Nexus 7 and external hardrives.

obamabeard

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everybody!

Okay so i'm in desperate need of help. So what I am trying to do is upload files from an sd card onto my nexus 7 via Nexus Media Importer & OTG cable. Then from there transfer those files onto an external hardrive so that I have a back up of my photos. I have a few questions;

1. Is this possible as long as my nexus is rooted and I have stick mount?
2. Which hardrives will this be compatible? I know that power supply is a problem but I dont care if I need to plug the hardrive into the wall to get it going. I just need a list of some hardrives (power supply or not) that will work to do this. I have seen online that the WD Passport seems to work just from the power supplied by nexus 7, is this correct?

Thanks.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It should work. As to which hard drives are compatible, as long as you are okay with plugging the drive into a power supply, any should work. I think the more important question would be how you format the drive. FAT32 is probably safest, not sure if NTFS write will work even with stickmount...never tried it.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello Everybody!

Okay so i'm in desperate need of help. So what I am trying to do is upload files from an sd card onto my nexus 7 via Nexus Media Importer & OTG cable. Then from there transfer those files onto an external hardrive so that I have a back up of my photos. I have a few questions;

1. Is this possible as long as my nexus is rooted and I have stick mount?
2. Which hardrives will this be compatible? I know that power supply is a problem but I dont care if I need to plug the hardrive into the wall to get it going. I just need a list of some hardrives (power supply or not) that will work to do this. I have seen online that the WD Passport seems to work just from the power supplied by nexus 7, is this correct?

Thanks.

My 500GB WD Passports will work without additional power but my 1TB WD Passport will not.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My 750Gb Passport requires power, which I supply with a special cable that has two usb male and one microusb male. The second usb can be connected to a pc or ac for power. I'm rooted using Stickmount and installed the ntfs-3g script file from the Stickmount description in Play store to provide NTFS support. I can read/write/stream to and from the Passport. Amazon carries the two headed cable, I think. I'm using one from my external dvd/rw drive.

Rich Vi

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1Tb Passport that I had originally set up with my laptop using Windows XP. I had ran the Passport's software then to access my files. I am assuming this is the reason why my Nexus 7 is not recognizing it. I have the OTG cable, external power source of 30,000mpha, and the Nexus Media app. Anyone have any idea as to how I can inactivate the Passport's software? Or I'm even willing to reformat my WD just so that I can access it, but again, it is not even being recognized. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I also am using a Windows laptop running XP and have a Google Nexus 7 tablet (2012 version). Using an OTG cable, I cannot connect my 1Gb WD My Passport HDD (Model WD50000ME-1) to the tablet; only various sized USB thumb drives.

In December 2013, I purchased the RavPower File Hub Wireless SD Flash Card Reader / USB Storage Media Sharing / NAS File Server / Power Bank / Wi-Fi Hot Spot (Model RP-WD01) for $45 dollars from Amazon. **

This is truly an amazing device for its many functions & affordable price**. It now allows me to connect any portable HDD or SD flash card to it and then wirelessly stream the contents to my Nexus 7 tablet using the AirStor app (free on Google Play Store). It also allows others to access the contents of the attached portable storage (USB & SD flash) at the same time - using their laptops / iPads / iPhones / android tablets or phones. Up to 5 people/devices can connect to it at the same time.

I have successfully connected both my 1Gb WD My Passport Portable drive or my 2Gb WD My Book Desktop drive (ModelWDBACW0020HBK-NESN) and was able to wirelessly streamed content to my GN7 table. Both HHD’s draw their power via USB from the included Power Bank on the RavPower. I highly recommend this device for its functionality and mobility. GeekBeatTV / Gizmodo / Engadet websites have all given it sterling reviews. It is the perfect accessory for the GN7 tablet user.

**Note: This device got so many rave reviews around Xmas time as a stocking stuffer that its current price on Amazon has risen to $100 dollars (when in-stock). However, as of today, the RavPower website currently lists it for $50 dollars).