Who's getting a next-gen Nexus 7?

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, after 2 years and almost a dozen tablets and hundreds of $, I realized 7'' tablets are not for me. I sold them all, and kept only my iPad 3. Even that is mostly collecting dust. I went back to my laptop.

shief24

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought the nexus 7 last weekend not knowing a new version was on its way. I would pick this over the galaxy tab but now I don't know if I should return it and buy the new version... Apparently it only has a 4000 maH battery. The rear camera addition isn't that important to me but nevertheless it's one Month a way. Should I return it?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought the nexus 7 last weekend not knowing a new version was on its way. I would pick this over the galaxy tab but now I don't know if I should return it and buy the new version... Apparently it only has a 4000 maH battery. The rear camera addition isn't that important to me but nevertheless it's one Month a way. Should I return it?

Tough call, I would have recommended waiting had you not purchased it, but I'm not sure that is the same as recommending to return it.

I'm for sure interested in this refresh. I love my current N7 (thankfully doesn't have many of the issues people have experienced with sluggishness, etc) and want to see them continue to put these monsters out.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hells yeah I'm getting the Next Nexus 7.

Haven't used my N7 in a few days. Just started it up and it took over a minute to start and then another for everything to load.. Feels like a 90's computer..

It's definitely not as smooth as it was 11 months ago.

Yet my 6 month old Nexus 4 with the S4 Pro, is buttery smooth as it was Day 1 and still has an awesome restart/start time.

The Nexus 7 would get more use if it had a better processor.

Another reason I am getting the Next Nexus 7 is space. I've held onto this 8GB N7 hoping to upgrade to something with more space.

Definitely going to opt for the higher storage space this time around.. 8GB is not enough since you can't fill it up without significantly showing this tablet down. You have to leave it some space.

So this new upcoming Nexus will be the one to look out for. If they somehow add wireless charging and miracast compatibility in it, while maintaining their low cost. Then they would really have a lot of things they can advertise and market about this tablet and get more sales.

Though it's definitely still a great deal and better than what anyone else will be offering at an equivalent price even without all that.

I'm excited to see the final product.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As I posted once before, one of the benefits of a Nexus device are the Android updates you get, close to launch date of the new Android version. I'm depriving myself of one of the Nexus 7's main benefits if I upgrade already. Still loving my first-gen N7.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely going to upgrade to the new nexus. My current nexus lags and I'm sure the newer model won't since its going to have a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

elzafir

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I guess for people who invested a lot in Google Play Store/Books/Movies/Music, a combination of both Android tablet+phone would make a lot of sense.
But for people who are "platform independent", doesn't it make your Android phone redundant?

As I'm already rocking a Nexus 4, a Windows Phone 7.8 as my second phone and a Windows 8 Pro Ultrabook,
I'm debating of getting the current-gen Nexus 7 Wi-Fi version for $200,
OR waiting for the next-gen 3G Nexus 7 which will probably cost $400 in my country,
OR waiting for the next iPad Mini HD, which will probably cost $550 for the 3G version in my country.

With the cheap N7, I would save a lot of money. With the next-gen N7 I will surely get a quality tablet, with the same Android version as my phone.
And with the new iPad Mini, I would have access to iOS only games and apps (the newly released Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic came to mind).

What do you guys think I should get and why?

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Me most likely. I'm making do with my "day one" iPad 2, but I really want to get the best 7" tablet as my upgrade. The iPad is over 2 years old now, gets quite heavy when doing a lot of reading (which I do), and never seems to quite fit anywhere. I looked at the Galaxy Note 8, and I'd be tempted to get one if it were $400 with LTE, but for wifi only I'll pass.

Only reason I didn't get the N7 is that it's specs are very 2011ish, really no better than an iPad 2. I want a real performance upgrade, and I'm hoping we can get the screen of a Nook HD and the processor of an S4 on the next gen Nexus 7.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just used my Nexus 7 again after months with the iPad Mini. It's virtually unusable. So laggy. And the screen quality, while higher res than the Mini, is not great.

So hopefully the next Nexus 7 improves on the lag (more RAM, faster CPU) and the screen.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would wait and see how it works in real life from other people who will be posting once they get it.
Personally I like mine but battery is not great and after it "sleeps" for a while WiFi never come back to life. And yes, I do have the do not turn off WiFi while sleeping option turned on.

bswangolf

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me to find these new "leaked" pics crazy? I'm pretty sure I am not the only one that a 7 inch tablet with out great sound doesn't make since! These pics doesn't have FRONT FACING SPEAKERS!!! Seriously? Even all tablets, are we not to the point of expecting/ needing FRONT FACING SPEAKERS?

Axyem

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I love my nexus 7 I got it as a Christmas present to myself but I only had it for no more than 4 days until I accidentally dropped it while trying to pick it up and take with me to go buy a case (terrible luck). I still haven't decided if I'm going to repair my own one or buy the new one. I'm going to wait to see if the price is right, it would've been fixed by now if I had more money.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me to find these new "leaked" pics crazy? I'm pretty sure I am not the only one that a 7 inch tablet with out great sound doesn't make since! These pics doesn't have FRONT FACING SPEAKERS!!! Seriously? Even all tablets, are we not to the point of expecting/ needing FRONT FACING SPEAKERS?

The reason speakers aren't front facing is because it is displeasing to the aesthetics. They would prefer the front of the device to be clean and smooth than to have the front facing speakers. I really don't care because if I am doing anything that requires good sound (music/movies), I am using headphones.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't use my Nexus 7 as much as I did when I fist purchased it.
After getting the Note II, it has filled the void of my Nexus 7.
It out performs my Nexus 7 in every way.
I now find myself using my Note II, iPad, and Laptop.
Therefore, I'll most likely pass on the upcoming Nexus 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I would like the next generation Nexus 7 tablet, but I'm trying to decide between that and a Chromebook. I have always wanted a tablet with Swype installed. I have only used iPads though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I would like the next generation Nexus 7 tablet, but I'm trying to decide between that and a Chromebook. I have always wanted a tablet with Swype installed. I have only used iPads though.

I have the current Nexus 7 and the 2011 Samsung Chromebook. I use the Nexus 7 far more than I do the Chromebook. The Nexus 7 is way better for everything, I think, unless you plan on creating and editing a lot of documents.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the current Nexus 7 and the 2011 Samsung Chromebook. I use the Nexus 7 far more than I do the Chromebook. The Nexus 7 is way better for everything, I think, unless you plan on creating and editing a lot of documents.

Give me some details as to why the Nexus 7 is better. I wasn't too but one or the other soon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome