I'm still a little unclear so maybe one of you experts has the answer. Can I stream movies and tv shows from Android apps on my n7 such as TV Portal and MovieTube? If not I might be better off with HDMI out on the new 7. I already have jailbroken Apple Tv and Roku that gets so much.
    07-26-2013 11:22 AM
    Get a Chromecast. You'll be able to do all that and more

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-26-2013 11:56 AM
    With supported apps of course

07-26-2013 11:57 AM
    In other words the apps i mentioned in my original posting wont work unless the app designers change the apps to make them supported??? I ordered the device but i already get netflix, youtube etc etc and much much more on my jailbroken apple tv and my roku. If i cant get anything beyond like the ones i mentioned in my posting i think the new device wont offer me any pluses and i might be better off with hdmi to get EVERYTHING that is on my N72.

With supported apps of course

07-26-2013 12:30 PM
    Then you should send a request to the developers of those apps and ask them to support Chromecast in their app.

07-26-2013 12:39 PM
    Obviously Google is going to develop more supported content resources, but right now it's pretty limited. I still haven't seen any definitive answers as to whether the device will work when plugged into an HDMI A/V receiver. I also have a Roku XS and use the Plex server channel to watch full HD You Tube and other videos and it works flawlessly. Right now I don't see any advantage in Chromecast other than accessing Chrome. I also don't have to have a laptop or my GS3 running to stream media.. I'm going to wait and see how much content becomes available and if it will stream 5.1 surround via my receiver.
    07-26-2013 01:20 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree. I just don't see chromecast at this point doing anything better than all the programming i get on my jailbroken apple tv and roku. I cancelled my order on amazon and will wait and watch to see the progress of chromecast in coming weeks. If I buy the n72, which I probably will do, I'll go for the hdmi device since there are a number of movie and tv apps not available on my other devices that are on the Nexus and I i will access them via hdmi. since I have the nexus 1, with some paid apps, do i have to pay again or can i just download them again for free from the playstore store?
    07-26-2013 02:36 PM
    I'm still a little unclear so maybe one of you experts has the answer. Can I stream movies and tv shows from Android apps on my n7 such as TV Portal and MovieTube? If not I might be better off with HDMI out on the new 7. I already have jailbroken Apple Tv and Roku that gets so much.
    No the Chromecast does not stream ANY content from your N7 to your HDTV. Your N7, Phone or Windows or Apple Mac is just a remote control to stream content from the Cloud on supported Apps to your HDTV. The Playstore video if you purchased or rented it will work along with Playstore music with Chromecast. Chromecast requires all content to be in the Cloud but they showed a capability for your personal pictures on the Goggle Chromecast event to be displayed on your HDTV.

The current N7 (Gen 1) is a single channel Wi-Fi that doesn't have the ability to support Miracast that required Dual Wi-Fi to stream video. However I have read the new N7 does have a dual channel Wi-Fi so there is a chances it will support Miracast streaming to a Miracast device connected to your HDTV. I have already wasted $60 buying a Miracast/WiDi device (ptv3000) and I am going to wait to find out if the new N7 Gen 2 supports Miracast. At this time only the Nexus 4 phone supports Miracast but since the new N7 has dual Wi-Fi there is a chance it could at some point support Miracast. That said at some point content from the Gen 2 N7 and maybe Nexus 4 since they have dual channel Wi-Fi may at some future point in time may support the Chromecast for direct steaming but that hasn't been announced.

Chromecast is a Roku type of device that streams some content from the Cloud to your HDTV. Your Tablet, Phone or Laptop is only the Remote Control at this point with a simple button interface on the App to enable streaming from the Cloud to your HDTV. Let's say the "Watch ESPN" app that I have Signed into my authorized account at some point gets Chromecast support, then with a simple touch from my N7 that is Authorized by "Watch ESPN" App will stream the football game from ESPN's Cloud to my HDTV.

Google no longer allows TV Portal to be distributed from Playstore.
    07-26-2013 11:28 PM
    I'm confused about the Crome Browser 'mirroring' capability. They say it can mirror contend directly from any Chrome Browser Tab. So, can I mirror chrome tabs from my Nexus 7? If so, do I need to install an extension?
    07-28-2013 09:39 AM
    I'm confused about the Crome Browser 'mirroring' capability. They say it can mirror contend directly from any Chrome Browser Tab. So, can I mirror chrome tabs from my Nexus 7? If so, do I need to install an extension?
    Many people already have Chromecast on their forum here that will have better answers... http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/
    07-28-2013 10:45 AM