Can I buy a pre-paid data plan, and put a sim card into my nexus 7?

richg99

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus model that allows data in addition to wifi. I have rare occasions for the need for data on the nexus. My ATT plan doesn't allow tethering with my smart phone.

So, can I buy some sort of US pre-paid data plan and occasionally use my Nexus 7 without wifi? I do not want to change from ATT.

thanks, Rich

p.s. any suggestions for a U S pre paid plan would also be appreciated.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus model that allows data in addition to wifi. I have rare occasions for the need for data on the nexus. My ATT plan doesn't allow tethering with my smart phone.

So, can I buy some sort of US pre-paid data plan and occasionally use my Nexus 7 without wifi? I do not want to change from ATT.

thanks, Rich

p.s. any suggestions for a U S pre paid plan would also be appreciated.

Sign up with AT&T for occasional monthly data service. Or you can add the ATT SIM and pay on contact. Same goes if you want a SIM from T-Mobile.

Nexus 7 can't use a phone SIM or at least the carriers won't allow it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Sign up with AT&T for occasional monthly data service. Or you can add the ATT SIM and pay on contact. Same goes if you want a SIM from T-Mobile.

Nexus 7 can't use a phone SIM or at least the carriers won't allow it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's correct. I've tried taking my T-Mobile sim out of my Nexus 4 and placing it in my Nexus 7 and it just prompts me to login to my T-Mobile account. Changing APNs won't work.

raisinbrannon

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile offers a prepaid data plan. I have tested it with iPad and it works fine so I would assume its the same principle for the Nexus 7. Tell them what you're wanting to do and it should be fairly easy. I think its $35 for 3.5 GB or $50 for 5 GB. If you buy the refills at Walmart, I think they last for 60 days instead of 30 but I am not entirely sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

They do. Been using them on my Nexus 7 since March. I originally ordered mine with an AT&T sim but they are horrible at my house and T-Mobile works great where I live.

On my iPad, I have AT&T and they are generally Ok on it. I even get 40Mbps downloads on LTE but LTE stops two blocks from my house and so does the AT&T signal so that's where T-Mobile steps in.

raisinbrannon

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Then why would you say so? Did you look at the T-Mobile link that specifically says 30 days?

I specifically said if you purchased refills from Walmart, they should last for 60 days instead of the standard 30 days. It's in the description for airtime at Walmart.com.

(Email Delivery) T-Mobile $50 Prepaid Mobile Broadband Pass: Cell Phones : Walmart.com

EDIT: Upon further reading, it states the 60 day refill is only valid for broadband devices purchased through Walmart. Moot point for my original post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz