I have a triple question and have been unable to find an answer, either on Google or these forums. Although the question has been asked a good few times no one has ever given the answer I need.

How do I recover deleted files (including films, movies, videos and photos) on my Android Google Nexus 7 (2012) which has not been rooted? I have basic understanding and realise the files can only be retrieved if they aren't overwritten so I have kept my usage to a minimum. I also have a recovery program on my PC but it can't detect the Nexus so I would love a step by step on how get the nexus read as a hard drive by the PC and then the step by step would carry on for how to recover files.

Secondly the reason I deleted the files was because their image previews were showing up in my gallery so I thought I was deleting a screenshot of the video/ film rather than the files itself. is there anyway to remove these annoying pictures from the default nexus gallery without deleting actual video/ film file?

Finally when I access Google or other trusted sites from my tablet it tells me that my connection is insecure and that I shouldn't go to the site. Also I can't access the play store and I assume it's for the same reason, so is there anyway to let the tablet know I am on a secure connection? (it's my Wi-Fi so I know its fine) I've tried deleting my credentials but that didn't resolve the issue. (plus I don't know how to get them back)

Sorry for all the questions but any information would be so helpful.

Thanks. Comben :-)
    09-15-2013 09:07 AM
    Does anybody know a way to salvige the files... getting worried about them now.

Cheers. Comben
    09-17-2013 09:24 AM
    It should be possible to connect your N7 to a pc and use an undelete program from the pc to recover the files on the N7 internal memory. Don't use the N7 if possible to avoid overwriting the deleted files space.
    09-17-2013 10:09 AM
    Thanks Groid, but the recovery program I'm using on my PC doesn't recognised the N7 as a hard drive, is there anyway to change this? (I have turned on USB debugging without success) Also just fot the record my N7 works fine when connected to the PC to add or take off files.

Also can anyone shed any light on the other questions as well?

Comben
    09-17-2013 09:14 PM
    Sorry to bump such an old post but now my Nexus seems to have lost files.

I had it connected to the PC and after about 15 minutes I checked it and folders were missing from the tablet. I have tried restarting the device without success and would love to try a data recovery program but there is no option for USB mass storage on an unrooted nexus... is there a work around for this problem. Can I get back my missing files?

Cheers Comben
    12-30-2013 08:41 AM
    I wish someone had answered this question as I am having the same issue. My Nexus 7 does not show up as a lettered drive in my PC so I cannot use any of the reputable PC recovery programs I have downloaded. Does anyone have a solution for this situation? Please help.
    12-02-2014 01:06 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is your Nexus 7 otherwise functioning? Does it boot up normally? When you connect the tablet to your computer via USB, does anything register? When an Android device connects via MTP protocol on USB, it doesn't show up as a drive--it shows up as a device.
    12-19-2014 02:13 AM