Nexus 7 as my first Android Device? (Still deciding whether to give it a go or not)

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Before I really didn't feel the need to get a tablet but for some strange reason I am craving to get one so that I wouldn't always be sitting on my computer even with just reading books/magazines or watching movies so I searched tablets and the Nexus 7 was recommended by one member of another forum. I looked it up and the specs were great for something just 200 bucks. I am also looking at that iPad Mini, though but the Nexus 7 has the edge for me. My dad has a Galaxy Tab 8.9 and I think the size of the tablet is PERFECT and I am an Apple user right now.

I just have some questions:
1. How is the battery life? - Yes I've read/watched reviews but I want first hand opinions from actual users :)
2. How is the performance? Does it slow down a lot? Do games freeze or lag a lot?
3. Is it too small?
4. Should I wait for the Nexus 7 2?

*as for the fourth question, I don't necessarily need a rear facing camera since I have my smartphone for that. I don't need 3g/4g since I can just turn on my personal hotspot through my iphone and just connect from there whenever I'm not at home. Plus, the price of the tablet in my country right now is pretty low and buying the new Nexus 7 inch tablet would just make me spend some extra bucks. (Not me answering my question)

Some basic questions from real Android users! Thank you in advance! :D

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Let's see...

1. My device usually lasts a full day of heavy use (about 15 hours) with the screen being active for 5 to 6 hours. I mainly use it for web browsing, note-taking, reading, videos and the occasional game. Heavy gaming will drain the battery faster of course.

2. Not in the four months since I bought it. Full HD videos play fine (I have the 32 GB model and the extra space comes in very handy). Browsing the web is a breeze if you use Next Browser or Dolphin instead of Google Chrome. Games are a mixed bag. Some of the really big titles by Gameloft are badly optimized for the Tegra 3 processor (N.O.V.A. 3 being one example), others run buttery smooth and look amazing. One rule of thumb is to look for games with a "THD" in their title as these are all Tegra enhanced. You can also install the Nvidia Tegra Zone app for more information.

3. Well, it depends. ;) How small is too small? The missing 1.9" (compared to your dad's Galaxy Tab) sound like nothing, but in reality the difference is very noticeable. The Nexus 7 is quite a bit smaller. Some webpages are hard to read without zooming in. As for ebooks and magazines, the size is perfect for reading. Gaming is nice too, due to the low weight of the Nexus. But you might miss some details visible on a bigger screen.

4. A resounding Yes! :D

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Let's see...

1. My device usually lasts a full day of heavy use (about 15 hours) with the screen being active for 5 to 6 hours. I mainly use it for web browsing, note-taking, reading, videos and the occasional game. Heavy gaming will drain the battery faster of course.

2. Not in the four months since I bought it. Full HD videos play fine (I have the 32 GB model and the extra space comes in very handy). Browsing the web is a breeze if you use Next Browser or Dolphin instead of Google Chrome. Games are a mixed bag. Some of the really big titles by Gameloft are badly optimized for the Tegra 3 processor (N.O.V.A. 3 being one example), others run buttery smooth and look amazing. One rule of thumb is to look for games with a "THD" in their title as these are all Tegra enhanced. You can also install the Nvidia Tegra Zone app for more information.

3. Well, it depends. ;) How small is too small? The missing 1.9" (compared to your dad's Galaxy Tab) sound like nothing, but in reality the difference is very noticeable. The Nexus 7 is quite a bit smaller. Some webpages are hard to read without zooming in. As for ebooks and magazines, the size is perfect for reading. Gaming is nice too, due to the low weight of the Nexus. But you might miss some details visible on a bigger screen.

4. A resounding Yes! :D

Thank you! Looks like I'm getting myself a Nexus 7. No announcements about the Nexus 7 2 so I probably should just get the current model, though. I'm getting it next week. :D

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Glad to be helpful. :)
Rumour has it the new Nexus will be out this month. But nothing definite yet. It will, however, sport a better screen and a better cpu.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Looks like I'm getting myself a Nexus 7. No announcements about the Nexus 7 2 so I probably should just get the current model, though. I'm getting it next week. :D

I am holding out on getting the Note 8 until I see the Nexus 7 refresh specs and pricing. From what I am seeing now, most of the features I want in a Note 8 will work with a stylus and a couple apps in the Nexus 7.

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Glad to be helpful. :)
Rumour has it the new Nexus will be out this month. But nothing definite yet. It will, however, sport a better screen and a better cpu.

I've heard. But the price of the current generation is really good. I don't have much money to spare and the new model would probably cost a little more. I need an external HD (because my laptop looks like it's reaching it's age and I'm giving it another year so I need to backup my files just in case) so I need the couple of bucks. :( But do you think the things I do are fine with the current one?

I am holding out on getting the Note 8 until I see the Nexus 7 refresh specs and pricing. From what I am seeing now, most of the features I want in a Note 8 will work with a stylus and a couple apps in the Nexus 7.

The Note 8 is stellar! I really want it but it's a little bit expensive for my very tight budget.

Another (noob) question, will the apps compatible with my dad's Galaxy tab work on the Nexus 7 as well?

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
But do you think the things I do are fine with the current one?
Definitely. Just don't expect each and every game to run super smooth (but many still do). It will probably take some time to adjust to the smaller screen coming from a Galaxy Tab. Just keep in mind that it's a budget tablet after all...

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I've heard. But the price of the current generation is really good. I don't have much money to spare and the new model would probably cost a little more. I need an external HD (because my laptop looks like it's reaching it's age and I'm giving it another year so I need to backup my files just in case) so I need the couple of bucks. :( But do you think the things I do are fine with the current one?

The Note 8 is stellar! I really want it but it's a little bit expensive for my very tight budget.

Another (noob) question, will the apps compatible with my dad's Galaxy tab work on the Nexus 7 as well?

Apps should run well, but if you can hold out for a little longer, I would wait on that refresh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan