Nexus 7, type password to decrypt storage.....

Will Leung1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Everytime I turn on my Nexus 7, it ask me to "Type password to decrypt storage".
Don't know how to fix it. I haven't set any password before.
Anyone please help me how to fix it.
Thanks!

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That is what happens after you encrypt the device, so you must have set a password at some point or stole/bought it from someone that did.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately once a password is set you can't use the device without it.

You can't encrypted the tablet by mistake.
It takes several screens, and steps that require input, to do it, along with warnings that you need to be plugged in and that it can take hours to complete.
Plus warnings that you not forget your password.

I'm sure the original owner would be glad to help you with the password.

Posted via Android Central App

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
This device is probably stolen, no way it would just pop up like that. Judging by the fact that this is your first and only post, I suggest that you return the phone to its owner. If you didn't steal the phone, your out of luck anyway.

Sent from my Verizon S3

anon(6149596)

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi there -

I am actually having the same issue here. My husband bought this tablet for me for Christmas of last year - I am the only owner - I have the receipt so drop the BS that it's stolen. I haven't turned the thing on in about a month or so (maybe a little more?) and finally charged it last night. I don't remember ever setting a password for it and am getting this message. I have also tried every password I've ever used and it won't accept.

Earlier post suggests it takes hours to encrypt with several steps/screens - I have never done this. I would certainly remember spending hours of my time setting a password that would sever use if forgotten - and would have left myself a sticky note with the password somewhere.

[EDIT] - Called ASUS and they told me to wipe the device because that was the only thing you can really do at this point - so I did and at least it works (boo hoo saved data I guess) - It is important to note that one cannot assume the device is stolen if someone has this issue - I never set a password and it happened after the device had been off for awhile - after looking into it a little more online it seems there are several people having this issue after the device has been off for an extended amount of time.

Last edited:

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there -

I am actually having the same issue here. My husband bought this tablet for me for Christmas of last year - I am the only owner - I have the receipt so drop the BS that it's stolen. I haven't turned the thing on in about a month or so (maybe a little more?) and finally charged it last night. I don't remember ever setting a password for it and am getting this message. I have also tried every password I've ever used and it won't accept.

Earlier post suggests it takes hours to encrypt with several steps/screens - I have never done this. I would certainly remember spending hours of my time setting a password that would sever use if forgotten - and would have left myself a sticky note with the password somewhere.

[EDIT] - Called ASUS and they told me to wipe the device because that was the only thing you can really do at this point - so I did and at least it works (boo hoo saved data I guess) - It is important to note that one cannot assume the device is stolen if someone has this issue - I never set a password and it happened after the device had been off for awhile - after looking into it a little more online it seems there are several people having this issue after the device has been off for an extended amount of time.

Hi, Khemistry...

Was just about to post the following, when I caught your edit... but I'll post anyway... and you're right, people shouldn't be too easy to judge. Glad you got it sorted :) :).

---------------------------

It's amazing how people easily jump to the worst possible conclusions, and automatically assume some sort of criminal skulduggery is involved... but this problem has been widely reported before.

It seems to involve a failure to mount the DATA partition correctly, and the Android OS erroneously assumes it's encrypted.... anyway there's a thread here that's worth a read...

[Q] Type Password to Decrypt Storage after 4.2.2 update - xda-developers

Fortunately I've never been beset with this particular problem myself, so I can't really help with a solution.

Good luck.

Rgrds,
Ged.

swat510

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. I was the only owner of the device, it is clearly a bug and not a accidental locking or a stolen device. Mine was also powered off for quite some time before the issue occurred. Here are the instructions I used to do factory reset on my Nexus 7 Tablet that had this issue:

If your tablet is on, power it off.
Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.

Grant Helton

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the same issue, not happy about having to lose all my data through a factory reset.
I just talked with Google Support and they've never heard of this. Please call them and let them know: "Call us at 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS)"

I can't believe they're unaware of such huge issue that is affecting so many people...

deborah1954

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I can tell you I did not steal mine, and I did not set up a password...no need I live alone and have HONEST friends....and mine was off for a month and is doing the same thing and when I got it NEW it was packaged as if it were new and I got it from a store............so what do you say to that.....:p

I am having the same issue, and have tried to get in touch with ASUS do you still have the phone number you called? I got this new and never set any password??????????

Last edited by a moderator:

phoebus1

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a resolution to this? I just bought this new Nexus 7 last week. I was disappointed in that it's already frozen once and crashed a few times. But I just got this message for the first time tonight, and it's very frustrating. I did have a PIN setup, but no disk encryption. I will try calling the number, but I hope someone here has a solution. I was surprised that (when it works), I like it much better than my iPad mini. But I've not had this kind of issues with iOS before. I'm definitely not an Apple fan... but this is very disappointing.

I went ahead and called 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS). They say that they had never heard of the problem. While on hold and talking to the reprepsentative, I went ahead and followed the steps (here: Run like Hell: Nexus 7: "Type password to decrypt storage" after completely discharged) to reset the tablet to factory settings. For me, it worked. I still have to setup all of my screens and login and setup all of my apps again. It's very annoying. When I dropped my iPad, I took it to an Apple Store and had a new iPad with ALL settings and apps restored from iCloud in 60-min for $50 (because I paid for Apple Care). When my Nexus resets (for no fault of my own), I have to reset it myself and can only get a partial restore. The representative said that I can connect the Nexus to a computer and copy all of the files as a backup. I'll try it an see. I doubt that it will restore all settings. But it is what it is. And it is disappointing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you look at the link in gedblake's post above? Probably the memory chips are failing and I'd be surprised if you can reset it. You will need to send it for warranty service.

sunfourgirl

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
This just happened tome on my work phone that I took out of the box new. My battery got to less than 1% before I turned it off....then when I went to turn it on after a charge, I've got this message to type decrypt storage. I've tried all my work and personal passwords and can't get in.

PaperBoy120

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I had recently updated my Nexus 7 to 4.3. I have TWERP.

-I did not steal or gain my device through any illegal actions-
I bought my device from Google back in February, it bricked itself (it had something wrong inside, and made that creaking sound when held a little tight) in March or July, I sent it to ASUS to get it repaired, (pretty sure I got a different device back). So for a month I was extra careful, didn't root it till recently. (Rooted for the OTG, and other root required features) So then this happens just after I had a sleep. If I could I'd love to change it for the newer model. But I can't. (in tead stuck with the battery draining Tegra 3)

Last night I turned off my device, 8 hours later, when I was going to check my emails, I had the same problem. It's asking for a 'Password to decrypt storage.'

Last night I did not and would never Encrypt the storage, I hear it's a pain to do, that's also the only part of the OS that I've never looked at.

What I don't understand is how this could've happened, I've never used Passwords on my tablet, other than emails and websites. And no, you can rule out anyone in the family to have done it, my family isn't exactly "Technical".

---
After reading the posts on this site, I have to say I have wiped the data and started again, shame though I had a lot of data I wanted to keep on there.

Caleb Hill

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, it isn't a theft thing. I was browsing the internet and the screen just went dark and it give the message everyone is complaining about. Had to call Google to do a factory reset, it was the only option. The guy I talked to said they had a bug report on the original Nexus 7 but not the new HD one, which is what I'm running. He said they would open a bug report on it, hopefully they fix it!