Nexus 7 Charging Sporadically Even When Plugged In

Fidgie

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I need some help!

So, I have a Nexus 7 I got last Christmas. At first, everything was fine, then a terrible accident occurred. A few of months ago, it fell from my knee to the carpet, and it landed directly on the plugged-in USB. The charging port was bent open, and of course would not hold the cable in correctly in order to charge. I made due with carefully supporting the cable in order to charge it until I received a salvaged i/o assembly cable and replaced my bent one. It seemed to be working great.

Recently, though, I've been having an issue with it not charging once again. Basically, it seems to randomly lose and regain the charging connection. The cable seems to be plugged in securely, and yet, though it said it was charging when I plugged it in, it will suddenly turn on the screen and say it isn't. After a moment, it will sometimes turn on the screen again to show me that it has started charging once again. However, it obviously doesn't always do this. It's not unusual (very usual, in fact) for me to check the battery level after leaving it plugged in for a few hours and discover that it has gone DOWN (today, I plugged it in at 21% in the late afternoon, and this evening I checked it to find it read 9%) or remained disappointingly at the same percentage.

I was using random chargers, but when I realized they would not work, I ordered a replacement ASUS Nexus 7 charger. This one has not improved the situation, except to make me feel like I've made an effort. I have tried gently pushing the cable one direction or the other to see if it is a bad connection on the outside somewhere (since that was my issue when I bent the port), but it doesn't seem to be related to that.

My concern is that I may have somehow dinged up something else besides the i/o assembly cable, or else the continual low battery and lack of efficient charging may have somehow confused the battery (I've seen a few cases recommending battery recalibration, but not pertaining to anything similar to my problem).

Anyone heard of anything like this, or have any idea what could be? I'm reasonably handy and could replace some hardware if I knew which part, and am willing to try any software type issues if they seem relevant.

Thanks!

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the issue with it not turning on. Opened the back and checked the battery and the connection was loose. Reconnected and it's all good now.

A loose battery connection might also be your issue.

It is very easy to open. I used a pocket knife to get it started and replaced the knife with a butter knife when I had the opening large enough to get the butter knife in.

Steve

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and it is not the loose battery cable. I've already done one rma and am on my second. Getting really frustrated, as we now have 4 total Nexus' in the house...

Posted via Android Central App

Fidgie

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, loose battery/cable doesn't seem to be my issue. :( Seemed to help for a bit, but poor Nexus has gone slowly dead and unresponsive again.

Thinking of replacing battery entirely. At this point, actually just thinking of buying a Nexus with a busted screen for salvage parts since it looks like it's only a bit more than getting just the battery!

amsparky, if I happen to stumble upon a fix, I'll pass it along. I am also feeling pretty frustrated. It's becoming an obsession to just figure out what's going on!