Curious.. is anyone here sorry they got the tablet?

drokssilva

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Nope not at all. I've had other tablets but the Nexus 7 beat them by far. I just upgraded to the new nexus 7, if you can afford it you definitely should buy the newer model.

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, you'll use it.
I don't have a Nexus 7 but I do have a Tab 7.0 Plus, which not near as nice as the Nexus, and I find myself carrying the Tab with me when I go out for appointments, vacations, etc. The 7" tablet just feels more portable than my Nexus 10 and on the road it does just about everything my 10" can do.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My N7 (2012) version, has treated me well. It has allowed me to put down the bulky laptop on many occasions.

I don't regret my tablet one bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
NexusGirl.. you only got 4 hours screen time? Yikes.. that's not much at all though am not sure I completely understand your post, LOL. I was under the impression an N7 would get well over 8-10 hrs.

A lot of that depends on what you're doing with it while the screen is on. Netflix, for example, is going to use a lot more data and power than if you were reading an ebook. You may not be concerned with data use if you're on wifi, but data-intensive applications will still use a considerable amount of juice while running. Still though, I think 8-10 hours would be a lofty expectation for this device regardless of what you're doing. I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't get one, but realistically, that's about what you should expect as far as battery performance goes.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A lot of that depends on what you're doing with it while the screen is on. Netflix, for example, is going to use a lot more data and power than if you were reading an ebook. You may not be concerned with data use if you're on wifi, but data-intensive applications will still use a considerable amount of juice while running. Still though, I think 8-10 hours would be a lofty expectation for this device regardless of what you're doing. I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't get one, but realistically, that's about what you should expect as far as battery performance goes.

8-10 hrs....not gonna happen. I could have gotten 5 hrs because I had about 13% left when I plugged it in.

I have an iPad Mini that constantly give me between 10-15 hrs depending on what I do with it. That is the only device that I have ever owned that delivered the usage time it promised.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
8-10 hrs....not gonna happen. I could have gotten 5 hrs because I had about 13% left when I plugged it in.

I have an iPad Mini that constantly give me between 10-15 hrs depending on what I do with it. That is the only device that I have ever owned that delivered the usage time it promised.

Yeah, battery life is one area where iPads seem to outperform Android tablets (both full-sized and mini tablets). This isn't something that would get me to switch, but none the less is true.

I ended up selling my Nexus 7 to my brother in law a while back because I wanted to get a Nexus 10, and it's the same story. Now, I'm VERY happy with the N10 and got almost no complaints...however, while standby battery life is great, it probably averages 5 hours screen time when I'm actually using it.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm seeing some nearly new first gen models around for about $100, it's tempting. So am wondering if anyone here falls into the category of "it's a nice device but I really don't use it that much".
Probably the people selling theirs for $100. :D :D

I use my original Nexus 7 several days a week. I have been thinking about upgrading to Gen2 but am still on the fence. If I didn't already have the Gen1, I would pay the extra hundred or so to get the new one, just for the 1920x1200 increase over 1280x800. The Gen1 is perfectly fine for youtube videos and many games. (Heck, it's slightly better than 720p HD.) However, I mostly use my N7 for text (email, ebooks, forums) so double the pixels should be a significant improvement for reading. But even so, the original model is good enough that I'm in no rush, and at $100 it's a good buy for a child or as a loaner. On the other hand, for someone who has young eyes and a decent smart phone, the original Nexus 7 would be largely redundant.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The 4.3 update for the 2012 N7 really helped to make the tablet usable again. Before the update I don't think I could recommend the 2012 over the 2013, but with the the update it's not bad if you can score it for under $100.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again.. it's funny to me how many people on Craig's list have the N7 they bought a couple months ago and are posting it for sale for as much as the Staples closeouts.. they'll learn it just ain't gonna happen, LOL. Glad to hear the 4.3 update improves things too...Am just going to bide my time and see what surfaces.. Seems like people that do eBooks prefer the N7 FHD due to its screen

The 4.3 update for the 2012 N7 really helped to make the tablet usable again. Before the update I don't think I could recommend the 2012 over the 2013, but with the the update it's not bad if you can score it for under $100.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I got a Note 8.0 a bit over a month ago and I absolutely love it. It just does everything I ask of it. I even got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (for those times when I want that). The tablet is great for using RDP or LogMeIn to remote to my desktop, it's great for reading, great for the light gaming that I do. Definitely a purchase I've been happy with.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol