What do you use your Nexus 7 for?

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a nexus 7 around 1 month ago. I mostly just use it for email since my phone is more convenient for me. I was curious how you guys use yours. I was also thinking of giving my tablet to my mom since her dell laptop is dying and I really have no use for my tablet, but thought I would see what you guys use it for and maybe Ill use it more (just a guess) and then end up buying her a new one for herself thanks!

yami22

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I was asking my self do i need tablet ? before i bought it .

I am engineering and all my day full by tasking , so found my nexus 7 useful in checking email , taking note , navigation , reading book and watching movie in my free time specials on traveling ,and no matter how i try to replace it , i could not .

I think it depends on you live style !

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Agree, it's great for reading news and books. It's also nice to stream music since it doesn't drain battery like my phone does

Sent from my VS870 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I use my Nexus 7 for many things. Nice screen, light weight and can take the place of many things I normally carried a laptop around to do. Still won't replace a laptop but it's got great value IMO

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
well since I have an aged phone. It was more affordable for me to buy the cheap Nexus 7 than an expensive phone. It has been like a "phone" without the phone feature. I play games, check my facebook, emails and what not...Also for netflix and youtube and web searches.. since it has no expandable and "eh" speakers, i use my phone for music. Basically everything you would do in your phone except calling. I mean you can install google voice but I prefer my phone because my wifi is sometimes congested. I've installed tablet talk, which connects ur phone to your tablet via bluetooth or Wifi, use it to send messages. I've been spending more time in it than my computer. Since web searches are easier and faster.
uhh Oh.. Skype is easier on my tablet since its so portable...
I've installed a custom rom and kernel to improve its battery life due to my constant use.
I forgot to mention 7" of screen is awesome for viewing contents ! :)

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I browse the web, check and send the occasional email (mainly do that from my phone) , do the Facebook and Twitter thing, read the news, read books and comics, watch movies and play games on it. The N7 is my on the go and travel tablet due to its size and portability.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Surprised no one has said for private browsing on the internet.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at getting a Nexus 7 but I felt that it would be a little redundant to my Nexus 4. So I have decided to get a Chromebook. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mainly used for web browsing. It is great for taking with me on extended coffee breaks at work (much less conspicuous than taking my laptop).

I'm also a big reader and reading ebooks on it is great.

I don't game much but the gaming experience is great for most games (aside from the tilting games like doodle-jump)

Other than that it is a nice back up to my phone. I usually test software updates on the Nexus 7 first before putting them on the Gnex because I need my phone to work.

I kind of wish my Nexus 7 was good for a bit more, especially pdf reading (not so good at two column academic articles) and note taking with a stylus.

I honestly thought tablets were useless before buying the Nexus 7. I now understand why people like them but I still feel like they're being held back by the phone OS. Sometimes I open up my laptop instead of hopping on my Nexus 7 because even though I will probably end up doing the same thing (such as browsing this forum) with the laptop open there is at least the chance that I might get something productive done.

romiust

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I use mine for Facebook, reading books - having thousands of books at your dispose is so nice. YouTube videos, browsing the Web while on the couch. Also, news readers like flip board, my local newspaper, and other rss readers are so much nicer and faster (the android Central application on the nexus is so much nicer than the Web)

Posted via Android Central App

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Email, foreign internet radio stations, tides schedule, participating on forums via Taptalk, BBC and other news outlets, listening to local PBS radio, world weather, light note-taking/to-do-lists, some GPS use, old-school breakout game...
- for some reason, not that fond of reading on tablet. Maybe I need to tweak settings?
- love the dock!
I am a light sleeper, so I use my tablet a lot in the middle of the night!

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a nexus 7 around 1 month ago. I mostly just use it for email since my phone is more convenient for me. I was curious how you guys use yours. I was also thinking of giving my tablet to my mom since her dell laptop is dying and I really have no use for my tablet, but thought I would see what you guys use it for and maybe Ill use it more (just a guess) and then end up buying her a new one for herself thanks!
If you don't have a use for it, and your mom does, then it sounds like a no brainer.

I use my Nexus 7 for internet browsing, email, games, and ebooks mostly. Some other stuff like music and videos too, but primarily it's a window to the web. I got mine about 8 months before I had an Android phone, so that probably influences my usage patterns. When I'm at home and want to see something online, I'm much more likely to pick up my N7 than my N4, even though the latter has unlimited data at good speed. My personal laptop hardly gets turned on these days unless I'm working on a MS Word or Excel file locally or using the VPN to access work.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Surprised no one has said for private browsing on the internet.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.

:) Really, Fairclough.

"Private Browsing"
I'm sure that no one around here would do something like that.
These good folks are upstanding professionals.

"Private Browsing" indeed, I'm shocked.

Posted via Android Central App

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at getting a Nexus 7 but I felt that it would be a little redundant to my Nexus 4. So I have decided to get a Chromebook. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
A coworker has a Chromebook. They're pretty sweet. If the form factor is not too large for your intended use, I think you'll like it. A lot.

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So I ended up keeping my nexus 7. For now. I just recently found out that I am going on a trip for 1-2 weeks and my carrier has limited data on my phone. I'll update you guys during-after the trip

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz