"Upgrade" to Nexus7?

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Motorola Xoom. I am ready to upgrade to a tablet with more speed and Ram. With the recent rumors of the new Nexus7 coming out soon, I am considering selling the Xoom to get the next Nexus7. I have a question for those that have used both a 10" and 7" tablet. I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed moving down to 7" from the 10". Just looking for your opinions, I realize your thoughts will differ from mine. I just haven't used a 7" before.
Thanks,
Chad

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the Asus TF300 10" and went down to the N7. While I sometimes would want more screen area, I really like holding the 7" more and it is much more portable.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think you should have much trouble getting used to a seven inch. It will be different, but I love the size and portability of a smaller device more than a large tablet. I don't think I could ever go back to a ten inch after spending the last year with my 7 inch galaxy tab. It is the perfect size to go in my pocket ( depends on size of pockets) and is very easy to hold in one hand. It definitely will be different than a big one, but after a few days it should feel great to use it.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
7 inches feels a lot more comfortable in the hand and overall if you are using your tablet for media consumption. The 10 inch tablets are better for work productivity. I have the N7 and I really like it. Can't beat the price either.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a Nook Color that I put Jelly Bean on. Size was perfect but I wanted something else and went with a Nexus 10. I am happy with it but I do not usually take it with me on my daily commute. My wife has a Nook Color as well and does take hers. I will be getting the new Nexus 7 for her birthday next month. I think she will prefer it over my 10" tablet for every day use.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I moved from a 10" iPad to the N7. I like the weight and its more comfortable in the hand - even over the obvious move for me to go with iPad Mini - and I'm doing a majority of the stuff I did on the 10". Its one weakness is any sort of business stuff where a larger screen when the virtual keyboard eats into the real estate, but otherwise, the footprint of the 7 is that of a really convenient paperback.

Last edited:

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I moved from a 10" HP Touchpad to the N7. I prefer the portability and the lightweight of a 7" tablet, to me the 7-8" size is perfect. No regrets whatsoever.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using my PalmPad (HP TouchPad) a few times a week and take it with me most of the time.

However, my phone has a 5 inch display, so whenever I need something smaller then 10" my phone is right there!

I just feel a lot better using my PalmPad when I want something smaller then a laptop but bigger then a phone.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just realize reading full page magazines like the Amazon app supports now and Play magazines support is virtually impossible on a 7". Had a nexus 7 but switched to a 10" Samsung so that I could read magazines and use it for work.

10" is also better for full versions of websites since they are designed for larger PC monitors. Text when web browsing on a 7" usually required pinch to zoom for me, which killed the fluidity of the experience.

Posted via Android Central App

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just realize reading full page magazines like the Amazon app supports now and Play magazines support is virtually impossible on a 7". Had a nexus 7 but switched to a 10" Samsung so that I could read magazines and use it for work.

10" is also better for full versions of websites since they are designed for larger PC monitors. Text when web browsing on a 7" usually required pinch to zoom for me, which killed the fluidity of the experience.

Yes, I forgot to mention that magazines are far more pleasant on the 10" Nexus. Websites are less a concern to me.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My 3rd gen iPad stays home most of the time unless there's a specific reason I need to take it with me. If I'm traveling or at work, the Nexus 7 is what I bring along. For me, the 7" - 8" tablet is the perfect compromise between portability and ease of use - it's more comfortable to use than a smartphone, and doesn't take up as much room and is easier to hold than a full sized tablet.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Your magazine issue on a 7 inch tablet is a moot point for me. I always use the view text version of any magazine that I read. The 7 inch tablet seems to be the perfect size for reading. I can wield it with one hand comfortably. I also view web pages in their mobile form, for the same reason I like the text only version of magazines. The content is put front and center. Plus, I think that the smaller sized tablet makes it easier to play games and its more portable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using my PalmPad (HP TouchPad) a few times a week and take it with me most of the time.

However, my phone has a 5 inch display, so whenever I need something smaller then 10" my phone is right there!

I just feel a lot better using my PalmPad when I want something smaller then a laptop but bigger then a phone.

Do you work for Apple or are you an associate in Hoi Hon to be able to use an Apple Phone 5"! That not suppose to come out for another year - 2014!

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you work for Apple or are you an associate in Hoi Hon to be able to use an Apple Phone 5"! That not suppose to come out for another year - 2014!

You do realize the iPhone 5 is already out, and this user is talking about their Galaxy S4.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

How in God's name did you come up with your answer??? :confused::eek::what: :rolleyes:

Why would I talk about apple products?

I clearly mentioned my PalmPad and on my signature you are able to see I have the Galaxy S4, which has a 5 inch display!
:banghead:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad