Price RUMOR About New Nexus 7

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
that is the only place that I have seen that claim. I wouldn't put much stock in it since the price point is the biggest selling point for the Nexus 7. Google makes a ton of money from the app/music/video purchases once you buy the device, so they don't need to mark up the hardware sales.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
And how could you possibly compare a Nexus 7 to a Kindle?
Current generations, there is no comparison. But the revamped fire HD sounds competitive--especially if it turns out to be the only one of the Big 3 with a $200-ish tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The article mentions $100 price jump, but also states that the Nexus 7 2 will come with 32GB of storage. If those are the official specs, then it's only a $50 price jump. The current 32GB Nexus 7 was selling for $249, prior to the recent drop in price in order to sell off the current units. I paid $249 for mine last year. I would have definitely payed $50 more to get a rear camera, more RAM, HD screen, and faster processor. $299 sounds about right if most of the hardware is high end.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The article mentions $100 price jump, but also states that the Nexus 7 2 will come with 32GB of storage. If those are the official specs, then it's only a $50 price jump. The current 32GB Nexus 7 was selling for $249, prior to the recent drop in price in order to sell off the current units. I paid $249 for mine last year. I would have definitely payed $50 more to get a rear camera, more RAM, HD screen, and faster processor. $299 sounds about right if most of the hardware is high end.

But is it smart to abandon the $200 price point? I'm not a buyer at that $300 price.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
But is it smart to abandon the $200 price point? I'm not a buyer at that $300 price.

The price point for the Nexus 7 32GB model was never $199. Only the 8GB model and the 16GB models sold for that price. Due to complaints, they quickly died off the 8GB model for the 16GB model. Many users, including myself, said they wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 for a device with better specs. If it's sold for $299, the new Nexus will have specs better than the iPad Mini, and toe to toe with the rumored iPad Mini. It will still be cheaper than the Mini.
If $299 is not a favorable price point for you, then perhaps you may want to grab a current generation Nexus while it's on sale for a Hisense tablet.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The price point for the Nexus 7 32GB model was never $199. Only the 8GB model and the 16GB models sold for that price. Due to complaints, they quickly died off the 8GB model for the 16GB model. Many users, including myself, said they wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 for a device with better specs. If it's sold for $299, the new Nexus will have specs better than the iPad Mini, and toe to toe with the rumored iPad Mini. It will still be cheaper than the Mini.
If $299 is not a favorable price point for you, then perhaps you may want to grab a current generation Nexus while it's on sale for a Hisense tablet.

Just read that the rumored price for the 16 gig is $229. That, I would consider.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

But I think you miss the read between the lines here. Here at AC, you find mostly either the "power user," "geek user," or "educated," user... educated that they know AC exists and can come to the community to ask their questions and become better educated. What you don't see are the millions of owners, like RichardRight calls out, that have a defined price-point where the Nexus 7 was, as Goldie Locks stated... Just Right (pun intended in both directions). It is truly amazing what $100 does do to the marketing psyche. Nexus prices rise by $50... Apple drops the mini by $50... and now you have a different horse race all of a sudden. And once you introduce an Android user to an Apple product and introduce them to an iPhone 6 (the presumed lower cost model)... you risk the loss of the customer to the perceived stickiness of the other ecosystem.

It's a very complex concern... After all, it's only $50... If anyone here has ever purchased a boat for the first time, you know what I mean. "What a great deal I got on that Sea Ray 19BR!!!" Until you realize that your small V-6 truck can't pull the tandem trailer with the boat wet and fitted for skiing so you have to buy a new(er) truck just to the pull the boat and then you want to winter store it at home and don't have the space so you build a new garage and then realize the racks on your new truck don't fit under your garage door (the new truck is 6" higher than the old truck) so you have to replace the door and the header.... And all of a sudden, that great deal on that boat cost you $50,000 more than the actual boat.

Yeah, it goes like that... All for $50...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Current generations, there is no comparison. But the revamped fire HD sounds competitive--especially if it turns out to be the only one of the Big 3 with a $200-ish tablet.

If you buy the Kindle you can say goodbye to the Android app store. The Kindle runs a forked version of Android and you must get all of your apps from Amazon. The Kindle is a good e-reader that can do some tablet stuff well. It is not a full fledged tablet.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I doubt the nexus 7 would cost so much. Nexus products are usually cheap because Google makes money from your purchases in Google Play etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It's a very complex concern... After all, it's only $50... If anyone here has ever purchased a boat for the first time, you know what I mean. "What a great deal I got on that Sea Ray 19BR!!!" Until you realize that your small V-6 truck can't pull the tandem trailer with the boat wet and fitted for skiing so you have to buy a new(er) truck just to the pull the boat and then you want to winter store it at home and don't have the space so you build a new garage and then realize the racks on your new truck don't fit under your garage door (the new truck is 6" higher than the old truck) so you have to replace the door and the header.... And all of a sudden, that great deal on that boat cost you $50,000 more than the actual boat.
Oh yeah I think we can all relate to that :confused:

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you buy the Kindle you can say goodbye to the Android app store. The Kindle runs a forked version of Android and you must get all of your apps from Amazon. The Kindle is a good e-reader that can do some tablet stuff well. It is not a full fledged tablet.

I had the original Kindle Fire, and of course I find the Nexus 7 far superior. Best tablet I've ever had. But in the interest of fairness, I was never confined to just Amazon's app store. I also downloaded from SlideMe, 1Mobile, and one or two other app markets.

vaytan

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind paying a a little more. They need to improve the build quality big time. I would love to see stereo speakers ( Like the playbook , nexus 10 ) on the sides not this rear speaker BS. Keep it a 7 " screen for sure. The screen resolution is not bad on this , but after my first few things everything else is just gravy for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12