Should I just chalk up my problems to crappy Asus hardware and get a Samsung tablet?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Seriously. I got the N7 near launch day and have had tons of trouble with it. Flickering screen when dimmed down, severe ghosting, tons of slowdowns for which I have reloaded the OS a couple or three times as well as ran the "Forever Gone" app a few times to fix the memory issues when free space gets down to a few GB. Now I just got 4.3 and some apps don't work and the thing is frustratingly SLOW. benchmark software shows it's running at a tiny fraction of the speed it should be running at. is this just not fixable? did I get duped by Google/Asus? I should have been more leery about the low price I guess. if anyone has a VIABLE solution to the slowdown that does NOT include RESETTING to FACTORY, I'm all ears. otherwise, it's going up on Craigslist and I'll get something with a nice screen and FAST RESPONSE. As that memorable line goes, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!"

Last edited:

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
When I got my N7 last Xmas it acted very strange and did all kinds of flickering until the display finally quit. I took the back off and found the battery partially unplugged. I reconnected it and shimmed the battery so it could not move around in the compartment and has been working perfect now since. Maybe?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
When I got my N7 last Xmas it acted very strange and did all kinds of flickering until the display finally quit. I took the back off and found the battery partially unplugged. I reconnected it and shimmed the battery so it could not move around in the compartment and has been working perfect now since. Maybe?

the flicker is the well-known flicker when wifi signal is low and the brightness is turned down quite a ways. has done it ever since I got it last year.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Seriously. I got the N7 near launch day and have had tons of trouble with it. Flickering screen when dimmed down, severe ghosting, tons of slowdowns for which I have reloaded the OS a couple or three times as well as ran the "Forever Gone" app a few times to fix the memory issues when free space gets down to a few GB. Now I just got 4.3 and some apps don't work and the thing is frustratingly SLOW. benchmark software shows it's running at a tiny fraction of the speed it should be running at. is this just not fixable? did I get duped by Google/Asus? I should have been more leery about the low price I guess. if anyone has a VIABLE solution to the slowdown that does NOT include RESETTING to FACTORY, I'm all ears. otherwise, it's going up on Craigslist and I'll get something with a nice screen and FAST RESPONSE. As that memorable line goes, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!"

Ditch it and get something that works. I have the note 8 and it has run quick and incredibly stable since day one. I love everything about it.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say Asus makes crappy hardware, perhaps in the tablet market. But in the PC and laptop market they are top notch. They are the main supplier for both dell and HP desktops.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say Asus makes crappy hardware, perhaps in the tablet market. But in the PC and laptop market they are top notch. They are the main supplier for both dell and HP desktops.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

As much trouble as I've had with my N7 I'd say Asus made a crappy product. flickering screen, washed out screen, wimpy speaker. Stupid me for buying it. I was tempted by the low price.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung makes a nice tablet. ...and they offer a lot of choices. ...in a lot of sizes. S Pen or not. I'd say, with this, that Samsung is a pretty safe bet.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Samsung makes a nice tablet. ...and they offer a lot of choices. ...in a lot of sizes. S Pen or not. I'd say, with this, that Samsung is a pretty safe bet.

Yah, I saw one of the 8" tablets (the Tab; not the Note) at Office Depot--the screen is beautiful, but I'd like to get one of the 1080p screens which shouldn't be too much longer down the road I hope! I sure like my Note 2, plus I like having the more useful Polaris Office than the problematic Kingsoft Office. KO wrecked one or two of my spreadsheets. They would no longer open on MS Excel after having been opened on KO and then saved with very minimal editing. Plus I don't see any advantage to having a Nexus device when everytime that an update comes out, somethings are broken. By the time Samsung releases updates, kinks in apps for the newer OS version are unlikely to still be present given the time elapsed. If I never get an update to my Note 2 I'm not going to be upset, as it works perfectly for everything I use it for as it has since launch day last Sept.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I love my Samsung Note 8.0 and S4, which is ironic given how much I was once against their use of plastic in their casing. ...but I've had and S3, Note 2, and Note 10.1. There were never any quality control issues in any of them and I'm quite anal when it comes to my gadgets. Samsung has made a believer out of me and that was no easy task.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I love my Samsung Note 8.0 and S4, which is ironic given how much I was once against their use of plastic in their casing. ...but I've had and S3, Note 2, and Note 10.1. There were never any quality control issues in any of them and I'm quite anal when it comes to my gadgets. Samsung has made a believer out of me and that was no easy task.

I don't know why all the angst over the plastic. I've had my Note 2 in a flip leather case (or faux, whatever) since I bought it, so I don't see, feel or think about the plastic. All I see is the front and the black chrome top and bottom areas. it looks just fine. Apple fanatics just LOVE to b*tch about Samsung's use of plastic. They seem pretty worried that Apple is losing the war with Android, so they have got to mock SOMETHING, and I guess the plastic is about the only thing their little minds can latch onto. Maybe they should spend their time asking Apple to make a decent size screen for once instead of trying to goad Samsung users re the plastic case. LOL!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why all the angst over the plastic. I've had my Note 2 in a flip leather case (or faux, whatever) since I bought it, so I don't see, feel or think about the plastic. All I see is the front and the black chrome top and bottom areas. it looks just fine. Apple fanatics just LOVE to b*tch about Samsung's use of plastic. They seem pretty worried that Apple is losing the war with Android, so they have got to mock SOMETHING, and I guess the plastic is about the only thing their little minds can latch onto. Maybe they should spend their time asking Apple to make a decent size screen for once instead of trying to goad Samsung users re the plastic case. LOL!

I feel kinda sorry for iPhone lovers...but ignorance is bliss.