No more OFFLINE maps on Google Maps

Rindog

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The latest update on Google maps has a revamped UI and there does not seem to be any offline maps any longer. This is a bad change for a wifi only Nexus 7. It makes the Nexus 7 pretty useless for using as a driving GPS. I had used the offline maps in areas that had no cell service never mind wifi. Google seems to be aiming to make it impossible to use a device without wifi or cell service. I hope enough people complain that they bring back offline maps.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
FYI its been addressed and has been fixed by Google.
The latest update on Google maps has a revamped UI and there does not seem to be any offline maps any longer. This is a bad change for a wifi only Nexus 7. It makes the Nexus 7 pretty useless for using as a driving GPS. I had used the offline maps in areas that had no cell service never mind wifi. Google seems to be aiming to make it impossible to use a device without wifi or cell service. I hope enough people complain that they bring back offline maps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

sptrout

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
As Moosc said, this issue was fixed just after the new release when the howling started. However, you may want to also consider Co-Pilot Live (CoPilot Live GPS Navigation for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile and Laptop) in addition to, or instead of Google Maps. I use this program on both my Nexus 7 and Motorola RAZAR HD. You download the maps you need to your device over wifi then you do not need cell coverage at all. Works very well, including turn-by-turn instructions. If you want verbal instructions that include actual street names then you do need cell coverage (N/A to my wifi only Nexus), but that takes very little of your data plan. Just a second option.......

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Even with all the explanations from Google, I am still disappointed with this update.
They took away three features that I use regularly (latitude, offline maps, distance measure) and then added two of them back in a less appealing way. At least offline maps is back, but the latitude function is rerouted through Google+ with less information--No timestamp. And has anyone else noticed that the Google+ locations map is the still the version 6 Google map while the new Google Maps version 7 map looks like it was designed by Apple?

The measure function that was in the labs is apparently never to return. If I wanted less features, I would be using an iPhone.

I understand that Google has very specific reasons for doing what they did with maps, but it is rather telling that they had to issue a new update 24 hours after the version 7.0.0 update to fix the offline maps access and add a link explaining to their users where the hell latitude went.
/rant

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't received the update yet.

How is the performance change? Does it seem smoother with less time to render?

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled updates and am back at 6.14 which is way better than the upgrade. Goog quickly came out with a "fix" but previous ver better.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings apps then go to the maps app and uninstall the updates to go back to the last one.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all. I was just preparing to use my Nexus 7 for a trip and this thread was an education. I was at 7.0.1 with maps. I decided to try the free version of Copilot based on sptrout's recommendation. I have the storage room and for now I think I like the maps stored in the Nexus. I also went back to 6.14 for Google maps. I'll play around a little and see what I like.

rojatwitt

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
FYI its been addressed and has been fixed by Google.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

are you being paid by google to say this ?? the latest v. 7 is crap and has lots of features removed like download and thanks to Mellimel22 for pointing out how to revert...thats a life saver....I will also look into moving away from google crap for all my needs...they have become more evil than M$ of late

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair