Nexus 7 choppy music playback

Shejtan

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I got myself a 32gb, wifi only version of N7. Upgraded it instantly to 4.2.2 . Nothing to complain about in the first 2 days.

After that, I noticed that, when I play music (stream through upnp on local network or play mp3 / flac files on local storage - tested several players, bsplayer, google player, poweramp...), and do some other stuff on the tablet at the same time - surf, or just 'click around', or swipe through my documents - occassionally I experience short sound dropouts, like the I/O-load would be too high or something. Please note this isn't bluetooth thing some people experienced, I use regular phones. It happens sometimes when I do some trivial stuff...noticed it all over the place, while starting an app, surfing, writing something in the Google search window, searching people on FB, opening a browser (empty) tab, even clicking on application button to see the list. It can be really anything, it doesn't happen a lot but it's there.

I googled the problem but couldn't find anyone with similar issues. Read on the other hand a lot about general performance issues of the Nexus 7 after 4.2.2 upgrade, about (visual) lag, so I figured, even though my eye didn't catch that on my device (this is my first experience with 4.x.x so it looked fast and smooth enough to me), I decided to revert to 4.1.2 and see whether there would be any difference. I can't say I could see/hear improvement, maybe a slight one, but I still get to experience occassional chops in my music, which is very annoying, this should be ridiculously easy for a 4-core processor to accomplish. It's unacceptable. I even checked that CPU wasnt overloaded when these chops occured (in fact, it was only around 25%-30% when the chops occured, perhaps the peaks were to short for program to register them - I dunno)...

I also tried everything people suggested here regarding general performance issues, disabling this and that, Currents, factory resets, cleaning cache partition...you name it. Nada.
Anybody experienced similar thing? Don't know if I have faulty unit or if this is bug in software (Samsung Galaxy S3 had a similar thing when it got out, even though the sound pops occured under different circumstances - took several software upgrades until it got fixed)...I'm thinking of returning it and go for iPad mini or something.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.