Unable to Connect to Internet after uninstalled AdBlock Plus. Proxy setting issue?

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
My question is in the subject line.
Ad Block plus was unable to install the last few updates I was notified of. That concerned me so I uninstalled it from the Apps section of settings.
Now I am unable to connect to the internet even after rebooting.

I assumed that the proxy setting that were changed for "Ad Block" (local host/port 2020) did not get removed when I removed the program,
but I can not find where to change those proxy setting back after searching my setting high and low.

Please help me. I am going out for a late dinner now, without my tablet, in hopes that some of you far more knowledgeable knows the answer to my dilemma and will post here.
I will check in after dinner.

Last edited:

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
Well I am home but see no responses so I will continue googling for an answer, as I did during dinner.

Will check back here tomorrow with my fingers crossed:eek:

Update: Argh. I can find solutions to connect to the network but that is not my problem. My network connection is solid and strong. I can not connect to the internet.:mad:

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you have to install adblock again and disable it from the app. uninstalling app wont remove the proxy settings.

I use adaway but the concept is the same

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think Adblock and AdAway and other ad blockers were removed from Play by Google to protect ad generated revenue for developers using ads for free apps. This encourages paying for the ad free versions which supports app developers. You can still install from a backup if you have one.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Adblock and AdAway and other ad blockers were removed from Play by Google to protect ad generated revenue for developers using ads for free apps. This encourages paying for the ad free versions which supports app developers. You can still install from a backup if you have one.

That's one way to look at it. I'd be more inclined to view it from the angle that ads are google's main source of revenue and they are looking out for themselves, not app devs...

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
But how do I download and re install when I can't connect to the internet? Isn't their someway I can change the settings on my tablet that I am overlooking?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
Does this work?
Settings
Wi-Fi
+ (add)
check Show advanced options box

Yes. I tried this first, but the Advance Options Option would not/ did not appear. Argh. I tried this on existing connection but not a new one. Will try on a newly added one when I get home from work tonight. Am on lunch hr. Thanks for the suggestion..

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
I think you will need to sideload the app to fix this without doing a factory reset. Download the apk from here using your computer:

Install Adblock Plus for Android

Then plug your n7 into your computer and copy the file over to it and install...

Thank you. I have never sideloaded to Nexus. Is there a particular directory the apk should go in? Can not wait to get home from work to try and get my N7 online again. This second withdrawal is just too much. Lol

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you put it in the downloads folder, hopefully you can access it using the Downloads "app". If not, you will need a file manager installed to find the apk wherever you put it.

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
If you put it in the downloads folder, hopefully you can access it using the Downloads "app". If not, you will need a file manager installed to find the apk wherever you put it.

Oh brother. I downloaded and sideloaded the apk file in the downloads folder but of course now I have to get a file manager to install it since clicking it from my pc does nothing. This is so frustrating and totally unfair. ABP should give a warning when you uninstall it that this awful thing will happen if the temporary proxy settings are not removed. Plus android should be ashamed that they don't allow we users to change the proxy settings.

Part 2
Duh -- I logged off but just came back to say that there is no point in me downloading the Astro FIle Manager. apk because I wont be able to install it on the N7.

Catch 21. Gonna log off and cry now since I now have a WiFi Table that I can't use WiFI with again. Might as well say this is the second N7 that was stolen from me .. this time by ABP software instead of a human being.

Part 3
Ok I am back and I was able to get to the apk for ABP by opening it up in Office Suite. It is now installed but daggone if I can get to the proxy settings.... But I CAN get back onto the internet.

I think I will call it a night and try to figure out the CORRECT AND PROPER way to remove ABP tomorrow.

Good night everyone and thanks for trying to help. I will check in tomorrow on lunch break for any and all advice.

Last edited:

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying you put it in the downloads folder but it does not appear in the Downloads "app"? If that's the case and you don't already have a file manager installed, I think you will need to factory reset (unless someone else has a suggestion). If you do, then first thing install a file manager next time...

gizmi

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I installed Adblock on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and lost my WiFi. Keeps saying it is Disabled. I have installed and uninstalled Adblock. I have removed the proxy settings. I have turned the phone off and on. No success with any of it. Before Adblock, I had no problems using home WiFi with my phone....now nothing. Does anyone have a solution that works, apart from a factory reset????? Even when I uninstall Adblock and there appears to be no sign of it on my S3, the home WiFi is still disabled, even though the signal strength is strong and there is a connection.
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

spirtosan

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Same problem - tryed everything, from changing DNS, rebooting, to reinstalling adblock. Forgetting my WiFi network, then connecting again solved the problem.

Last edited:

Belinda Chinea

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Simple solution and no, you do not need to reinstall Ad Block!
All you need to do is go into Settings, open your wifi network and set it back to the way it was... before 2020 , mine was 8080 and instead of localhost, it should read DCHP and none. Voila, all is back to normal!:cool:

Amyth Shah Aks

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
uninstall ABP.................THEN GO TO SETTING.. ..WI-FI..............LONG PRESS ON YOUR CONNECTED NETWORK....CLICK ON MODIFY........CHOOSE ADVANCE SETTING....CHANGE PROXY SETTING TO' NONE' FROM MANUAL...

DONE. IT WORKED IN MY CASE FOR MICROMAX CANVAS FUN a76