anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So I am confused about Google voice yet I want to use it. So I have a phone with 3G and I have a number that I want to keep but its under contact. Also I get horrible service at my parents house. So I don't know if I can do this with voice but this is what I want to do. Give out my Google number to everyone and use it for SMS on my phone and nexus 7. I also would like to use it for calls as I love the idea of 1 number. What are the speeds recommended for a voice call over 3G? My phone usually pulls in 1mpbs down and around .2mbps up with a ping around 100-150ms. Is that enough to call? And how much data would a 20min call over 3G use? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Using something like GrooveIP will give you phone calls on your Nexus 7. Pair that with the Google Voice app and you'll get SMS and receive voice-mail as well. I have that setup on mine and it works pretty good. Not sure about how much data it uses since I mostly use it this way over wifi.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I do:

I give out my Google Voice number. I have grooveip set to accept calls on wifi but not on data since it doesn't work well for me on 4g. The google voice number is also set to forward to my cell number. So basically if someone calls and I am home on wifi it goes to google voice. If I am out grooveip turns off and it forwards to my cell number.

Keep in mind too that mms doesn't work on google voice if you use that a lot.

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I do:

I give out my Google Voice number. I have grooveip set to accept calls on wifi but not on data since it doesn't work well for me on 4g. The google voice number is also set to forward to my cell number. So basically if someone calls and I am home on wifi it goes to google voice. If I am out grooveip turns off and it forwards to my cell number.

Keep in mind too that mms doesn't work on google voice if you use that a lot.

OK. Thanks. How do you get Google voice to turn off when you aren't on WiFi???

goingminimalist73.blogspot.com

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
OK. Thanks. How do you get Google voice to turn off when you aren't on WiFi???

It doesn't actually turn off but since grooveip is off and I don't have it on any other device it just forwards to my home number. When I am on WiFi what its actually doing is ringing both numbers but the grooveip dialer overrides the stock dialer so I answer it there first.

Posted via Android Central App

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't actually turn off but since grooveip is off and I don't have it on any other device it just forwards to my home number. When I am on WiFi what its actually doing is ringing both numbers but the grooveip dialer overrides the stock dialer so I answer it there first.

Did you port in your number?? I cant as of now so I don't know how I can use Google voice. I mean what do I do about it? I love in nh and the closest number I could get was VT and my family uses my phone number all the time for calls

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Did you port in your number?? I cant as of now so I don't know how I can use Google voice. I mean what do I do about it? I love in nh and the closest number I could get was VT and my family uses my phone number all the time for calls

I just give my Google Voice number out. With friends and family I rarely make voice calls its all text so I just use my cell number.