Music Player for restricted users

SimonR7

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My boys have a Nexus 7 each and I have set them up with a restricted user account. When i download a music player I can see the music in my account but not when I login as them? Does anyone else know of how i can overcome this without giving them full access? Any suggestions of good music players would be appreciated.:)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

My boys have a Nexus 7 each and I have set them up with a restricted user account. When i download a music player I can see the music in my account but not when I login as them? Does anyone else know of how i can overcome this without giving them full access? Any suggestions of good music players would be appreciated.:)

Power Amp is a good player. I like it a lot. I am not sure how to answer your other question though. Other than random checking the device to make sure the files that are there are the one syou approve of.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Provide some additional information about how you set up the restricted accounts if possible and the actual method/app that you are using to download the music (for example are you using Google Play Music?). You should be able to grant access to your music player of choice and the associated music folder, but you may have to delete the restricted account and start over from scratch.

Dave Pennington

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue - music loaded into a folder on my son's Nexus 7 can be viewed by the device owner but not by his restricted account.

I have tried:
  • Play Music
  • VLC
  • RealPlayer

All with the same result. For a restircted account you can set Apps to be visible but not media folders - it seems like none of the music apps have permission to scan / use the music folder?

Anyone got any ideas how I fix this? Fairly annoying!

Further testing shows that the same restriction also seems to apply to Gallery folders - so it does look like a permissions issue. I can't see anywhere to allow / restrict folder permissions?

It's a Nexus 7 running Jelly bean 4.3.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

DarrylGittins

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Did you find an answer? The same issue persists all the way to Marshmallow. Very annoying. I've set up a restricted profile on my kid's tablet but there's no apparant way to access music. Come on, Google. This is really LAME.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer