Is your Nexus 7 slow? Should I wait for the new one?

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
There was/is (?) a particular issue with (some of?) the 16gb devices where when the free disk space gets down around 2-3gb, they slow down quite a bit. Not sure what the explanation was...something about how the two 8gb memory chips in them were set up...

[edit]: The other issue of course is the half baked multi user support in 4.2. Stay away from that!

Makes me glad to have the lowly 8 gig. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
filking762 --> Because the Apple ecosystem offers a more stable and repeatable experience?

My stock 32GB Nexus 7 is half full but experiences the slowdown. I did a factory reset and the problem did not go away. I have read that to help I need to root to be able to use some custom apps to "massage" the memory (TRIM-like). I don't want to root and Google/ASUS should offer a solution... oh wait... the solution is to buy the Nexus 7 ver. 2 (sigh). The only thing stopping me from getting an iPad are the apps I have in the Google ecosystem. However, if pressed for a choice between a N7v2 or an iPad Mini, I might jump ship... for the tablet! Note that I have been with Android since the G1 and I presently have a 32GB HTC ONE (which I prefer over the N4) with a 16GB Nexus 4 as a backup. I also have the G2x and many other top-tier Android phones including the SGS-II, SGS-III, HTC HD2 (loaded w/.Android), Vibrant, etc.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Cole R, by this time, you've probably made your choice and your purchase. Whichever one you chose, I hope it gives you what you want. I have a 32 GB Nexus 7, which I purchased from an eBay seller several months ago. I'm very happy with it and haven't noticed any slowdown. I think much of that would have to do with the strength of the wifi signal (and certainly the amount of memory...I have 2 GB on mine). I haven't done much research into the Note 8, but I'm sure it has many great features. The 8" screen may be a benefit over the Nexus 7, but I'm happy with the size of my screen. I, myself, will do some extended research on the Note 8 and the new Nexus 7. Although I'm happy with my device, I may opt to replace it with either of those two. All I can say is, you've made your informed choice. So live with it and be happy. Every device has some shortcomings/advantages compared to others. There is no perfect device in this industry, which seems to change almost monthly. Good luck and enjoy your choice.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Cole R, by this time, you've probably made your choice and your purchase. Whichever one you chose, I hope it gives you what you want. I have a 32 GB Nexus 7, which I purchased from an eBay seller several months ago. I'm very happy with it and haven't noticed any slowdown. I think much of that would have to do with the strength of the wifi signal (and certainly the amount of memory...I have 2 GB on mine). I haven't done much research into the Note 8, but I'm sure it has many great features. The 8" screen may be a benefit over the Nexus 7, but I'm happy with the size of my screen. I, myself, will do some extended research on the Note 8 and the new Nexus 7. Although I'm happy with my device, I may opt to replace it with either of those two. All I can say is, you've made your informed choice. So live with it and be happy. Every device has some shortcomings/advantages compared to others. There is no perfect device in this industry, which seems to change almost monthly. Good luck and enjoy your choice.

I agree. Even though above I have said that I would not have bought my Nexus 7 had I bought an iPad Mini first, it's true. I still use the Nexus 7 everyday. It's still a good tablet that just has a few annoyances that I've learned to live with. I also have some apps that I bought such as TomTom that I really don't want to buy again for my Mini so I tend to use my 7 a lot still for many things.

Cole R

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! I've decided to go with the Note 8. Thank you everyone for help!

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I am soooo surprised with the amount of weird responses from the people on here... Some people were even towards the end saying ' well, between the N7 or the iPad mini, I would choose the iPad' Don't you people read the OP question 1st....... The apple/iPad thing should not even have been mentioned in this post, esp for a question that didn't involve them..

My next point is even more confusing, because I thought the people in here were sort've experts.... Surely the speed slowdown depends on what you use it for and have running??? I have a n7 32 GB with (oops, must delete something) 2.62 GB free... It is running as fast as when I got it.... If you want all notifications on, all background prog running etc, everything will slow down. I would love to hear from someone whose n7 is slow and see the background tasks. I bet 80% running they never use.........

Weird forum.........

Posted via Android Central App

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am soooo surprised with the amount of weird responses from the people on here... Some people were even towards the end saying ' well, between the N7 or the iPad mini, I would choose the iPad' Don't you people read the OP question 1st....... The apple/iPad thing should not even have been mentioned in this post, esp for a question that didn't involve them..

My next point is even more confusing, because I thought the people in here were sort've experts.... Surely the speed slowdown depends on what you use it for and have running??? I have a n7 32 GB with (oops, must delete something) 2.62 GB free... It is running as fast as when I got it.... If you want all notifications on, all background prog running etc, everything will slow down. I would love to hear from someone whose n7 is slow and see the background tasks. I bet 80% running they never use.........

Weird forum.........

People in this thread aren't just making stuff up when they say their device isn't as fast as it should. In comparison to my Note II and iPad, the Nexus 7 gets beat quite a bit in real world tests. I time myself opening apps, websites, etc. The Nexus comes in last place pretty much every time.
The worst lag is trying to operate the device while an app is downloading in the background. I don't have this issue on my other devices. Another place where lag is found is scrolling through widgets. If you scroll too fast, 6 boxes will appear, then a second or two later, the app's widget icon would appear. As for me, I don't have a lot of process running in the background.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think given the price of the N7, some small faults can be overlooked IMO. When I consider the price of a Galaxy Tab or iPad to enter the tablet scene that's a heavy price to pay.

For me my N7 has done everything I wanted in a tablet so I couldn't be happier. Sure there is better but it comes at a much bigger price tag.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
People in this thread aren't just making stuff up when they say their device isn't as fast as it should. In comparison to my Note II and iPad, the Nexus 7 gets beat quite a bit in real world tests. I time myself opening apps, websites, etc. The Nexus comes in last place pretty much every time.
The worst lag is trying to operate the device while an app is downloading in the background. I don't have this issue on my other devices. Another place where lag is found is scrolling through widgets. If you scroll too fast, 6 boxes will appear, then a second or two later, the app's widget icon would appear. As for me, I don't have a lot of process running in the background.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

So you're saying that a device which costs twice as much as the Nexus outperforms it in some instances? How is that helpful?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying that a device which costs twice as much as the Nexus outperforms it in some instances? How is that helpful?

I don't recall saying because a device costs more it will perform better. Last year when people I knew would ask what's a good small tablet to purchase, I would always recommend the Nexus 7. The closest competitor was the Samsung 7" tablet. The Samsung tablet had a camera, but the Nexus 7 seemed to perform better. Now that other mid sized tablets have come out, they are performing better than the Nexus 7. Even though I have a Nexus 7, I'm not going to become a Nexus fanboy, and act like others haven't caught up to a device that's a year old.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You are seriously saying the iPad mini is big and bulky? Wow. Just wow.

And you are seriously saying that you can only have a good tablet experience if you have an iPad? Wow, just wow. And yes, for me, if I can't comfortably hold my tablet in one hand, then it is too big and bulky..

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
And you are seriously saying that you can only have a good tablet experience if you have an iPad? Wow, just wow. And yes, for me, if I can't comfortably hold my tablet in one hand, then it is too big and bulky..

Just pick up an iPad mini. Its not big and/or bulky.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

you've obviously never seen an iPad Mini of you think it's bulky.

Picture of my Nexus 7 and iPad Mini together.

xn51.jpg

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Another picture of an iPad Mini and Nexus 7 together. There is nothing clunky about the mini. The Mini is nearly half the thickness of a Nexus 7.

8fmb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC