MY NEXUS 7 DOESN'T HAVE PLAY STORE :( (the app) PLEASE HELP ME ;(

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Dear person who can help me and is using your time to read this,

I had my Nexus 7 repaired at ASUS (it was stuck on the Google logo at start up and it would reboot to that logo after 5 secs.. and the factory reset would not work) and I got it back a few days ago and I open it up and here are some things that I notice:
1. There was no lock screen like no little lock thing like before when I first bought it on Oct 25 2012 and so I put a password and it didn't even ask for my password.. and there was no lock screen -.-
2. ALOT OF IMPORTANT APPS ARE MISSING.. like Google apps as in Google search, the camera, the Google+, magazine, movies.. etc.
3. But what was also missing (which is the whole reason I've been so excited to get my nexus fixed) ... THE PLAY STORE. idk even know what to do.. D;

I called ASUS and they didn't do anything but give me new RMA#'s.. .-. and then said I might need to return it for repair AGAIN. ugh I need some knowledge guys.. :(

P.s there's this weird red square that shows up around the border of the screen when its like loading or something or when I open up settings.

P.s.s I still have a 1-year warranty if that's important :/ till Oct 25 2013

P.s.s.s I hope no one has this same problem as me . ITS TERRIBLE -.- :(

SOMEONE REPLY SOON :( :( :( :( :( :(
I have absolutely know clue what to do. Help me please?

Hopeless Person ;(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Ok, let's take this step by step.

1. Are you saying that when you got it back, your lockscreen was gone? Go to Settings/Security/Screen Lock, and make sure it's set to anything besides "None."

2. So when you open the App Drawer (i.e., tap on the center circular icon at the bottom tray), you can't find Google, Google+, Play Magazines, etc.? Go to Settings/Apps, and swipe all the way over to the right. Do the columns end with "All," or is there a "Disabled" column? If so, look at the Disabled list and see if you can find any of those missing apps there. Tap them and tap Enable.

2.1 By the way, there is no Camera app

3. If you don't see "Play Store" in the App Drawer and you can't find it in the Disabled list, what happens when you tap the Play Store icon at the upper right of the App Drawer?

Also, look under Settings/Developer Options. Is it switched on? (Look at the switch at the upper right of that menu.) Not sure if this would affect anything, but turn it off.

Hope something here helps!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Dear person who can help me and is using your time to read this,

I had my Nexus 7 repaired at ASUS (it was stuck on the Google logo at start up and it would reboot to that logo after 5 secs.. and the factory reset would not work) and I got it back a few days ago and I open it up and here are some things that I notice:
1. There was no lock screen like no little lock thing like before when I first bought it on Oct 25 2012 and so I put a password and it didn't even ask for my password.. and there was no lock screen -.-
2. ALOT OF IMPORTANT APPS ARE MISSING.. like Google apps as in Google search, the camera, the Google+, magazine, movies.. etc.
3. But what was also missing (which is the whole reason I've been so excited to get my nexus fixed) ... THE PLAY STORE. idk even know what to do.. D;

I called ASUS and they didn't do anything but give me new RMA#'s.. .-. and then said I might need to return it for repair AGAIN. ugh I need some knowledge guys.. :(

P.s there's this weird red square that shows up around the border of the screen when its like loading or something or when I open up settings.

P.s.s I still have a 1-year warranty if that's important :/ till Oct 25 2013

P.s.s.s I hope no one has this same problem as me . ITS TERRIBLE -.- :(

SOMEONE REPLY SOON :( :( :( :( :( :(
I have absolutely know clue what to do. Help me please?

Hopeless Person ;(

Go for what B. Diddy suggested. After that, you could download the .apk for Play and install it.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Ok, let's take this step by step.

1. Are you saying that when you got it back, your lockscreen was gone? Go to Settings/Security/Screen Lock, and make sure it's set to anything besides "None."

2. So when you open the App Drawer (i.e., tap on the center circular icon at the bottom tray), you can't find Google, Google+, Play Magazines, etc.? Go to Settings/Apps, and swipe all the way over to the right. Do the columns end with "All," or is there a "Disabled" column? If so, look at the Disabled list and see if you can find any of those missing apps there. Tap them and tap Enable.

2.1 By the way, there is no Camera app

3. If you don't see "Play Store" in the App Drawer and you can't find it in the Disabled list, what happens when you tap the Play Store icon at the upper right of the App Drawer?

Also, look under Settings/Developer Options. Is it switched on? (Look at the switch at the upper right of that menu.) Not sure if this would affect anything, but turn it off.

Hope something here helps!

Thank You so much for replying

1. yes when I got it back there was no lock screen and I put it on "Slide" and it still doesn't show up. I also tried "Pin" and doesn't work.

2. The apps (Google, Google+, Play Magazines, etc) are not in the "All" column or "Running" column or "Downloads" column. And there's no "Disabled" column either.

3. I don't even have the Play Store visible on the screen like there's no way I can tap it because its not even there. And I turned off the Developers Options but I don't think it did anything.

Sadly nothing worked but thanks for helping

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is your Nexus 7 running Jellybean 4.2 or 4.3? On 4.2, disabled apps are at the bottom of the System/Apps/All list, so if you have 4.2, scroll down to the very bottom of that list to see if there are any disabled apps there.

On my Nexus 7 with 4.3, I think I may have found a tiny glitch in regards to the Disabled Apps list. With 4.3, the Disabled Apps list should be to the right of the All Apps list. I have definitely disabled some apps, but when I first bring up Settings/Apps after not using my tablet for a while, I don't see the Disabled Apps list. However, if I pick another system app to disable (like "Basic Daydreams," for example), then the Disabled Apps list shows up. So try that--find a system app like Basic Daydreams, select it, and tap Disable. Then see if a Disabled Apps list appears under Settings/Apps.

If you still can't find the missing apps, you could try to install the Google Play Store .apk as mentioned above. Go to this site (com.android.vending-4.3.11.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device) and wait 10 seconds to be able to download the installer file. Don't worry, this link is directly from AndroidPolice.com, another well-established site. Download that .apk directly to your Nexus 7. Then go to Downloads and select the .apk to install it.

I'm really not sure about the other issues you're having. I hope you find a solution soon!

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want to send it back to Asus again, you could try following the factory image restore guide in the Rooting, ROMs and Hacks sub-forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is your Nexus 7 running Jellybean 4.2 or 4.3? On 4.2, disabled apps are at the bottom of the System/Apps/All list, so if you have 4.2, scroll down to the very bottom of that list to see if there are any disabled apps there.

On my Nexus 7 with 4.3, I think I may have found a tiny glitch in regards to the Disabled Apps list. With 4.3, the Disabled Apps list should be to the right of the All Apps list. I have definitely disabled some apps, but when I first bring up Settings/Apps after not using my tablet for a while, I don't see the Disabled Apps list. However, if I pick another system app to disable (like "Basic Daydreams," for example), then the Disabled Apps list shows up. So try that--find a system app like Basic Daydreams, select it, and tap Disable. Then see if a Disabled Apps list appears under Settings/Apps.

If you still can't find the missing apps, you could try to install the Google Play Store .apk as mentioned above. Go to this site (com.android.vending-4.3.11.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device) and wait 10 seconds to be able to download the installer file. Don't worry, this link is directly from AndroidPolice.com, another well-established site. Download that .apk directly to your Nexus 7. Then go to Downloads and select the .apk to install it.

I'm really not sure about the other issues you're having. I hope you find a solution soon!

Additional info to the OP: you will most likely have to go to Settings>Security>Unknown Sources and check that box. Install won't happen without it.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

thank you soooo much :)

- - - Updated - - -

thanks alot guys i hope it works

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok so i downloaded the .apk from com.android.vending-4.3.11.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device and its on my nexus but it doesn't open what do i do now? D:

Look under Settings/Apps/All for Google Play Services. Do you see that? I imagine that Play Store won't work without Play Services. The current version is 3.2.65. You could try downloading the .apk file directly to your tablet by going to this site (Android Apps,Games Apk – Google Play services 3.2.65 Apk Download) and selecting either Download Link 1 or 2. Please note that your Unknown Sources setting has to be checked on, and also be aware that I haven't vetted this site, so there is always a potential for malware.

You also didn't mention if you were able to find a Disabled App list. If you don't see any, please do what I suggested and temporarily disable some other unimportant system app like a live wallpaper, then see if the Disabled App list appears.

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Look under Settings/Apps/All for Google Play Services. Do you see that? I imagine that Play Store won't work without Play Services. The current version is 3.2.65. You could try downloading the .apk file directly to your tablet by going to this site (Android Apps,Games Apk – Google Play services 3.2.65 Apk Download) and selecting either Download Link 1 or 2. Please note that your Unknown Sources setting has to be checked on, and also be aware that I haven't vetted this site, so there is always a potential for malware.

You also didn't mention if you were able to find a Disabled App list. If you don't see any, please do what I suggested and temporarily disable some other unimportant system app like a live wallpaper, then see if the Disabled App list appears.

I disabled the messaging app and the Disabled Apps list didn't show up but next to Messaging in the "All" column is said Disabled.

And I don't see Google Play Services

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the .apk for Google Play Services and the Play Store wont work. I tap it and it wont even open for 5 secs.

Also when I disable system apps like Android live wallpapers it goes straight to the bottom of the "All" list and says Disabled to the right of it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What version of Android are you on? Sounds like you're still on 4.2. What does it say under Settings/About Device/Android Version?

If it isn't 4.3, go to Settings/About Device/System Updates, and tap Check for Updates (while on wifi).