anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What do you use for your cloud storage or do you not use cloud storage at all. If you do or don't why? Also what do you store in the cloud. I am looking at a good storage solution similar to icloud but for my android phone and nexus 7. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT881 using AC Forums mobile app

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I use both Google Drive and Drop Box. I've used Norton's but prefer those due to being faster & better sharing options.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
if you have a gmail id you already have cloud storage. Google Drive,Google photos,gmail,books,music,magazine etc.

icloud is just email,documents,calender and less than 5Gb of storage

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread but does Google + no longer have the option to selectively upload manually? I don't care for the auto-update feature and have it disabled. I'd like to be able to use it for "pick & choose" storage but cannot seem to find any way to do it and the posted instructions no longer apply.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread but does Google + no longer have the option to selectively upload manually? I don't care for the auto-update feature and have it disabled. I'd like to be able to use it for "pick & choose" storage but cannot seem to find any way to do it and the posted instructions no longer apply.

I wanted to know this as well lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

I don't think you can selectively chose anymore. That's 1 reason why I am looking for alternatives. But I have found a great one! Its copy. Copy.com

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can selectively chose anymore. That's 1 reason why I am looking for alternatives. But I have found a great one! Its copy. Copy.com

Copy is very nice. I still like Dropbox & Drive but dumped Norton for Copy - similar but faster, great storage & more share options. Thanks.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What do you use for your cloud storage or do you not use cloud storage at all. If you do or don't why? Also what do you store in the cloud. I am looking at a good storage solution similar to icloud but for my android phone and nexus 7. Thanks in advance!

There is nothing seriously similar to SkyDrive on Windows Phone 8/Windows 8.1 or iCloud on iOS/OSX for Android. Google would have to do the necessary plumbing for their services to hook in those ways into Drive, and they've already started - they're just very slow at it.

Dropbox would not really be able to replicate that. Share to Dropbox isn't even comparable to the level of integration Microsoft/Apple Cloud Services/Storage has on their operating systems.

If you mean *just* cloud storage, then any would work. Google Drive is the most transparent and integrated choice for an Android user, so unless you have some specific reasons to go with another I'd just use that. Nothing else integrates as well with Google's Services. The downside is that its integration across the mobile platform is quite weak - probably owing some blame to the way in which Android is developed (they don't want their IP littered throughout F/OSS code to a point where it becomes nearly unusable when taken out).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
if you have a gmail id you already have cloud storage. Google Drive,Google photos,gmail,books,music,magazine etc.

icloud is just email,documents,calender and less than 5Gb of storage

iCloud is not like Google Drive, where most use comes from the user putting stuff there as if it was a hard drive. iCloud is designed to be a service-enabler (PIM, Photo Stream, App Store, iTunes, etc. all are backed by iCloud now) and repository for applications (i.e. WhatsApp just implemented the ability to back up your messages to iCloud). It works in the background - similar to SkyDrive on Windows Phone/Windows 8 except SkyDrive also allows you to directly place and manipulate files there yourself (best of both worlds).

Also, a lot of the stuff that is stored from stock iOS apps to iCloud doesn't count against your quota, so 5GB actually can go a long way to a non-power user, BTW.

iCloud works well on iOS because Apple's developers tend to follow their lead. It will be quite a while before you can buy an Android phone which integrates the services this way, or even find a decent set of high quality android apps that all use the same cloud storage service similarly to the WP8/iOS stock apps.

If that's the kind of integration the OP is looking for, he won't find it cause it doesn't exist on this platform - yet. There are some use cases that "Share" simply doesn't address (some = many in this case).

Google IS moving in this direction, albeit slowly - as I stated. You can already see it happening with Drive/G+ integration, Migration to Google+ Photos and Hangouts using Google+ Photos as a back-end for photo sharing. The strategy is different, but they are trying to achieve similar results. It will always be a poorer user experience, IMO, until they actually bake the services into the core OS like the others do, but that can be a problem given how Android is developed (plus they want to keep some APIs super secret/exclusive for the foreseeable future).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze