Nexus 7 won't charge

nexus_paul

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
For for a while our 7 wouldn't charge properly, and we found it was due to us using a extended USB, or so we thought.

Since we went back to using the standared cable its been fine, but a few days ago it started slow charging again. It charges very slowly, to the point that it pretty much needs to be on the charger all day if you want to get any use out of it. At best it charges at about 5% per hour. If you use the nexus while its on charge, it will start dropping.

If its left on charge over night it will get to about 70%, even if you switch it totally off. We've tried another genuine Nexus charger, and it makes no difference.

I've contacted google as its only a 6 months old, and they have said we need to do a factory reset. That will wipe out my wifes game data, which she doesn't want to lose. I gather we can't back this up, so we have to lose it all.

Is there anything else we can try first?

I've read the other charging problem theads, but this seems to be different, as we can't get it to charge properly in the first place.

Kurt Dela Cruz

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Did you touch the wall adapter? if it's very hot if it is very hot unplug the wall adapter from your socket.Wait for at least 2 minutes, that also happens with my tab 2 so i'm used to it good luck!Btw use juice defender to preserve battery life :D

- - - Updated - - -

Plug it back when you're done !

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't stress it. The same thing happened to me a few months ago and Google sent me a brand new device as a replacement. I know it sucks that you'll have to rest your device anyway whether you try to troubleshoot the problem or get a replacement but you really have no choice, you more than likely have a bad battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

nexus_paul

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
The charger is not hot. Its not an issue with battery drain, its an issue with charging. It was turned off, and left on charge all night last night. This morning it was at 40%.

nexus_paul

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't stress it. The same thing happened to me a few months ago and Google sent me a brand new device as a replacement. I know it sucks that you'll have to rest your device anyway whether you try to troubleshoot the problem or get a replacement but you really have no choice, you more than likely have a bad battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It looks as if we will ahve to do the reset. Then send it back if its the same.

cris m

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine had the same problems, probably even worse.
One morning, I woke up to find that the battery had drained completely and the tablet had turned off. "No problem," I say, "I'll just plug it in to charge." Did so, but nothing happened. Black screen, no signs of life. Though to myself, "I'll just leave it like this a while." After several hours: still nothing.
So I scoured the internets for solutions and discussions. And, believe me, I tried them ALL: hold the power button for 15 or 30 seconds, even a minute; hold the power button and the volume buttons for same amount of time. I got desperate. I knew I couldn't rely on the shop I bought it from (previous experiences have taught me so). So I decided to dive further in: youtube videos showing how to pull off the back and fiddle with the battery cables. Tried it several times, nothing. Thought the battery was fried or something. Went online and ordered a replacement battery.
But something happened: while I was waiting for the battery to arrive, I thought I should go and ask local IT repairmen. Went from shop to shop, but most of them refused to toy with it or acknowledged their lack of expertise. But one man stepped up to the challenge. He told me to leave the Nexus with him and to come back in two hours, he would figure it our. And by golly, he did. It was a software problem, apparently. He reset it through a button on the inside somewhere.

TL;DR: Try pulling of the back and resetting it through a button inside somewhere.

Hope this helps

martynston

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think I have solved the problem at least with my Nexus 7. I have had my Nexus 7 for over a year now and I suddenly found that Nexus was not charging properly or very slowly and was actually losing power if I had it plugged in and using it at the same time. I visited number of forums which suggested the following going into the back of the nexus and checking your battery connection (this voids your warranty if you do this). Mine was fine, I also switched off GPS and Auto Sync. I also went into settings and checked all my apps cleared the Cache and removed any apps that I was not using. This did improve things but not as much as I wanted. I also bought a new cable which was not Asus which did not work at all (it was supposed to be compatible). This lead me to think why has this started to suddenly happen what has changed recently. So I went back and looked at my apps again more carefully and found that there was one app that was using a huge amount of data (this was the new BTsports app). I removed this app and my charging has improved massively. I also make sure I am logged out of Facebook as I noticed this used a lot of data too. The only pain is if I want to watch BT sports I have to download the app each time. I would rather do this than has slow charging issues. I hope this is helpful to anyone who is having issues.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 7 started doing the same thing after about nine months. All of a sudden, it would lose charge while the screen was on and plugged in, and would take 20+ his to charge while turned off.

I contacted ASUS Support and they had me do a factory reset from the boot menu, which didn't help. So, a month ago, I sent it in for warranty repair. I got it back ten days later, no paperwork, still taking forever to charge. It took 18 hours to fully charge from receiving it with 78% remaining. When I contacted ASUS again, they checked the RMA number and saw that the tech had replaced the battery. So, back to the repair center it went. A week later, I had it back with a brand new main board.

Now it is back to working like normal. I hate that I had to send it in, especially since it took two trips to actually get it repaired. Besides the screen and casing, it's pretty much a new device.

I backed up by files before sending in. The neat thing was once I logged back on, it reloaded all of the apps from the Google Play Store automatically. I just had to install air from Amazon and restore my files.

The only thing I find curious is the number of people having this very same issue. If your device is still under warranty, I'd suggest contacting ASUS Support and see about getting it sent in.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
... I went back and looked at my apps again more carefully and found that there was one app that was using a huge amount of data (this was the new BTsports app). I removed this app and my charging has improved massively. I also make sure I am logged out of Facebook as I noticed this used a lot of data too. The only pain is if I want to watch BT sports I have to download the app each time. I would rather do this than has slow charging issues. I hope this is helpful to anyone who is having issues.

One thing you might try looking at is going into Settings > Apps and force stop BTsports. Some apps seem to keep running in the background after closing them. Possibly forcing the app to stop would make it so you don't have to uninstall the app.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Asus_Fred:

Why does my Asus charger supplied with my Nexus 7 ( first generation) only charge at a rate of about 0.9 amps while the charger from the HP Touchpad will charge the N7 at 1.5 amps? My Blackberry playbook charger does only a little better than the Asus charger. I have seen other posts relating to slow charging thus I pose the question in this forum.

I use Battery Doctor and estimate rate from Battery Graph assuming nominal battery capacity of 4325 milliamp-hrs and taking the part of the curve below 85℅.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084