Chromecast

waterman54

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm just thinking about whether or not i would use chromecast. I already have an Xbox so i can play youtube clips and Netflix on that. So I cant really see how it would benefit me?? Interested to know what other people think.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a PS3 and one of the reasons i bought it was to watch Youtube/iPlayer etc a bit expensive just for that so i think i may sell it and get the chromecast, cheaper, lighter and discreet. I can just stick my TV on the wall and i won't need a stand etc save on space too.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm just thinking about whether or not i would use chromecast. I already have an Xbox so i can play youtube clips and Netflix on that. So I cant really see how it would benefit me?? Interested to know what other people think.

I have PS3 and all of what you mentioned works from it too but its too limited.
again PS3 & TV has to be ON all the time This seems very simple can search on any of my device and send it to chromecast.

with PS3 I have to do all of it on the device itself. have you tried using web browser on PS3 or xbox? they are horrible.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My PS3 is suffering an overheating issue, so I'm looking at my options. This and a bluray player seem a good combination. Just need to find out if chromecast will work with an hdmi switch. My tv only has one hdmi...

I have PS3 and all of what you mentioned works from it too but its too limited.
again PS3 & TV has to be ON all the time This seems very simple can search on any of my device and send it to chromecast.

with PS3 I have to do all of it on the device itself. have you tried using web browser on PS3 or xbox? they are horrible.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I definitely want one, and at $35 it seems like a good deal.
I wish it was the wireless miracast dongle that seems to be an unexpected holy grail.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I grabbed one at my local Best Buy literally minutes after they pulled the cases off the truck. For $35, I feel it's a good investment although it is limited for the time being. Part of it may also be that the only computer I've tried it with so far is an older 2007-era Vista model (and I get the impression Chromecast was designed for Win7 and above). Also, I have the entry-level LinkSys WiFi router, so it's not really certified for HD streaming.

First, the cons:

1. Very laggy performance when "casting" from my Vista desktop's Chrome browser. Hulu Plus is unwatchable. YouTube and Netflix fare better.
2. Minimal Android app support thus far (only Netflix, Play Movies/TV, Play Music YouTube currently work).
3. No "casting" support for Chrome Mobile yet

Now the pros:

1. Unbelievably simple set-up and pairing. Took less than 5 minutes using the new official Chromecast app on my Galaxy S4. I've had Bluetooth devices that were a bigger hassle to pair than the Chromecast.
2. Streaming Netflix, Play services, YouTube from my S4 and my Nexus 7 were incredibly fluid, easy to navigate.
3. You can initiate a stream and then do other stuff on your device without interrupting the "casting". Simply pull down the notification shade, and there is an actionable Ongoing Notification for the stream.

The fourth "pro" is the three free months of Netflix, but news just broke over at droid-life.com that Google is axing that promotion because it was essentially costing them way too much due to "insane demand". Best Buy did e-mail me my discount code already, and it did work so early adopters may luck out.

Yes, there are some bugs in the system, but I feel they can be easily remedied with future software updates. Also, bear in mind that these are just hitting the market. In fact, are they even supposed to be in wide circulation now? Was there a release date given? Possibly next Tuesday with the N7 (2nd generation)? Keeping that in mind, it's possible that there are Chrome browser and/or app updates coming in the next few days that will add Chromecast support.

For example, Pandora was named as one of the programs supported "out of the box", but there hasn't been an update released that allows this.

In the end though, it is only $35...hardly a huge investment and worth taking a risk on it.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Quick update:

Apparently, Google Play Music support extends only to music from All Access or to your uploaded library. I tried to play stuff from my personal MP3 collection that is on my microSD card, and Play Music prompted an error that sideloaded tracks cannot be remotely played.

Hopefully, they lift that restriction soon or allow third-party apps to do it (e.g. PlayerPro, PowerAmp, etc.)

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Any experiences with how Chromecast works as a universal remote control?

What do you mean by "universal"? It can't control your TV or anything like that.

But if you mean as a remote control for specific apps like Netflix, then it's so-so.

The Netflix app on my Galaxy S4 tends to get buggy when I'm using the "controller" mode (i.e. - the screen fragments, buttons go out of alignment and don't necessarily work right). I have Chromecast plugged into the HDMI output on my surround sound receiver, so I still use the sound system's remote for volume. YouTube's remote control functions work much better. Haven't really tried Play Movies/TV, and I really didn't use Play Music because Chromecast won't stream owned MP3s that are stored on my SD card.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Quick update:

Apparently, Google Play Music support extends only to music from All Access or to your uploaded library. I tried to play stuff from my personal MP3 collection that is on my microSD card, and Play Music prompted an error that sideloaded tracks cannot be remotely played.

Hopefully, they lift that restriction soon or allow third-party apps to do it (e.g. PlayerPro, PowerAmp, etc.)

Actually now that I think about it the Chromecast is pulling stuff directly from the cloud, and not the device itself. So I dont know if you will ever be able to stream media that is local on the device. Hopefully though, it be a nice feature.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
While watching a YouTube video or Netflix, are you able to fast forward and rewind throughout the video? All of the video reviews I've seen so far didn't mention this feature.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually now that I think about it the Chromecast is pulling stuff directly from the cloud, and not the device itself. So I dont know if you will ever be able to stream media that is local on the device. Hopefully though, it be a nice feature.

Where did you read that? I don't remember seeing it in any of the articles. If that is the case, then you're likely correct about sideloaded music. Also, if this is the case, then perhaps there won't be a huge burden on the batteries. I know one of my concerns is that I'd run down my S4 or N7 battery by using them to cast Netflix or YouTube to the TV. I'll have to try running a 30 minute show and see if the battery shows heavier usage.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Where did you read that? I don't remember seeing it in any of the articles. If that is the case, then you're likely correct about sideloaded music. Also, if this is the case, then perhaps there won't be a huge burden on the batteries. I know one of my concerns is that I'd run down my S4 or N7 battery by using them to cast Netflix or YouTube to the TV. I'll have to try running a 30 minute show and see if the battery shows heavier usage.

I believe it was in the presentation maybe. I got the idea it was the same idea as the Nexus Q and your phone/tablet controls whats happening on the tv through the google services.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The Chromecast does not stream from your N7 (1st Gen), phone or computer it streams content only from the Cloud. Your 1st Gen N7 has a single channel WiFi doesn't have the bandwidth to stream video. That is why my Miracast/WiDi attached to my HDTV doesn't work with my N7 or even a 6 month old Laptop that cost $600 since it has a single channel WiFi. The Chromecast has dual channel Wi-Fi and it can receive streaming video. The only current Nexus device that has the ability to stream video via Miracast is the Nexus 4 phone to your TV.

I have Comcast cable services and just got a letter from them that I have to buy a new modem that supports DOCSIS 3.0 since my 6 year old modem won't be supported anymore. I just ordered DOCSIS 3.0 Modem yesterday that supports 8 channels. I also have to replace my wireless router and when my new Chromecast get here I think I will have a good backbone to stream quality video directly to the Chromecast from the Cloud. However my old Nexus 7 will never be more than a remote control to control that Chromecast. I expect new tablets with better Wi-Fi will someday allow Chromecast to directly stream from your tablet or phone but that isn't how it works today. A lot of people that buy the Chromecast are going to find out that video streaming to a large screen HDTV requires a very good internet connection but will blame it on Chromecast when it is really a poor internet service issue.

The Google Chromecast presentation did show your personal pictures from your phone that the Chromecast could display on your HDTV. I don't remember if they said that was in Beta testing put there is going to be some way to get at least some personal content from your personal Cloud storage like your pictures to stream to the Chromecast.

Last edited:

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Quick update:

My old fashion Roku box let's me stream, music, video and, Photos, from my phone and Sero 7 Pro tablet.
Either with Roku channels , or using the Juice app.
There is also a Roku remote app for Android.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "universal"? It can't control your TV or anything like that.

But if you mean as a remote control for specific apps like Netflix, then it's so-so.

The Netflix app on my Galaxy S4 tends to get buggy when I'm using the "controller" mode (i.e. - the screen fragments, buttons go out of alignment and don't necessarily work right). I have Chromecast plugged into the HDMI output on my surround sound receiver, so I still use the sound system's remote for volume. YouTube's remote control functions work much better. Haven't really tried Play Movies/TV, and I really didn't use Play Music because Chromecast won't stream owned MP3s that are stored on my SD card.

I think I the idea from this line on the chromecast website:
control playback, and adjust volume using your device.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Well yes, you can do those things. I guess I just wouldn't consider it a universal remote. In fact, I find it much easier to simply keep using my existing remote to control volume.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude