Performance Issues

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 is have performance issues. First issue is it seems take longer to boot up from lock screen to unlock and to home screen. Second UI is sluggish and unresponsive. I find opening apps or navigation through menu and app drawer takes longer. Apps open up to black screen and crash have to wair several seconds to load. The only new app I have download in last week is candy crush and I have played Candy Crush with no performance issues until the last couple of days.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 is have performance issues. First issue is it seems take longer to boot up from lock screen to unlock and to home screen. Second UI is sluggish and unresponsive. I find opening apps or navigation through menu and app drawer takes longer. Apps open up to black screen and crash have to wair several seconds to load. The only new app I have download in last week is candy crush and I have played Candy Crush with no performance issues until the last couple of days.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

You aren't alone. I have the same issue, and there should be a few threads talking about this already.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of things to try. First, how much free space do you have? The device loses performance if you are running low on space.

A couple of tips:

* Disable Google Currents. (Use Flipboard for your news reader)

* Clear the system cache. This requires booting to the boot loader. Google it for instructions.

* Go to Settings > Apps and find Chrome. Uninstall updates. It speeds up Chrome and it also helped with performance issues of the rest of my tablet.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You aren't alone. I have the same issue, and there should be a few threads talking about this already.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
How long have you had your nexus before it started to have performance issues?
There are a couple of things to try. First, how much free space do you have? The device loses performance if you are running low on space.

A couple of tips:

* Disable Google Currents. (Use Flipboard for your news reader)

* Clear the system cache. This requires booting to the boot loader. Google it for instructions.

* Go to Settings > Apps and find Chrome. Uninstall updates. It speeds up Chrome and it also helped with performance issues of the rest of my tablet.
2GB to 3GB of storage left.
Uninstall the Chrome app.
Cleared system cache from partition is that right?
Why do need to disable Google Currents?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
You can't uninstall Chrome since it is part of the image, but you can uninstall updates; that is what you should do.

Currents is a known system hog, so many posts around here will suggest to disable it.

You should try to open some more of your storage because whatever is remaining will be used for cache.

Yes, clearing the system cache from the partition is what I was referring to.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I will keep running currents but I will delete more of my storage space.
Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to keep currents, I suggest turning off the background sync for it, since that seems to be the killer.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
2GB to 3GB of storage left.

There was an issue affecting the 16 gb model only where when it got down in this range (which is much more free than android needs), lag would develop. People had various solutions (free space then use an app that rewrites the empty space) and an android update was supposed to resolve the issue but I don't believe there was ever a consensus that the issue was resolved.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There was an issue affecting the 16 gb model only where when it got down in this range (which is much more free than android needs), lag would develop. People had various solutions (free space then use an app that rewrites the empty space) and an android update was supposed to resolve the issue but I don't believe there was ever a consensus that the issue was resolved.

Any links to this info.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Any links to this info.

No, not off hand. It's just a recollection I have from reading this forum for a while. Since I have the 8gb model, I was never affected...

[edit]: Here's a thread...it's only one of a few as I recall...you can use the search as well as I can...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...till-slow-down-low-disk-space-encryption.html

[edit2]: Another:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/212932-sluggish-performance-slow-i-o.html

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine isn't running as fast as I would like.
I did a factory reset, but not a hard reset.
I was reading where users were saying you have to plug it up to a computer to do a hard reset. Is this true?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have never heard of something called a "hard reset" that wouldn't involve loading a new image. I don't see how it would do anything that a factory reset wouldn't do since it is just reverting to a saved image that is stored on the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm