Nexus 7: Replaced LCD and digitizer & now it won't charge

andr01dm

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

Yesterday I replaced the broken digitzer (& still working LCD) on my Nexus 7. They both work fine, but now it refuses to charge; I get the battery charging symbols when it's powered off but it doesn't take a charge. When booted into Android I get the text "Plug in the charger" on the unlock screen, even though the charger is plugged in.

I've tried several fixes that I've found online:
  • hold down power button for 30 seconds or more
  • boot into bootloader, power off, unplug USB charger, plug it back in again
  • factory reset

I've also tried charging with the dock, which also fails. I've opened it back up again and triple checked the battery & USB connectors to the motherboard. The battery was sitting in a box with the rest of the parts for almost a month while I waited for the screen to arrive from Taiwan. It's unlocked but running stock 4.2 Android.

Any suggestions..?

andr01dm

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
My partner noticed that even though it's complaining about the low battery, it isn't shutting itself off. So I've had it playing NetFlix for the past hour with 0% battery showing. I guess it's just really mis-calibrated. >.<

andr01dm

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Follow up:

I manually installed 4.3, then rolled back to 4.2.2, and it made no difference.

Opened up the battery wrapper, but didn't see any obvious issues.

Guess I'll have to try a new battery to see if it's a hardware problem, but since this one works (aside from always reporting 0%) it's a pretty low priority and it'll be a while before I do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37