I want to get a tablet for my wife, she wants a 9 to 10 inch, but doesn't want to spend too much. Would a new 2012 N7 be worth the price, or is there a larger tab that is better suited? She is thinking the Nook HD+ I think it is called, since it is 9 inches and only about 150. What do you think?
    07-30-2013 09:03 AM
    You have to weight your pros and cons. What exactly would fit your wife better in terms of her usage habits. I would figure that out first and that should help narrow things down better. Overall you wouldn't go wrong with the 2012 N7, its a great device still and will be supported by Google in updates for some time to come.
    07-30-2013 09:42 AM
    I was pretty much on the same predicament a few days ago. But i was going to buy a used 10" tablet something like the TF300. However, the idea of having a pure android experience, and have better/priority access to google update made me go for the N7. I just haven't decided if i will be getting the new one or old yet. I will probably end up getting the 2013 model sicne i have some best buy gift cards that i can use to lower my out of pocket cost.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by clearance? At a store or online new? have you found any good deals on it?
    07-30-2013 10:10 AM
    I have a 2012 Nexus 7 but if I was buying a new table it would be the new 2013 Nexus 7. Just go to Google News tab and type in Nexus 7 and you will see tons of articles now that say the new N7 is better than the Apple iPad Mini by a lot and $100 cheaper. I talked a friend into buying the new N7 as her first Tablet and she loves it. A year ago after ordered the N7 I was worried that the smaller 7" screen would not make me happy since I wanted a 10" screen. I was wrong it took me about two days with the N7 till I found out it's 7" screen was big enough to meet my needs.

Don't know much about the Kindle but no one is claiming it is better than the new 2013 Nexus 7 that is today's King of the Tablets. If she really wants a 10" Tablet the Nexus 10 (made by Samsung) new updated version should hit the stores in late October.
    07-30-2013 10:45 AM
    I would think it might depend on what sort of a 'clearance price' you're looking at, too. Certainly the 2012 N7 has more than enough horsepower to be an e-reader, media player and internet browser if that's what your wife will essentially be using it for - without the layers of additional (and often promotional) bumpf 3rd Party e-readers load on. Also, the N7 will run the most recent OS and that may be a consideration too, if you're thinking long term.

All that said, if price is the main consideration and you don't mind a 'slower' machine than the N7 to do these basic tasks, you could probably take a look at the ASUS MemoPad. ASUS builds the N7 for Google and this is their own offering. The current model has been around since, I think, March and I've seen it on sale recently for around $120.
    07-30-2013 11:09 AM
    If she wants the tablet to read magazines, then she should get a bigger tablet. Its difficult to read magazines on this tablet... Otherwise, its great for everything else. Especially if its at half the price of the new nexus

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    07-30-2013 11:19 AM
    I can get the 32gig N7 from staples for 199 - 30 coupon - 25 gift card = $145 or pick up the nook for 150. She isn't into the tech as much as I am, but she would want to: read books/magazines, play some games, surf web, Facebook, Pintrest, making some lists (shopping, chores, to-do, etc; apps we know are in Google Play), Netflix/Hulu, prob not much more. She won't get any of the pure android os stuff and doesn't notice most of the upgrades anyway so those aren't really issues.

Between the two, it sounds like we've narrowed it down to screen size/resolution vs ... Well the N7.

I'll look into the ones that have been recommended. Thanks for your help so far!
    07-30-2013 04:29 PM
    Also, the 2012 Nexus 7 is incredibly fast and smooth after the 4.3 update. I will look at the new version, but I'm really happy with the original right now.
    07-30-2013 05:15 PM
    I have a 8.9 Kindle & N7(2012). The software in the Kindle ruins it for me, but you can buy the large Nook & root it w/o a problem. That's what I'd do if I were you. the 9" Nook for $179 is the best deal right now. That said the N7 (2012) with 4.3 software is still a GREAT tablet. It's 7" screen is just a little small at times, otherwise it's hard to beat & I don't think the new N7 offers that much improvement in actual user experience.
    08-01-2013 08:05 AM
    Based on your wife's requests and want to look into 7 inch sized tablets...
    In would look at the 2013 N7. To buy the year old one vs new the big difference I can see is screen resolution. I have the original and love it and I don't see any reason to upgrade at this point. As I mention 2013 N7 at least 32GB wifi only.

Choice 2, look into Hisense Pro tablet. It has gotten rave reviews. There is a forum on AC. Look for Other Tablets and search for Hisense Pro. About $140 I believe. It is about 6 months old and just got an update. I don't think it was a 4.3 update though

Sent from my N7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-01-2013 09:11 PM
    Based on your wife's requests and want to look into 7 inch sized tablets...
    In would look at the 2013 N7. To buy the year old one vs new the big difference I can see is screen resolution. I have the original and love it and I don't see any reason to upgrade at this point. As I mention 2013 N7 at least 32GB wifi only.

Choice 2, look into Hisense Pro tablet. It has gotten rave reviews. There is a forum on AC. Look for Other Tablets and search for Hisense Pro. About $140 I believe. It is about 6 months old and just got an update. I don't think it was a 4.3 update though

Sent from my N7 using Tapatalk 2
    Wow, thanks for that tablet info. If we decide to go with a 7 inch tablet then we may go with that one (only issue I see is memory, N7's 32 vs 8 on that one, I know it is expandable, but I don't want to spend more money when I could have bought a device that had more memory to begin with). Again it seems to come down to screen size. She wants the bigger screen, but with the N7 specs...
    08-02-2013 10:53 AM
    staples has the 2012 n7 32gb for 199. there is also an additional coupon for $30 off the old n7, which will bring it down to $169. There is an additional $10 any purchases of $100 or more, but im not sure that you can combine the coupons. its worth a shot anyway. Both coupons expire on 08/04/2013

here are the coupons:
    Save $30 Instantly on a Nexus 7. Coupon Code 20098
    Save $10 off any purchase of $100 or more. Coupon Code 95542

I hope you can find that infor useful.
    08-02-2013 01:20 PM
    I want to get a tablet for my wife, she wants a 9 to 10 inch, but doesn't want to spend too much. Would a new 2012 N7 be worth the price, or is there a larger tab that is better suited? She is thinking the Nook HD+ I think it is called, since it is 9 inches and only about 150. What do you think?
    Depends on how picky she is. I wanted both a 7" and larger device. Plus my eyes need a higher resolution to be comfortable. I bought the Nook HD+ because it was affordable, has a decent screen and is relatively light weight. It's OK, however, I find that I would really prefer a stock Android experience. Just using a launcher and customizing my home screen isn't quite cutting it for me. Once my N7 2 arrives, I may try to root the Nook, even though I've never done anything like that before.

I do like the Nook, and for the price a great deal!

Edit: It is great for reading magazines! I also like having the larger screen for PDFs. This will probably be mostly a home tablet and possibly for travel, since I have no laptop. The N7 2 will be more of an every day carry device. I wanted a Nexus10 for home and travel, but wasn't sure I'd use enough to justify the price.

Sent from my Nook HD+
    08-02-2013 01:27 PM
    Get the new 2013 model, it worth the slight bump in price. And the screen is amazing supposedly. She will love it.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-02-2013 10:25 PM
    Your wife will be pissed she can't take pictures and share them.get the new Nexus 7 with the two cameras and decent sound.
    08-02-2013 11:36 PM
    Reading magazines on a seven inch screen is a bit of a downer... I'm tracking about magazines from Google play... I might end up purchasing a larger tablet just for the magazines. Although texting on a 7 inch screen is way easier than a 10inch screen!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-05-2013 03:26 PM