device is you can only get 32gb max with no sd slot. I do like many other things about the NEXUS though. The price is a big consideration. I do think for the price of the note 8 it could have a much better screen.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
But you have to carry the stylus somewhere with the nexus. The Note 8 has a place to carry the stylus which is a plus if you are into a stylus.

I have a case for my N7 that has a loop for the stylus, includes the close-to-sleep feature, and folds to a stand. I bought it on eBay for about $10.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

yami22

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
It will be risks if you buy nexus 7 maybe you will bored and regrets for not using new Tec :'(,
and according for your update you had already use nexus 7 so , go on :)

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
In terms of hardware, the now is definitely superior, other than the screen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Looks like spell corrector struck again. Presume he thinks the N7 is superior other than the screen since the Nook HD+ has a very good screen. The Nook HD+ also has HDMI and SD card slot but no front camera. The N7 has the quad core processor. But speed results aren't great.

from a BB Playbook or HP Touchpad or N7

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok first they S-Pen isn't a capacitive stylus that you would get for pretty much everything else these days. It is much more precise and has the ability to gauge pressure and some other things. There really is no comparison between a stylus and the S-Pen. Until you try both you may not understand what I mean.

As far as hardware goes the Note is pretty much superior to the Nexus 7 in every way. It has the best Coretex A-9 Processor and GPU, Twice the ram, and allot of expansion options the nexus doesn't have.

The biggest complaint people give about any of the note devices is the limited resolution. That is a limitation of the wacom digitizer that they use for the s-pen. The biggest advantage of the Nexus 7 is being GED.

The situation is pretty simple really. If you will have a good use for the S-Pen then it is a good choice, If not then stick with something like the nexus 7 or some of the other cheap good tablets coming out. The nexus 7 is getting some good compentition now on price point with the most recent new tablet release.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I would go with the Note 8. I have the Note 2 smartphone, as well as the Nexus 7. After using the features that Samsung has added, as well as the S-Pen, my Nexus 7 seems boring to me.
Just like my Note 2, the Note 8 tablet can run two apps in split screen mode. You can watch a YouTube video, while emailing someone, taking notes, or browsing the web. The S-Pen is so much better than a regular stylus. I like using it for Full HTML websites that contain pop-out navigation links. I can hover my S-Pen over the links to reveal the sub-menus. This can't be done on any tablet or smartphone that doesn't have the S-Pen technology. Note 8 also has a rear camera for those times you feel the urge to post a pic to social network sites.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jody Porter1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
If price truly isn't an issue or concern the the note 8.0 all the way. The note 8.0 truly is the first tablet to make you prefer and enjoy using the stylist over typing and is full of great features. You will realize that as good as the nexus is and it is good the note 8.0 is like an entire new platform of tablets, its the first tablet to be what we have always expected from a tablet. Just so you understand me, I use a note 2 as my daily phone a windows 8 10 inch tablet as my laptop replacement and the note 8.0 as my something in between. Note 8.0 still fits in your casual clothes pockets, just. So makes you more likely to carry it around unlike a 10 inch tablet but still has a large enough screen to work on unlike note 2 which is great. Hand Writing on note 8.0 is fantastic and as you lessened that you want to take notes this is must buy for you.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If price truly isn't an issue or concern the the note 8.0 all the way. The note 8.0 truly is the first tablet to make you prefer and enjoy using the stylist over typing and is full of great features. You will realize that as good as the nexus is and it is good the note 8.0 is like an entire new platform of tablets, its the first tablet to be what we have always expected from a tablet. Just so you understand me, I use a note 2 as my daily phone a windows 8 10 inch tablet as my laptop replacement and the note 8.0 as my something in between. Note 8.0 still fits in your casual clothes pockets, just. So makes you more likely to carry it around unlike a 10 inch tablet but still has a large enough screen to work on unlike note 2 which is great. Hand Writing on note 8.0 is fantastic and as you lessened that you want to take notes this is must buy for you.

Yeah and if price was no issue, I'd be driving a brand new Porsche instead of a 94 Buick. Some people are so quick to dismiss price when it comes to tablets, as though it's just a secondary issue. I'll also point out that even now, when there are new reviews done in the press of the budget tablet market, the Nexus 7 almost always wins as the best of the bunch.

Thomas Cook

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Dude for holding the s pen you pay $100 more??
For that, I would tape it along with my nexus.. lol...
Better option wud be to buy a case for nexus that holds the stylus..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol